Just stumbled across this photo belonging to Charlie Verrall. His photos are always superb and well worth a look.
It shows E6040 (73133) in rail blue approaching Keymer Junction, working a Down Newhaven Boat train. On what looks like newly painted blue and grey coaches (there appears to be that white lining boarder around the grey. Photo taken July 1967. 

2F136F2F-F7A3-4B54-B4E5-EED3FBFD5370.jpeg.ce374412f964d064b6210bd7f9f7bf3d.jpeg

• Like 12

I got the impression from the Bluebell guys posting on their FB site that they had enough to do with the loco while it is at Eastleigh and that the intention over time when at the Bluebell would be to do something with the more modern marker lights and perhaps add back the indicator box/panel

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2023 at 10:26, 60526 said:

I got the impression from the Bluebell guys posting on their FB site that they had enough to do with the loco while it is at Eastleigh and that the intention over time when at the Bluebell would be to do something with the more modern marker lights and perhaps add back the indicator box/panel

Lets hope it can have the modern marker lights removed / indicator panel reinstated to improve its appearance

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 15/02/2023 at 21:15, rogerzilla said:

I'd be surprised if Jeremy Hosking makes much, if any, money out of his LSL fleet.  It's probably a money pit, but he can afford it as a hobby.

How much do you have to hire out a loco to pay for the next £1m heavy overhaul?  No volunteer labour likely, as it would be done at commercial rates by Riley or similar.

You could be right but they do operate a large number of charters from various stating points in the country using their Pullman HST which must be making an excellent financial return...

A few short videos shot at Horsted Keynes during the Branch Line Weekend:

I hope that they're of interest.  Lots more to follow as time permits...

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, steve45 said:

Are the Lanky engines going to be on the Bluebell for long?

The LMS liveried 0-4-0 has gone already, there was a Facebook post this week of it arriving at the next gala.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Standard four tank runs around at Sheffield Park.

Compress_20230501_175947_7761.jpg.6921dd8464f3754b0cb503e4f83cb7ee.jpg

Good set of traders yesterday but bad luck for the railway that the field was waterlogged after over night rain. Staff did the best they could putting cars wherever possible. Weather was good in the day though most importantly. Even though I was there socially I still picked a few things up for ongoing projects.

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having just read the Spring 2023 Bluebell News, I have sent the following email to Don Brewer, BRPS Membership Trustee:

"Dear Don,

I was somewhat dismayed to read, in the Spring 2023 BN, that this will be the last issue that I receive by post. As requested, by this message I am confirming my email address.

However, I’ve been a member for around 50 years (barring a short period in the late 1970s/early 1980s) and, especially since I moved to Australia, the arrival of BN every three months is the sole remaining tangible connection that I have with the railway. It doesn’t worry me that it is always several weeks late – for up-to-date news I can read Bluebell Times and look at the website.

Reading BN online, or even printing it off as a PDF, will be a poor substitute.

I do have a suggestion that I hope can be considered by you and the BRPS committee.

Some other UK-based organisations that I belong to offer two subscription rates for overseas members – a standard rate without a printed journal and a higher rate for those who wish to receive a printed version by post.

I (and, I suspect, others in my position) would be prepared to pay a higher subscription that would include receiving BN by post, as now.

Please consider this and, I hope, reverse the decision to go on-line only for us overseas members.

Thanks.

With best wishes to all at the Railway in these challenging times.

Regards

[my name]

[my membership number]"

If anyone else feels the same way, please write in similar terms to Don to try to get the decision reversed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Just had this reply from Gavin Bennett:

"The decision has been suspended.   We will make copies available online for those members who want them.  Some members in the Asia and the Far East never get their copies or not for at least six months."

Good news and great to have such a swift response on a Sunday. Excellent.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I always prefer to receive anything like this electronically

I prefer the opposite!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Having just read the Spring 2023 Bluebell News, I have sent the following email to Don Brewer, BRPS Membership Trustee:

"Dear Don,

I was somewhat dismayed to read, in the Spring 2023 BN, that this will be the last issue that I receive by post. As requested, by this message I am confirming my email address.

However, I’ve been a member for around 50 years (barring a short period in the late 1970s/early 1980s) and, especially since I moved to Australia, the arrival of BN every three months is the sole remaining tangible connection that I have with the railway. It doesn’t worry me that it is always several weeks late – for up-to-date news I can read Bluebell Times and look at the website.

Reading BN online, or even printing it off as a PDF, will be a poor substitute.

I do have a suggestion that I hope can be considered by you and the BRPS committee.

Some other UK-based organisations that I belong to offer two subscription rates for overseas members – a standard rate without a printed journal and a higher rate for those who wish to receive a printed version by post.

I (and, I suspect, others in my position) would be prepared to pay a higher subscription that would include receiving BN by post, as now.

Please consider this and, I hope, reverse the decision to go on-line only for us overseas members.

Thanks.

With best wishes to all at the Railway in these challenging times.

Regards

[my name]

[my membership number]"

If anyone else feels the same way, please write in similar terms to Don to try to get the decision reversed.

I don’t think I’ll be renewing my membership this year.

Late last year I emailed Don as I hadn’t received the last 2 issues, at the time I felt he wasn’t really interested.

The winter one arrived, to which I emailed him to say it had arrived, but the others hadn’t…. No reply.

Ive not as yet received the Spring issue.

For at least a year now, I have been of the view that the Bluebell is not interested in overseas members.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, willjam39 said:

Aqulia was a fairly recent addition from memory and had formed a big part of their plan to keep the golden arrow dining experience on the rails. wonder what changed

Yesterday there was a huge “debate” on Facebook about it.

I think it simply comes down to the cost of refurbishing the carriages vs whether there is a better way to do it.

The business case is that once the current carriage is finished and a BG(?) refurbished (the latter will provide a dedicated on board / new main kitchen and prep area), then they will be on a better operational footing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2023 at 08:43, willjam39 said:

Aqulia was a fairly recent addition from memory and had formed a big part of their plan to keep the golden arrow dining experience on the rails. wonder what changed

The purchase of the ex-NRM Mk.1 BG kitchen car. 'Aquila' was purchased as a replacement for the LMS Stove R which has served as the Golden Arrow kitchen car for some time and now needs major work, but the combination of a pokey Pullman kitchen and limited seating told against it, as did the availability of Car 36. BG + Car 36 gives you a big kitchen plus 42 seats, whereas 'Aquila' gives you a small kitchen and 22 seats. Moreover the Maunsell restaurant car is about to enter the workshops, and that will provide a spare kitchen for the diner if required.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There's also the point that someone made that it could be quite difficult to update the Pullman kitchens to modern standards without making substantial changes to the heritage of the vehicles - wheras the BG interior isn't heritage, so can be completely refitted if needed to comply with the latest regulations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2