Metropolitan Bo-Bo EP sample

Multiple identity account

So the differences between the preserved Met and LT liveries are minimal then? Just number font and London Transport instead of Met emblem?

The post war lining is much simpler - compare the two pictures I posted. There was virtually no lining above waist height.

Here's my scratch built version of No 5 as preserved in the LT museum. The waist height double yellow lining is actually complete on the model but has not photographed well....

post-7723-0-45197300-1424605454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 6

Thanks again Jeff.  I'm just trying to decide which model to go for that I can justify (under Rule 1) running on the Brighton main line c1960 having been slightly modified for 3rd rail running!  The postwar LT livery might be more plausible but the preserved Sarah Siddons is so attractive with the additional lining ...  

• 1 month later...

HATTONS------------Now  due  August   September  its  taking   a long  time  isnt  it?

Good things come to those that wait :) As with all models, it will turn up when it turns up, I tend not to pay much notice to the timescales!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to note that No.12 'Sarah Siddons' as preserved in Metropolitan Railway livery has become No. 5 'John Hampden' as preserved in London Transport livery.

Heljan would have to pay a license for the use of any TfL owned trademarks such as "Metropolitian" and "London Transport".

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note that No.12 'Sarah Siddons' as preserved in Metropolitan Railway livery has become No. 5 'John Hampden' as preserved in London Transport livery.

Heljan would have to pay a license for the use of any TfL owned trademarks such as "Metropolitian" and "London Transport".

Hmmm might have to cancel that one as I wanted one of each not two LT ones. I've emailed Howes as to what's going on.

• RMweb Gold

Howes reply

"If you look at our website you'll see some pre-production models shown there including the two in METROPOLITAN livery."

So not really answered the query!

I've asked Heljan direct now ;)

Looks top notch. Just need to find some suitable stock to run behind it suitable for late '50s early '60s. Any suggestions? 

How about some of the centre coach(es) from the Bachmann birdcage stock in Lake?

Or even some Gresley suburbans in teak or maroon might squeak by until some authentic stock becomes available? 

They sort of resemble that era... sort of...

They would be completely wrong but might well look the part for anyone who lives north of Watford,  south of Kingston, west of Amersham and east of Epping

Perhaps one could or might have to adopt the continental way of thinking - "as long as the scale is right...."

Better still, Radley has a special price for three kits together. For a price they will even build them for you.....

I have no connection with Radley but have learned from another thread that they have been revised since I built mine a couple of years ago.

A rake of three or four would really look the part with the Bo-Bo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love that grey one! What livery is that?

That is the wartime livery, some of them retained that livery until about 1960 and some until they were scrapped. Not all members of the class carried the grey livery.

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/posts/10155406575335394?comment_id=10155416051145394&offset=0&total_comments=1&notif_t=share_comment

The decision to change model 9004 from SARAH SIDDONS to JOHN HAMPDEN was taken as SARAH SIDDONS has different underframe equipment to the other locomotives. These parts have been produced and they will be used in subsequent production runs to create the version of SARAH SIDDONS as she is today.

Amongst other modifications SS has needle roller wheel bearings although I'm not sure there is much external change in appearance......

Compare the pictures in posts 126 and 132, preserved and in-service respectively.

Edited by Jeff Smith

For anyone looking for sample images, Howes Models have them on their site;

http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/category/OO%20Locomotives%20and%20Units?start=61&order=NULL

Picked up on the "Licensed Product" in the descriptions - surely Heljan don't need to talk to TFL to be allowed to produce these liveries?

Wow! These look very impressive. Can't wait!

Just got a message from Hattons this morning, saying the 9004 Sarah Siddons has been changed, I was aware of this as Heljan mention it on  their FB page a few weeks back something to do with under frame or some detail...

Just to let you know that the above item has changed from number 12 "Sarah Siddons" to number 5 "John Hampden". If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------
Hattons Model Railways
http://www.ehattons.com
0151 733 365512 "Sarah Siddons" to number 5 "John Hampden".

I really hope someone hasn't claimed sarah Siddons as a limited edition, with special box to bump price up. May have to reconsider my preorder now.

Dan - my money is on the LT Museum grabbing SS for a 'Special' release.

This info may help you decide which model(s) to order for your time period....some are quite short!

A little research and reference to K R Benest's book Metropolitan Electric Locomotives indicates that the two models in Metropolitan livery seem correct:-

Number 20 finished in newly delivered livery with no nameplate therefore approx. 1922 to 1928 with footplate side sills in maroon.  Nice picture on page 31 of Benest's book.

Number  9 in post 1928 livery with tree-part bronze nameplate which basically remained unchanged until LT took over in 1933.

Also from the book:-

Number 1 was painted grey in Oct 1944 and repainted LT maroon in Nov 1954 (all bronze nameplates were removed for the war effort),

Number 8 was painted maroon (from grey) in Mar 1956 and fitted with a new aluminium one-piece nameplate and then scrapped in Jan 1962.

Number 5 was painted maroon (from grey) in Aug 1955 (also with new nameplate), and removed from service in Jan 1962 and based at Acton works on shunting duties.  In 1972/3 it was repainted and used in a rail tour together with No. 12, and then in 1973 transferred to the LT Museum.

Metropolitan Maroon and LT Maroon were different.  Some reports say that early Met Maroon was actually closer to Midland Lake but that it darkened over the years.  LT retained the Met Maroon until repainting in grey.  Post-grey LT Maroon was probably the same as No 5 is now.  I suspect however that the Met and LT models use the same maroon.

Edited by Jeff Smith

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

An interesting train for Sarah Siddons (prototype for anything department)>>

Looks like Mk.IId's 

Its been confirmed that its four Mk IId's and a Mk IIe.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4

Guest spet0114

Hadn't intended to get one of these, then I saw the pics on the Howes website. The rest is history......

• Like 1

An interesting train for Sarah Siddons (prototype for anything department)>>

Looks like Mk.IId's 

Its been confirmed that its four Mk IId's and a Mk IIe.

Now that I have found something to run her with.... Oh my wallet....