NGS Journal

grahame

I'm not quite sure what 'worried' you about the report.

It's based on talking with them at the Doncaster show, what was on a notice on their stand and their handout/flier. At the time they said the website was being developed and it currently says things are still being added and certainly looks a little incomplete. So yep, perhaps it isn't fully updated. It might be a good idea, if you're interested, to give them a call or email.

HTH.

G.

Excellent issue, probably the best since I've been a member (about 6 years, I think).

I particularly liked the article about the Bulleid coaches. They're too old and too southern for my own interests, but I think that the hobby really needs articles that tell people how they can use what the trade provides. Not bossing people about, so much as opening up possibilities that they might not have thought of, like the mixed Bulleid/Mk.1 sets.

Jim

Guest bri.s

I've had a look on the Harrison-brown website bit knowing what they did and the website says

"Site Updates coming this week -

NEW SOUTHERN ELECTRIC PAGES for both OO & N Scales"

Had a quick in the NGS mag and looks another good issue ,well done

Brian

Issue 2/15 should now have been delivered, at least to UK based members if overseas ones are still in the post. I hope all enjoyed the contents as well as the free booklet about making buildings with cardboard. For non-members copies of the booklet are available (for a small charge) directly from the NGS display stand at exhibitions it attends. Make the effort to take a look and perhaps consider joining as a member as well.

Work on issue 3/15 is well progressed as I'm away on holiday this month for a while. The bulk of content is completed although the latest product reviews and news information and the usual accompanying Newsletter is yet to be done. However, to whet your appetites here is a snapshot of the cover and contents:

034921.jpg

035018.jpg

Cheers,

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the article on the Dean Goods. I have been trying to pluck up the courage to give that kit a go.

Yep, I've got one of those kits as well - and as of yet it's un-started. The big drawback is the need to obtain and sacrifice a new Farish loco for the chassis. Plus it doesn't look the easiest of fall-together kits. *Sigh* One day perhaps, one day.

Meanwhile work on issue 3/15 is coming to a conclusion and it should soon be ready for generating the print ready artwork. The plan is to have it out and in members hands before the end of May - certainly well in time for the AGM. Anyone going to that?

G.

Just a quick update to let people know that Journal 3/15 and the associated Newsletter are now finished and ready for printing. They are scheduled for send out so that they arrive with UK based members before the end of the month (May).

The Newsletter features details of the AGM and associated expo in Conwy (North Wales) on Saturday 20th June. It looks like it should be an interesting weekend making it worthwhile to get along and attend.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to appeal for more content for the Journal. It's the opportunity to see your projects in print and read about what others are up to. In particular it would be nice to have some well researched in-depth quality articles as well as the more commonly received small 'sound-bite' or update types. Details of how to go about submitting articles and features has been covered in recent Newsletters and FAQs (and answers) can be found on the website; http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=frequently-asked-questions-about-journal-submissions

G.

• Like 1

Anyone going to that?

G.

I have hopes. I've never been to one before but it's reasonably close to me and I'm hoping to have something in a fit state to enter into one of the competitions, so...

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I have hopes. I've never been to one before but it's reasonably close to me and I'm hoping to have something in a fit state to enter into one of the competitions, so...

It's a good opportunity to attend the AGM and enter something in the AMMC - apparently the number of entries this year is quite low so far.

G.

3/15 is now out and about, and even overseas members are reporting that they've received their copy. Hopefully it's something worthwhile reading and an enjoyable update on the N gauge scene.

I'm continuing to work on the nest issues and I'm pleased to report that 4/15 is well advanced. However, before it is completed and sent out will be the NGS AGM at which I'll be present should anyone want to talk to me about the Journal. But to whet your appetites here is the cover:

093140.jpg

G.

• 4 weeks later...

Journal 4/15 (July/August) has now been completed and the print

ready artwork generated to go off for printing. After printing and

packing, and producing the membership list labels, it is scheduled

to be sent out in the last week of July. 

Here is the cover and contents to look forward to:

072024.jpg

071910.jpg

I hope members enjoy it.

G.

Edited by grahame

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully members will have now received Journal 4/15 and, fingers crossed, enjoyed

it. And being a little more presumptuous will also be looking forward to the next

issue - 5/15. Although it's not due until late September, it is in a well advanced

state, so here is a sneak preview pic of the front cover.

042537.jpg

At a later date, when all is confirmed, I'll post up an image of the final contents

list.

Cheers.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on issue 6/15 (as 5/15 is just about complete) and I'm a little concerned about an apparent slowdown in submissions. With so many wonderful N gauge modelling projects being reported on the forum I'm sure there is suitable potential. Or is it that its currently the Summer 'off season' and less people are bothering with modelling while the sun is shining?

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Journal 5/15 is now complete and the artwork has been created and sent off for printing, packaging and posting. Along with this issue will be the usual separate newsletter publication and a special free booklet/leaflet about 'Layout Design and Planning'. Members should watch out for their next Journal package which will include these three publications and hopefully be dropping through UK letterboxes in the last full week of September.

085903.jpg

G.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mine turned up today and it looks like, yet again, Graham has done an excellent job with a wide range of articles.

Minor quibble, the review of the SDJR 4F in blue again claims it to be an authentic livery. None of the 4fs were ever painted anything other than black - a little bit of research before writing the review would have made this clear. It is a very attractive livery, I have one myself, but it is a figment of Bachmanns imagination.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

I hope, those who get sent a copy, have enjoyed issue 5/15. Journal 6/15 is well advanced and is just about complete (apart from the usual last minute news and reviews stuff) so I thought I'd make a start on putting 1/16 together.

However, it's looking like it might be a very blank and potentially thin issue unless some new articles and/or features are submitted. So here's yet another appeal for some content otherwise it could be made up of a lot of filler waffle by me.

Members articles and features provide variety and vitality about the hobby and the Journal offers a showcase for their projects and models, as well as news, reviews, tips, letters and more. However, it's always nice to hear from other practitioners of the N/2mm family of scales so submissions from non-members have always been welcome and included in the Journal (even before I became editor).

If you're not a member then I'll be as pleased to hear from you as much as members, and although we don't pay for submissions I can arrange for you to be sent a copy of the Journal issue that your article appears in. It's a fairly hefty, more that 80 pages, all colour, A5 magazine style publication. Who knows it might encourage you to join the society.

Details of how to submit articles can be found on the NGS website along with the email address to send them to:

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=frequently-asked-questions-about-journal-submissions

Cheers in anticipation.

G.

• 4 weeks later...

The copy deadline has now passed for issue 6/15 (November/December 2015) and

I'm just putting the finishing touches to it before it goes off to the printers

and distributors. Dispatch should be around the last full week of November;

041706.jpg

G.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Journal 6/15 is currently at the printers and is due to be sent out in a little over one weeks time. Hopefully it will be with UK members by the end of the month and overseas members a little later dependant on their local postal services. The contents are:

082057.jpg

Good news is that the first issue of next year (1/2016) is well advanced and is looking like it will be a rather good issue. There has been a reasonable response to the appeal for articles and there are even more promised and in the pipeline. Many thanks to those who have made the effort but please continue to consider how and what you can contribute. There will be more future issues to fill up.

For those who are not members the Journal is a bi-monthly, 80+ pages, full colour A5 magazine all about N gauge modelling. Annual membership of the N Gauge Society costs just £16 per year (plus a one-off initial joining fee of £5 to cover registration and the Handbook for new members) which, assuming you don’t make any use of the other benefits of membership, is less than £2.70 for each issue of the ‘Journal’ (and an accompanying ‘Newsletter’) including postage to your home in the UK. Overseas members pay a little more to cover the additional postage costs, but it still works out at only £4 per issue in Europe and less than £4.35 for the rest of the World.

G.

• 2 weeks later...