Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Steady progress of late, predominantly painting and weathering of various structures and also some of the vehicles for the scrapyard. Making scrap cars look convincing is a little difficult as diecast models are not easily dissected, however looking at some photos of scrapyards in the 1977 has proved useful, seemingly most cars had their wheels removed so have chose to replicate that trend which requires scratch-built break drums.

I always find it useful at various points in layout builds to set out some stock and building on hand to check all is coming together as planned, so far so good, plenty still to do in time for next April though.

post-7400-0-74051600-1409081487_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-38314100-1409081931_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-35779300-1409081964_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-12403800-1409081984_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-20552100-1409081998_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

It's coming together really well Rob, already some nice photo angles are appearing.

Good to see 03382 is busy as Peafore Yard Pilot, that'll explain why 03121 seems to be a permanent resident with me at Mortimore's Yard at the moment. :)  

• Like 1

It's coming together really well Rob, already some nice photo angles are appearing.

Good to see 03382 is busy as Peafore Yard Pilot, that'll explain why 03121 seems to be a permanent resident with me at Mortimore's Yard at the moment. :)

Indeed although 03121 is due to appear shortly as I renumbered my blue 03 last night, still needs weathering though!

That low level view across the level crossing is fantastic, I do like the use of buildings to screen the exit instead of the usual bridge/tunnel :)

Thanks Rich, it came about almost by accident as I wanted a large building to hide the control panel behind, my original plan being to model part of the Post Office sorting office and use the overhead conveyor to the station platforms as a bridge to disguise the lower level exit into the fiddle yard. When it dawned on me how small the space was and that the conveyor would be halfway up the backscene then I changed tack to the current building. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visible progress on the layout has slowed over the last few weeks due to other commitments unfortunately. The track has had a liberal coating of sleeper grime and the sides of the rails painted with Humbrol acrylic no26, but the main focus has been the point control system.

I decided some time ago that I would use a manual point control to save wiring and also I had concerns how the points would stand up to standard SEEP/Peco motors and the baseboard side rails aren't deep enough for tortoise motors. There was the added complication of a latching mechanism and polarity change switch for the frogs. Having inspected various layouts I decided that piano wire linked to slide switches would be a good solution, my biggest issue was trying to get a switch with a small enough throw as the point blade movement is around 2mm side to side. The switches I used came from Maplin and have a 5mm throw, significantly more than I needed but the beauty of the piano wire was the inherent flex, especially in the vertical section that passes through the board. I also included a "Z" shape in the wire for adjustment. The wire is secured through aluminium brackets and touch wood works fine so far. I have loosely wired up the points for testing purposes but will solder all the joints and secure the wires properly shortly.

post-7400-0-50974100-1410381652_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-28287000-1410381932_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi, I like the setup & the way the slide switch is mounted. Is the intention to have some kind of operating rod going through the baseboard side to allow you to move the switch?

Hi Rich,

Yes I think so, I can move them by finger through the hole just visible at the top of the picture but it is awkward so I will put another rod from the switch, which will be flush with the front of the baseboard when the rod is pushed in. I intend to put a hinged cover on the front that folds up for Transport in the car and protects the front of the layout, but can be folded down out of the way for use at the shows.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I thought I'd posted on here before, but evidently not! This is looking really nice, good to see some photos illustrating what your were saying about when I saw you the other day. I can't wait to see the scenery progress further, the stream and scrubby grass shout urban backwater, Dave has done a great job as usual! I'm looking forward to seeing more

jo

Thanks Jo, Embankment road is looking great now. I will catch up with you about taking some proper photos when its finished if you are up for it as I started penning a write up for one of the magazines while in the departure lounge of Dublin airport last night.

• Like 1

Thanks Jo, Embankment road is looking great now. I will catch up with you about taking some proper photos when its finished if you are up for it as I started penning a write up for one of the magazines while in the departure lounge of Dublin airport last night.

That's a long way to go to get the inspiration to write an article. Most people try the shed at the bottom of the garden!

Geoff Endacott

I have had the relative luxury of the whole garage for layout work of late but the justification for building the garage was to house my Series 3 Land Rover and with winter approaching and it's starting to suffer from lack of use/outdoor storage so I need to clear the garage over the next few weeks. As such I have been progressing with some carpentry today and have made the legs for the layout.

The woodwork for Pallet Lane could best have been described as functional, made from poor materials and my poor wood working skills earning me the  nickname of "the wood butcher" from those who can saw wood! However having practiced a bit, purchased a Makita mitre saw and decent materials I have done a passable job on the legs. The legs have been designed to stack inside each other horizontally with the layout on top and one set will be fitted with castors to form a trolley for moving the packed up layout, the idea being to save handling in and out of shows. When finished I will take some photos to explain what I mean, the photo below showing the legs fully erected as I am hoping to build the fiddle yard later this week. Underneath the layout can be seen the new ladders for the cement silo which have been sprayed with primer

I have also been progressing the testing programme for the layout, having sorted the feeds to the point crossings. After a few teething problems and a dry joint, the track all now works and I had good play with the class 03 and some presflos. The testing has been carried out with all the feeds direct into the controller, but I have now started work on the panel, although none of the wires are connected up yet. This sits behind the large building in the corner of the layout and is recessed to protect the switches when packed up.

post-7400-0-22944800-1410727928_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-06852400-1410728055_thumb.jpg

Edited by 37114
  • Like 9

I have now finished the Cement Silo for the layout, the signage is taken from a photo of the Barnstaple Silo, photo below.

There were major storms in Corsham last night, thankfully we live at the top of a hill but some friends at the bottom of the estate who live near the railway line had gardens flooded and sadly their pet chickens were drowned. Ironically I was due to be going to London on the train today but got as far as driving to Chippenham station at 5.45 when I found out that all train services were cancelled. On driving back home I saw the reason why as this HST had been stranded since 01:00 in water as deep as 1m high.

post-7400-0-34252400-1411129156_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-30894700-1411129183_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-94468900-1411129278_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very, very nice Rob - getting the ground cover as you have is highly convincing.

Thanks Rich, I had a quick look in the garage this morning with a fresh pair of eyes and I am very pleased how it has turned out, definitely better than I expeceted.

• Like 1

Evening Rob,

I love the puddles idea. I tried it Embankment Road but the liquid (varnish)just soaked into the ground cover, so perhaps I should revisit.

As for the photos, absolutely, let me know when the layouts ready and we can sort something out.

jo

• RMweb Gold

For the puddles on my own Acacia Avenue, I used clear acrylic, over a pre-painted base. A similar method that Marc uses, I believe, or use microscope glass slips. Obviously you need to pre plan where you want to have the puddles. Then the ground cover can then be built up around and over the "puddles". I also suggest wet areas around the edges of the puddles with acrylic gloss medium.

Do like the effect that you have achieved though, very good!

• Like 1

Evening Rob,

I love the puddles idea. I tried it Embankment Road but the liquid (varnish)just soaked into the ground cover, so perhaps I should revisit.

As for the photos, absolutely, let me know when the layouts ready and we can sort something out.

jo

Thanks Jo, will be a while yet! I have loads of scenic water spare, I can always drop you some round if you fancy giving it a go. Edited by 37114

For the puddles on my own Acacia Avenue, I used clear acrylic, over a pre-painted base. A similar method that Marc uses, I believe, or use microscope glass slips. Obviously you need to pre plan where you want to have the puddles. Then the ground cover can then be built up around and over the "puddles". I also suggest wet areas around the edges of the puddles with acrylic gloss medium.

Do like the effect that you have achieved though, very good!

Thanks Richard some handy tips, always good to try something new as the puddles are a new skill for me.

I have made progress on a number of fronts of late:

The fiddle yard is complete except the cassettes, I designed the fiddle yard with an integral fold down cover which serves a number of purposes:

- Hold the controller in position when the layout is packed up, it is located on the corner of the lower fiddle yard corner and I was keen not to have to remove it after shows which I had to do with Pallet Lane

-  Enable the fiddle yard to form a carry case for the cassettes and cables for the lighting

When closed the "case" is only 14 cm high, meaning it should sit on top of the layout in the boot of my Mondeo estate.

I have also been focussing on finishing the bridge for the upper level over the culvert, I still need to weather the corners of the abutments but I am happy with how they have come out so far. The image underneath the bridge is more visible in the picture than in reality which is handy as the river in the picture is a bit wider than my culvert. I have also sprayed the girders and started the weathering process, more to do.

Also I have started to build the mountain of scrap, no small task as every piece is being made and weathered individually, will post some pics of that tomorrow.

post-7400-0-72471500-1411938182_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-41990300-1411938496_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-73351000-1411938960_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1