Peak 45015

Mikeym

If by now 298 you're not sure of my opinion, then I must be typing in a different language!

Let me make it quite clear for you! It's criminal that this locomotive has been left to get into such a state that it is nigh on impossible for it to be saved. I along with others posting here do not have the money or time to do anything about this and your constant, (patronising), suggestions to the contrary are, frankly, wearing a bit thin with me!

You seem like a cup half empty type of chap who clearly has no interest in this subject, much prefering the AC electrics or steam loco's. Thankfully, the world is not full of people with a negative attitude such as yours otherwise nothing would have ever been preserved.

Once again, I find myself having to ask you, within the public forum, to stop trying to put words into my mouth or change my opinions to a negative.

Cheers.

Sean.

Any bets on which loco will then be the "we must cut it up because it has no hope and is an eyesore" when 45015 goes? 50040 used to have this mantle before it went, 25244 is another one which gets plenty of similar comments although this is in much better condition than 45015.

Edited by 37114

If you take the time to actually read my posts 298, you would actually see that I agree with those "respected and knowledgeable people".

I've already said that I personally don't think the locomotive will ever turn a wheel again and I've said this from the start.

What I can do though is have to imagination to think, "what if" and while this loco is still extant, I will continue to think "what if", of course, I do posess the ability to seperate imagination from reality. This is an opinion neither you, nor anyone else will change.

When the loco has either rusted to oblivion or been cut up on site, then I will stop thinking "what if" and probably focus my concentration on one of the other loco's 37 114 mentions above.

For now, I've said my piece, no one else seems to really have an issue with it and even if they did, they don't appear to be actively trying to change my mind.

Please, for now enjoy my pictures and keep rubbing your hands in anticipation of this hopeless locomotives early demise. The Penguin rests......

Cheers.

Sean.

Just noticed on the 4th picture down of my post that the axle box cover on the right hand axle is missing and the axle appears to be chocked up.

Given that, and the fact that the loco is pretty much "landlocked", I honestly doubt she'll ever turn a wheel again.....

Cheers.

Sean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21095258@N03/8420341818/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0kWEm6zygg

Got to say I would love to be there when they try to shunt her, Buckaroo in reverse, how many pieces fall off her before she finally gives in

Robin

They said that about the Duke of Gloucester and some were thinking that about the Scotsman. :imsohappy:

The axle box has been jacked up since its days at Toton. The spring was removed to allow the wheel set to be jacked upso the flange could clear the rail head, The wheelset or the traction motors hasd seized. 1-Co bogies were not allowed on wheelskates.

Al Taylor

The class 83 needs a new transformer, draining the oil from one results in a quick and certain death as the insulation soon breaks down. So you're probably looking at a seven-figure sum, and the same to electrify your own line as Network Rail would never accept it on their metals.

But in the grander scheme, it'd be a shame to loose it, compare that to some 16-wheeled wreck that is only unique because it was built with headcodes that it no longer has...

Was not talking about the 83! The 45!

Was not talking about the 83! The 45!

I was using the 83 as an example in response to your comment that there is "nothing that cannot be restored". As other comments earlier in this thread have proven, the practicalities of loco preservation, even for those with deep pockets, means that theory only belongs in dreamland.

298, throughout this thread you have gone out of you way to provoke Sean, belittle his opinion and put words in his mouth. Now he has tired of your comments you have trawled back through the thread looking for someone else to nit-pick, and decided on DPLG. Now I am sure he can fight his own battles but I'm sick of hearing it. OK, from a level-headed and pragmatic viewpoint you don't think it is worth even contemplating saving 45015. Fine, we get the picture, some projects are too expensive to consider in your opinion. Perhaps you could open your mind and accept that others disagree with you and that through either nostalgia, romance, enthusiasm for resurrecting a rusting hulk, bloody-mindedness or ridiculous naivety, some people would quite like to see it saved.

• Like 2

Actually it was not 298 who resurrected the topic he was merely responding to DPLGs post at 1318

You are quite right, I stand corrected. My apologies. I stick by the rest of my post though. 298 has clearly far more experience in the preservation world than I ever will have, but I still think that the opinions of unrealistic dreamers (and I count myself amongst their ranks) should not be belittled. Many people did that when Barry scrapyard started to yield up its goodies but if it wasn't for the dreamers many of those old warhorses would have been lost forever.

You're doing it again 298.....!

A discussion continues between members of the forum about how nice it would have been/would be to see this loco in her former glory and you continue to INSIST on forcing your narrow minded views on the rest of us.

You have asked a number of times why those in the "for" corner have not berated those in the "against" corner apart from yourself. The difference is, the others in the "against" corner appear at least, to respect the oppositions views and vice versa.

For me at least, your comments are getting VERY tiresome!

Please feel free to hit the "disagree" icon as you have with many of my other posts. I note that at the time of writing that it was at the top of the 3rd page since anyone liked your posts suggesting to me that your argument is wearing thin.....

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom
  • Like 2

You call the thread pointless and yet you continue to contribute. You didn't find it pointless when you were using it to voice your opinions.

Why should this thread be locked just because you happen to disagree with some of the sentiments being expressed?

The thread should be kept open and accessible so when any news does emerge it can be disseminated here.

For those who can dream.....

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/tcs-pics/5613706205/sizes/in/photostream/

This is how my model of D14 will eventually look.

Cheers.

Sean.

How long is eventually Sean ?

Perhaps you could create 45015 as it is now and then restore it ?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :jester:

:offtopic:

Sean,

Has John been too busy to not be 'on at you' for not having a penguin pic?

Andy

Edit:- The grammar in this post is absolutely pants - but can I be @rsed........?

Edited by leopardml2341

For those who can dream.....

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/tcs-pics/5613706205/sizes/in/photostream/

This is how my model of D14 will eventually look.

Oh, BAD Penguin.  That's a very rude photo indeed.

Isn't she Economy Green, Small Yellow Panels, there?  

Or eGSYP, as kids would refer to it, in text-speak.   :jester:

PS: Andy, why aren't you busy with your Stanier tank, you naughty man?

• Like 1

Indeed she is Chard.

I seem to recall you posted a.colour picture of her a while back on the Waverly Route with a rake of Blue/Grey Mk1's which shows her in economy Green. I just had to find another one and have never seen this particular picture before.....

My model period is 1965 - 1968, so this livery is spot on for me. As for time frames for completing my 4mm version, well, lets just say, the way it looks at the moment, I'd be happy to take on the 12"/1' scale version straight after.....

;o)

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

The axle box has been jacked up since its days at Toton. The spring was removed to allow the wheel set to be jacked upso the flange could clear the rail head, The wheelset or the traction motors hasd seized. 1-Co bogies were not allowed on wheelskates.

Al Taylor

The said axle and still blocked up

post-1776-0-63781700-1392993392_thumb.jpg