NGS Journal

grahame

• 4 weeks later...

Work has been progressing on the next issue and I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches to 6/16 just prior to it going 'for print and distribution'. In addition to the usual full colour Journal and supporting Newsletter publication will be a special 44 page booklet to celebrate the 50th anniversay of the N Gauge Society. They are scheduled for send out in the last full week of November;

040024.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

Here's the planned content for Journal 6/16:

• What’s new in ‘N’ – 17 pages of news and reviews
  • The Fell Locomotive - Michael Rosenbaum’s AMMC winner
  • Bashing Chemical Tanker Wagons - A vinyl chloride monomer tanker project
  • LED up the Garden Path - Andrew Courtney gives his take on the subject
  • Annual Model Making Competition - Report and photos from Michael Shillabeer
  • Croftleyton Spa - Dick Jones presents his layout
  • Compressors and Generators - Modelling these ubiquitous work site details
  • How to Form a 6-car Class 170 DMU - Lawrence Pocock shows how to lengthen sets
  • Newport Measglas Wagon Depot - Centre spread and photo feature
  • Operating the Steam Railway - Basic prototypical operation by Victor Hall
  • Penzance - Holidays weren’t Matthias Hackers inspiration for his layout
  • Tomytec Moving Bus System - A guide for beginners by Mike Harvey
  • Andley - Richard Graves introduces his second layout
  • Brushes - Fred Hempsall provides paint brush advise
  • Monks Ferry - An interesting developing layout by Colin Wright
  • Traverser for Crediton - Making a layout traverser by Chris Heggadon
  • DCC for Dummies (part 2) - Rex Mountfield continues his take on DCC
  • Modelling Mail Train - Members letters

And for the special anniversary booklet the contents will include:

• 50 Years Timeline - A pictorial history of the Society
  • Todays N Gauge Society - The benefits of membership
  • The Graham Farish Story - By Dennis Lovett
  • Gone But Not Forgotten - Nostalgic brands and manufacturers
  • The Andy Calvert Gallery - Photos of two of Andy’s exhibition layouts
  • Early British N Gauge - 20thC N gauge history by Jeremy Burrows
  • Modern Masterpieces - A brief look at some of the latest models

I hope that members enjoy this special content.

G.

The final print ready files for the Journal, Newsletter and special 50th anniversary booklet have been produced and sent off for printing, packing and posting. It is anticipated that the send out will be in the last full week of November (just three weeks away) so UK based members should receive them before the end of the month.

G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As already mentioned the forthcoming NGS Journal package is a bumper issue. There will be three booklets to read and enjoy over the Christmas and New Year holiday period:

•  
  • The Journal - 96 pages in full colour all about N Gauge modelling and latest developments
  • The Newsletter - 16 page monochrome publication with the latest Society news and announcements
  • 50th Anniversary - a 44 page colour booklet all about the NGS and history of N Gauge

They are currently at the printers and are scheduled for send out in the last full week of November (w/c 21st) meaning that hopefully it should be dropping through UK letterboxes in two weeks time.

031530.jpg

G.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Journal 6/16 is now old news and hopefully even overseas members will have received their copy by now (if not presumably the big white bird is still on it's way). I hope everyone enjoyed the main mag and the special anniversary supplement. It was certainly a lot of effort and fun to put it together. 

Progress is well underway for issue 1/17, the first of the 50th anniversary year, and the bulk of the main editorial (articles and features) are in place. However, I'm currently working on the 'news' section, so, with Warley being very scarce on N gauge news, if anyone has any knowledge of new products, announcements or interesting information about N gauge, then please let me know.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Are you still looking for contributors? 

I've nearly finished building my streamlined duchess and am embarking on the layout if an ongoing saga article would be welcome?

Always on the look out for good quality submissions.

When you get your Duchess completed please feel free to send in an article about building it. Don't forget to take and include photographs with your submission. The email address to send to is in the Journal.

G

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently putting together the finishing touches to NGS Journal 1/17:

144658.jpg

Contents will include:

What’s new in ‘N’ - the latest news and reviews

Hawthorn Flight - Les Richardson presents and explains what it is

Fitting Commonwealth Bogies - Clive Hardy shows how to add them to Farish Mk1 coaches

Horsing Around - Matt Pinto upgrades the Lima horsebox

AMMC - Michael Shillabeer provides the latest report for 2016

Hump Shunting Marshalling Yard - Mike Aston documents his experiences with a working model

Diesel Brake Tender - Matthew Tyler shows how to build & modify a 3D printed one

The Shipwrights Arms - Scratch-building a traditional city pub

Langston Bridge - A first exhibition layout by Julian Thornhill

Kit Bashing a Download Kit - Andrew Cockburn distresses a signal box kit

Monkchester - Peter Brown describes the N&DMRS’s layout

Members Models - Trucks and military vehicles by Peter Hardiker

Evoking a Sense of Place & Time (part 1) - Phil Lundberg looks at era 4 and the GWR

Four DCC Conversions - Tim Coombs tries his hand at installing DCC

Members Models; Marylebone - Mark Eaton’s work-in-progress London terminus

Leicester London Road Junction - David Durrance outlines the planning for his layout

Modelling Tip - Making quick and easy glazed window frames

Modelling Mail Train - Members letters

Hopefully it will be printed, packed and posted so that it arrives with (UK) members before the end of January.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3

The copy deadline has now passed, so I'm just finishing off and hope to have it completed and ready to generate the print ready files very soon. The printer agent likes to have the files well in advance to be able to set the pages and schedule in the printing. Being a relatively small print run (around 6000 copies) it doesn't have a lot of priority.

But the membership number does mean that the NGS journal probably gets read by more N gauge modellers/enthusiasts than any of the commercial monthly magazines when you consider that only about between 15 to 20% of their circulation/readership are N gauge modellers.

G

Edited by grahame

I spy the logo on that grounded van body. It's a ready-to-plonk Lyons Tea House! :jester:

Close. As well as 'Tea Houses', Lyons also had a range/brand of 'Corner Houses' which were large (usually several floors) but they disappeared in 1977 which rather limits the time frame. But I do remember the one almost opposite Charing Cross station. There's some more interesting info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Lyons_and_Co.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Journal 1/17 is currently at the printers (it should be with UK members before the end of the month) and I'm working on issue 2/17. However, good quality submissions seem to be rather scare at the moment (perhaps it's the new year effect) so I'm appealing for articles and features.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Journal 1/17 is starting to drop through members letterboxes (although overseas members will take a little longer). It contains details of a new NGS RTR project (see the smaller suppliers forum/thread).

I hope members enjoy the magazine and are happy with the new project model.

G.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. Looks like another good issue. At first glance, the Leicester layout looks very interesting: I'm quite a fan of the idea of modelling the complicated bit at the end of a station, without modelling the station itself.

I suspect that a lot of people will be very taken with the new project model! It's even possible that I'll spring for one myself, and it's something that I have no immediate use for at all. 

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if anyone else's copy of 1/17 is the same - pages 21 to 28, and 61 to 68 are not stitched into the magazine - they are just folded and stuffed into the magazine loose.

Hi

Mine are all securely attached.

Cheers

Paul

Don't know if anyone else's copy of 1/17 is the same - pages 21 to 28, and 61 to 68 are not stitched into the magazine - they are just folded and stuffed into the magazine loose.

Presumably they are out of order and in the centre of the magazine. If you are unable to reassemble and would like a replacement see page 3 for how and who to report it to.

G.