Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

those windows still look a bit like bottle bottoms  : ( 

i've never understood why manufacturers can't just use clear or slightly tinted transparent plastic for coach bodies, with the livery painted on.

surely that's cheaper and easier than having to cut out individual windows and fit separate glazing.

The original Bachmann 158 was such a beast, but they soon altered it to separate glazing. Don't know why - maybe a painting issue with sharply defined edges on every window surround?.

And............

I'm dead against painted clear shells as they're a right b*st*rd to mask the windows if you want to repaint them.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

yeah but if the manufacturer got it right in the first place you wouldn't have to.

if i'm paying 30 - 50 pounds per coach i shouldn't have to dismantle each one and rebuild them almost completely from scratch.

i've never bought a new car and had to reshape the windows and spray it a different colour.

kits and scratch building is a big part of this hobby, but ready to run should mean exactly that. especially when you KNOW the likes of Hornby and Bachmann have the skills to get it virtually perfect. and at todays prices they should be.  

• Like 1

those windows still look a bit like bottle bottoms  : ( 

i've never understood why manufacturers can't just use clear or slightly tinted transparent plastic for coach bodies, with the livery painted on.

surely that's cheaper and easier than having to cut out individual windows and fit separate glazing.

Isn't that what Farish used to do with N gauge coaches before Bachmann made them as they do now - I prefer the Bachmann version with a bit of 'thickness' to them.

• Like 1

the window 'glass' on Bachmann coaches is very good for rtr. but the ones on Hornby's air con mk2's seem a bit thick and clumsy. 

i can understand the railroad range needing to be tough enough to withstand the grip of an excited 4 year old. but the main (more expensive) range should be aimed at those of us who are buying them ourselves and take the hobby a little more seriously. 

you only have to look at some of their other recent releases (08, 50, 56 etc.) to see that Hornby are certainly capable of producing quality models, not just basic toys.

i hope the finished mk2e's are better than i fear, otherwise i'll have to batter my wallet and pay the extra for Bachmann's mk2f's.  

Edited by johny retro

hattons have some pre order prices on their e-hattons website.

Hornby mk2e bso/fo/tso - £23.10 (or £27.80 with lighting).

Bachmann mk2f bso /fo/ tso - £25.46 (or £36.13 with dcc interior lighting. '' Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel'').

that's very close pricing! Hornby are going to have to work hard to match the quality of bachmanns air con mk2's. unless Bachmann get the livery wrong again like they did on their mk2a's.

Edited by johny retro

i've just been back on the e-hattons site to look at some accessories. i typed 'road' into the product search box and on the second page of products with 'road' in the description it lists the Hornby mk2e's at £21.30, which is obviously the railroad range but still.

well worth a phone call to get the exact prices, but either way they're sounding reasonable.

if Hornby omit nem coupling pockets for close coupling they need taking outside and shooting. then brought in and hung.

i dont expect the lit versions to be any less authentic than their revised mk3s.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

i totally agree.

what's the point of putting all that effort into getting the shape and livery spot on, then put giant couplings on which leave a one inch gap between the connecting doors?

come on Hornby, Bachmann got this right years ago with their blue/grey mk1's! can't be THAT difficult to do the same thing. 

then put giant couplings on which leave a one inch gap between the connecting doors?

come on Hornby, Bachmann got this right years ago with their blue/grey mk1's! can't be THAT difficult to do the same thing. 

What giant couplings are you talking about? Only the ex-Airfix Mk2D versions have a broad coupling. Judging by what you said about effort going into accuracy then we all know that all of Hornby's new models have NEM narrow couplings (including the railroad stuff). It's perfectly fine with the couplings Hornby use as Hornby cannot always provide everyone with their preferred couplings.

What giant couplings are you talking about? Only the ex-Airfix Mk2D versions have a broad coupling. Judging by what you said about effort going into accuracy then we all know that all of Hornby's new models have NEM narrow couplings (including the railroad stuff). It's perfectly fine with the couplings Hornby use as Hornby cannot always provide everyone with their preferred couplings.

the observation at least from my pov was based on seeing what a hash up job they made of the internal lighting on the mk3s. narrow couplings they might have but not necessarily close couplings. giant couplings i suspect was a reference to the old Lima D and airfix couplings and whilst the latest arrangement on some new stock may be a step forward the point being offered was simply one of hopefully not seeing Hornby take two steps back.....something they have demonstrated already.

attractive enough but agree wholeheartedly about those bogies. the main frame crossmember in the scotrail pic is much deeper than on the models which look anorexic tbh. are the wheels a tad too big as well?

passenger theatre windows appear to not be tinted unless the camera is not picking up a very subtle tint effect. a couple of the BSOs seem to be clear and the others less so but not sure if its all down to the photography. why would Hornby have two lots of glazing????

were the wc windows so greyed out as this???

be good if they are on display to inspect at Warley as these things often look different in the flesh. just seems to sit up quite high....couplings look to give a fairly close arrangement but i cant tell if its fixed or a similar CCM as Bachmann.

shsme no images of the open firsts.

glad im only buying mk2f's to be honest......

Edited by ThaneofFife

attractive enough but agree wholeheartedly about those bogies. the main frame crossmember in the scotrail pic is much deeper than on the models which look anorexic tbh.

are the wheels a tad too big as well?

. just seems to sit up quite high....

The exact three variables that came to mind.

i wasnt going to say anything about the theatre window positions as i felt id said enough on them already....i look at those coaches and im just feeling it. they just dont quite look "right".the wheels are drfinitely too large-they did the same with the remotored limby class 87 model. ok the bogies were underscale but at least the Lima wheels were of a size that it fooled the eye quite convincingly. smaller wheels please Hornby!!

you can see the 1st class coaches on the website but same applies.

dont really know what else to say. i fear these are now signed off or are they still only at EP stage????

Edited by ThaneofFife

on 2nd look could the windows be ok and the blue classification strip above them is way too deep meaning very little grey between it and the window tops. that lines probably a scale 1ft deep!

I don't think so - look at the photo I posted a link to.  The windows are too high up relative to the door droplights, so it could be that they are too low.  The wheels look to be the wrong size too as B4 bogies had 3' diameter wheels, so they should be 12mm on the model.

At least it leaves room for Bachmann to make a proper job of the Mark 2f stock.

Put simply, they just don't look right.