Jump to content

SOS Junction. Not much modelling included. WTF happens next is a mystery!


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Don't use the station building footprint as gospel - it's wrong !  Will send a new one asap.

 

And don't draw happy faces on the next one either..., this is a serious hobby.

I seemed to remember you said that so that's why I ain't stuck those bits of Platform down Stu. Thanks for the warning though.

I am going to mock up some of nearby building faces & footprints and work out the main road and Forecourt area so I just need to get an idea of what space I had left. 

back to staring at loads of pics for a while, including these.

1549292395_images(12).jpg.ca27a2a086244af7a8f8f7cb923faa0b.jpg

 

1057224756_images(35).jpg.b866a650686a3d83e143c2d848f12479.jpg

 

Img_0686.jpg.2824faeb3732c283dfed745630f7570c.jpg

 

Img_0687.jpg.99ecb3fba169437faf9dfeac94d6f6a8.jpg

I hope these might also be useful?

P

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice how the three gabels are different.

 

The one on the platform has an overhanging roof, the west end has a low parapet wall, but the east end has quite a high parapet wall.

  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Mr Duck,

Your platform work looks suitably suverney, even wiv out stock.

Best Wishes.

SS.

When I spray everything green it will look real!

 

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Notice how the three gabels are different.

 

The one on the platform has an overhanging roof, the west end has a low parapet wall, but the east end has quite a high parapet wall.

Classic Stu. What a fiddle!

Good Job I've been looking at pics as I haver already spotted some mistakes in my interpretation of where things are around the Station building. I had always thought the  House Yard and Garden were at a lower level than the Platform; nope. Not a problem as I can sort that. but it does mean more faffing. There is a fall from the Station and boundary fence to the Forecourt and there steps at the exterior front rise to the level of the Booking Hall/Platform level. One of Graham's (RIP) pics has the meter Stick showing that height from Pavement to Step Top/Threshold.

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the height in mm from the baseboard to the top of the platform surface, please? 

I can make the platform side doorways the right height, then make the forecourt side main door the same and the make steps to suit.

  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a sudden urge to try and like Pilchards. Especially Pilchards from Oxford. How they got as far upstream as Oxford is puzzling.

What excuse could I possibly have for some Pilchards?

Oh, I tested my little Dapol 63XX Mogul yesterday with 8 Mk1s. East peasy, just right for the Devonian diversion circa winter 1960/61. I added extra weight with Express Passenger headlamps; worked a treat :D

 

P

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.e2ab4806c280a885cb5b820a0aa60230.png

I have been meaning to ask if anyone has a suggestion as to which Kit Bridge might be OK to represent this one on Seaton Bank? It is more narrow than the Peco one based on the Seaton Junction east road bridge and just wide enough for double track. I have a Laser cut one bit it looks flat and it needs to be a better surface. Apologies this is the best view IK can can get from Street View. I have one pic just abouy the same view but from the other side, taken by a decent chap that trapsed over there some time back, but I can't find that at the moment.

The Superquick one is a bit too wide I think?

Metcalfe? However that is still a flat surface.

Thanks.

Edited by Mallard60022
Link to post
Share on other sites

Or Bridge 466 nearer the Tunnel

3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Do you have any videos of trains passing through SJ, that you could use to get a better view of the bridge ?

Sadly not as far as I know except for possibly one very brief shot from a coach window; I shall have a look Stu.

P

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.e2ab4806c280a885cb5b820a0aa60230.png

I have been meaning to ask if anyone has a suggestion as to which Kit Bridge might be OK to represent this one on Seaton Bank? It is more narrow than the Peco one based on the Seaton Junction east road bridge and just wide enough for double track. I have a Laser cut one bit it looks flat and it needs to be a better surface. Apologies this is the best view IK can can get from Street View. I have one pic just abouy the same view but from the other side, taken by a decent chap that trapsed over there some time back, but I can't find that at the moment.

The Superquick one is a bit too wide I think?

Metcalfe? However that is still a flat surface.

Thanks.

Is that Coombewater, between the Tunnel and the site of Incline Box?

 

If so it naturally has (had) clearance for double track, but its width (or any lack thereof ) wasn't a matter of note when I walked under it some years ago (on a guided tour when learning my patch), so are you concerned with the road width?

 

That said, greenery has encroached a lot since 1967 and it nowadays only gets cut back enough to give room for the single line.  Also, odd bits of ground have slipped towards the trackbed in recent years, making it look quite a bit narrower than it used to.

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Is that Coombewater, between the Tunnel and the site of Incline Box?

 

If so it naturally has (had) clearance for double track, but its width (or any lack thereof ) wasn't a matter of note when I walked under it some years ago (on a guided tour when learning my patch), so are you concerned with the road width?

 

That said, greenery has encroached a lot since 1967 and it nowadays only gets cut back enough to give room for the single line.  Also, odd bits of ground have slipped towards the trackbed in recent years, making it look quite a bit narrower than it used to.

 

John

I think so but there is one Bridge EM466 nearer the Tunnel . There isn't a railside view like this. Not worried about Road width.

Thanks by the way, here is 466. image.png.f939e91aa1d071bea03f2a789b5cce84.png

Reckon it is same sort of design to the other one but with different road arrangements. This is first one east of the Tunnel on Google Earth.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think so but there is one Bridge EM466 nearer the Tunnel . There isn't a railside view like this. Not worried about Road width.

Thanks by the way, here is 466. image.png.f939e91aa1d071bea03f2a789b5cce84.png

Reckon it is same sort of design to the other one but with different road arrangements. This is first one east of the Tunnel on Google Earth.

P

All the overbridges between the tunnel and SJ are pretty similar, but I think we're talking about the same one, the lane Joins the A35 above Wilmington to the A30 in Monkton if you have the will power to see it through!

 

I'll take a cruise out there soonish and see if I can get some better pix of it. Probably won't get a chance before next week, though.

 

Are you also interested in Moorcox, the one that takes the lane from the bottom of Wilmington up to the Old Taunton Road, the next one down from Black Sands?

 

Sorry I'm not quoting bridge numbers; I still have a copy of the line-of-route emergency diagram, but I haven't a clue where I've put it!

 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

All the overbridges between the tunnel and SJ are pretty similar, but I think we're talking about the same one, the lane Joins the A35 above Wilmington to the A30 in Monkton if you have the will power to see it through!

 

I'll take a cruise out there soonish and see if I can get some better pix of it. Probably won't get a chance before next week, though.

 

Are you also interested in Moorcox, the one that takes the lane from the bottom of Wilmington up to the Old Taunton Road, the next one down from Black Sands?

 

Sorry I'm not quoting bridge numbers; I still have a copy of the line-of-route emergency diagram, but I haven't a clue where I've put it!

 

John

 If you are out that way John that would be lovely. The first one I posted is great. I'll try to get the road name of the nearest to the tunnel. West of The Shippen Cottages, almost and just east where the Refuge siding and Incline Box was. I reckon Shippen Cottages were the Railway Cottages. Very small road off the Axminster Road

I'm not that obsessed with the actual shape, more the finish, which I think is just Brick but the arch ringstone and keystone face finish is what I would like to see as that usually stands out. I might then be able to adapt a kit!

Take care and many thanks again.

Phil

 

Edited by Mallard60022
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

 If you are out that way John that would be lovely. The first one I posted is great. I'll try to get the road name of the nearest to the tunnel. West of The Shippen Cottages, almost and just east where the Refuge siding and Incline Box was. I reckon Shippen Cottages were the Railway Cottages. Very small road off the Axminster Road

I'm not that obsessed with the actual shape, more the finish, which I think is just Brick but the arch ringstone and keystone face finish is what I would like to see as that usually stands out. I might then be able to adapt a kit!

Take care and many thanks again.

Phil

 

AIUI, there were (also?) a couple of Railway Cottages in the wooded area up behind the refuge siding, accessible only via a footpath, and which were demolished after Incline Box closed, if not earlier.

 

From memory, the brick the bridge is built from is, heavily weathered/faded with a fair bit of flaking to the faces caused by frost, but they were probably a quite pale colour to begin with.

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, there were (also?) a couple of Railway Cottages in the wooded area up behind the refuge siding, accessible only via a footpath, and which were demolished after Incline Box closed, if not earlier.

 

From memory, the brick the bridge is built from is, heavily weathered/faded with a fair bit of flaking to the faces caused by frost, but they were probably a quite pale colour to begin with.

 

John

Thanks matey, yes, the few pictures I have show that paleness. In fact at first I thought they were stone.

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, there were (also?) a couple of Railway Cottages in the wooded area up behind the refuge siding, accessible only via a footpath, and which were demolished after Incline Box closed, if not earlier.

John

Oh I hadn't realised that John; not on the layout footprint thank goodness!! I think I have worked out where the Refuge was from scouring the Google earth Image which isn't that brilliant.

P

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

If you are interested in the road bridge to the east of Seaton, I suggest page 11of Southern Infrastructure (Second Selection) will help. Unfortunately Mr Wallis took quite a few of SJ. which may leave you wanting more.

Lovely book, thanks Stephen.

P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2021 at 21:18, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, there were (also?) a couple of Railway Cottages in the wooded area up behind the refuge siding, accessible only via a footpath, and which were demolished after Incline Box closed, if not earlier.

 

From memory, the brick the bridge is built from is, heavily weathered/faded with a fair bit of flaking to the faces caused by frost, but they were probably a quite pale colour to begin with.

 

John

John, do you happen to know when the two aspect CLS was installed just east of the Tunnel on the 'UP'? I think late '63, when some other changes to signals were made, but it is there in the summer '64 pics I was looking at last night when I found two distant views of the west most over bridge we were discussing. I now have a good idea of the width and face on shape thanks. The Peco Bridge will do nicely I think.

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

John, do you happen to know when the two aspect CLS was installed just east of the Tunnel on the 'UP'? I think late '63, when some other changes to signals were made, but it is there in the summer '64 pics I was looking at last night when I found two distant views of the west most over bridge we were discussing. I now have a good idea of the width and face on shape thanks. The Peco Bridge will do nicely I think.

Phil 

That presumably was controlled by Incline box and would have disappeared when the line was singled. Not sure when it went in, but definitely not earlier than 1959 when I think some alterations took place.

 

The distant levers in Honiton box had slightly rounded tops whereas the ones for all the others were flat. The distants were motorised or replaced with CLS several years before the rest. Not surprising, as the one on the down was 2,002 yards from the box - one heck of a pull!

 

John

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

That presumably was controlled by Incline box and would have disappeared when the line was singled. Not sure when it went in, but definitely not earlier than 1959 when I think some alterations took place.

 

The distant levers in Honiton box had slightly rounded tops whereas the ones for all the others were flat. The distants were motorised or replaced with CLS several years before the rest. Not surprising, as the one on the down was 2,002 yards from the box - one heck of a pull!

 

John

Happy muscles and fitness days John! over 2000 yards was one hell of a pull as you say.

I think I have seen somewhere that that CLS was only in place for a short while and was deffo around 63/64. There was no Semaphore in that position. It probably 'replaced' the signals protecting the X Over at the Incline Box, allowing Drivers to see that they had a clear run down the Incline?

Don't think I CBA to just get a working one to plonk for 1964 running sessions, but I might just get a 'dummy' to plant for that time.

Thanks matey,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...