Metropolitan Bo-Bo EP sample

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

I imagine only a select few can find "justification" for the purchase of one of these.I suspect the twinge of "I don't really need it do I ?" will be a short - lived blip of conscience. My ( eventual ) reasoning will be....I'm likely to be one of the few on this forum who had a short trip in an LT stock train hauled by one whilst in everyday service.Sorry if I'm repeating myself....it's the age thing ....reliving one's youth.

I've got a much simpler approach Ian - count the contents of my piggy bank, look at my pre-orders for Hornby Colletts, Kernow D6XX, Kernow 136, Bachmann auto-trailers, Bachmann Class 43 D8XX, plus a 'King' to be decided (probably Hattons) and enough wheelsets for my pile of wagon kits (various) let alone track and sundry other things.

A few out-of-scene Pre-Group engines owrking 'enthusiast specials' is something I can just about manage to justify but even electric locos which i remember well such as these are simply a pile of fivers too far for me.  Resistance is easy when resources cash is committed elsewhere.

• Like 3

Got home from work half expecting to find a Met Bo-Bo but the lad had already taken it round his Nan's (my mum) where the Met line project is based (Not enough space at home) I later found this arrangement on her dining table! Sorry about the low quality phone snap.

post-9387-0-92888900-1441322957_thumb.jpg

Justification for John Hampden? 

The layout on which these things will run (minus the wagons  - they just came with the Pannier Tank but plus some other stuff which is still at home) will take some liberties with history with regard to the quadrupling of the Met Line north of Harrow and in fact will move Northwood station a bit to the north and rename it Batchworth Lane. So releasing no. 5 from captivity isn't so much of a stretch. 

Bring on the S Stock - and the autumn months when I can get some more done on the layout and finishing the part-built Radley A Stock.

The lad will add Sarah Siddons to the fleet when it becomes available. I quite like the look of the original METROPOLITAN liveried version. One for the museum (display case) I think. 

The instruction leaflet shows models numbers amounting to nine variants so they'll get some mileage out of these things even if they're not everyone's cup of rosy.

Just a thought but if the pre 1923 Metropolitan Railway is pre-grouping; between 1923 and 1933, is it ungrouping?

RP

post-9387-0-33999900-1441322929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 9

If I had the courage I would take a pic of my new Heljan 'Sherlock Holmes' with my Radley 'John Lyon'. From a distance they look remarkably similar, but I'm not sure if a full-screen, full-frontal close-up of them would look as good! Anyway, as I said in an earlier post on the London Underground section, I am very pleased that my colourings of roof and body are very close to the Heljan model. I shall be able to display them close together on the layout. As pleased with the Heljan model as I was when I completed the Radley model.

Now what on earth can they pull once I get the layout up and running once more?......! 

Graham

• Like 1

...Just a thought but if the pre 1923 Metropolitan Railway is pre-grouping; between 1923 and 1933, is it ungrouping?...

Since the Metropolitan was not part of any of the Big Four groups until the November 1937 acquisition by the LNER, I would vote for 'pre-grouping'. (The 'Big Four' did not get revised to 'Big Five' when the LPTB was formed, therefore the LPTB was not a railway group, QED.)

• Like 2

The fitted detail on this model is quite delicate and should be handled with the same caution one might exercise for a steam loco with vulnerable motion parts. Take care with the shoe beams and conduits when lifting it onto the track. 

So far, so good!

RP

Mine was missing one of the electrical rectangular box pieces, attached to the chassis above each bogie side. I contacted Howes and they have plastic sprues to send out. They are not showing as spare parts yet, so I'm assuming they have a small quantity for locos like mine, with some missing parts. They are sending me a sprue f.o.c in the post. As mine is John Hampden I will need to paint the front face a matching grey, which is no problem.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't going to get one until I saw them in the cabinet at Howes Models and thought it would look excellent next to my collection of LT panniers.  As a result, I decided to splurge on a Sherlock Holmes.  Mine also arrived from Hattons the other day. I've only just got around to running a camera over it today, and thought people might like to see the photos.

post-7653-0-73373600-1441474758_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-99557900-1441474761_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-11283900-1441474765_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-47284600-1441474773_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-03969900-1441474796_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-31638700-1441474799_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 7

I imagine only a select few can find "justification" for the purchase of one of these.I suspect the twinge of "I don't really need it do I ?" will be a short - lived blip of conscience. My ( eventual ) reasoning will be....I'm likely to be one of the few on this forum who had a short trip in an LT stock train hauled by one whilst in everyday service.Sorry if I'm repeating myself....it's the age thing ....reliving one's youth.

I also rode behind them in service. I lived in Pinner as a kid and we had a view from our flat directly onto the Met, just north of Pinner station.

That fact probably got me into liking trains!!!!!

They were an everyday sight and quite often on weekends we would go to Chorleywood. We rode T stock to Moor Park (the Aylesbury bound loco hauleds did not usually stop at Pinner) then wait for the loco hauled on the wooden platforms, off to Ricky, wait through the loco change and on to Chorleywood.

Saw the grey ones and much approved the change to maroon with NAMES!

I recall coming back one afternoon and on seeing a trap point asking my father "Why does that point go nowhere?" Fortunately there was a driver 'on the cushions' in the compartment and he spent quite some time drawing a diagram and explaining their use.

Apologies for 'going on' but it must be an age thing as Ian says above.

John

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A terrific model, Heljan have often delighted and infuriated in equal measure with models that combined exquisite touches and glaring faults but they seem to be on a bit of a run. The 05 is a lovely little model, this looks great and both follow their superb class 16.

London Underground fans are having a good time with the rather lovely Bachmann S Stock and this fine Bo-Bo, hopefully it will continue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Hattons have sold out of No. 8 Sherlock Holmes (9003) already!    http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000399/1000588/1000672/0/Heljan_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Electric_locos/prodlist.aspx

Looks like a sell out at Rails and Kernow too, although Howes still seem to show some in stock.

I wasn't going to get one until I saw them in the cabinet at Howes Models and thought it would look excellent next to my collection of LT panniers.  As a result, I decided to splurge on a Sherlock Holmes.  Mine also arrived from Hattons the other day. I've only just got around to running a camera over it today, and thought people might like to see the photos.

Thanks. I like the grey roof better than the reddish one on the one I got; John Hampden.

I gave mine a test run today. Fine in DC but on two different DCC chips it only runs properly in one direction. In the other direction it runs for a second, stops, runs for a second, stops, repeats this about half a dozen times then refuses to move at all. Same on rolling road so not a pickup issue.  Also had one of the gear cogs clicking and jumping occasionally. 

It will be on its way back to the shop on Monday for an exchange.

I got mine yesterday from Hattons, but can't help but notice that the name plate on both sides are not on straight, and it's pretty noticeable, even when it was in the box.

What do people think? Is it worth returning it or am I complaining about nothing?

post-23670-0-64243900-1441527211_thumb.jpg

post-23670-0-48331100-1441527212_thumb.jpg

How lightly are the nameplates glued on? If it is just a drop of glue they could be pulled off and stuck back on straight. The chances are the replacement will have a similar problem, when Hattons get a second delivery from Heljan given they are sold out of the first batch.

I got mine yesterday from Hattons, but can't help but notice that the name plate on both sides are not on straight, and it's pretty noticeable, even when it was in the box.

What do people think? Is it worth returning it or am I complaining about nothing?

I phoned Hattons about a missing shoe today. I didnt mention a nameplate has fallen off too! The plates are only glued to the vertical ribs, so although a nuisance I would follow Matabiau and pull them off gently then refix. Not worth the hassle of packing and posting then waiting for Hattons to get new stock in. Hattons have advised I contact Peters Spares or Howes, who may both have the spare detail I require (I didnt want the returns hassle either).

You'd get away with the second picture but the first one is way off.

Have a look & see if there's much holding the plate on.