High Level Kits

High Level Kits

...any pictures of Mr Gibbon's latest kit yet??

...i take its one of these 'beautifully' ugly little brutes?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidedwards/6120383832

Oh come on Axle, it's a lovable little puppy....

And the drive system is beautifully contrived but silky smooth.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk

This thread has helped me to spot the high level kit for the GT3, I have emailed them asking for the price for the kit but just curious if anyone knows the cost of it and how difficult / easy it is to assemble. From what I can see on the website it should be a straightforward install.

This thread has helped me to spot the high level kit for the GT3, I have emailed them asking for the price for the kit but just curious if anyone knows the cost of it and how difficult / easy it is to assemble. From what I can see on the website it should be a straightforward install.

If you haven't been there already: two threads that may be helpful.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93125-building-a-better-gt3/&do=findComment&comment=1680375

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114917-building-the-chocolate-zephyr-gt3/page-1&do=findComment&comment=2433766

P

• Like 1

Scoop!

I've just been sent this mobile phone snap, grabbed through the elbows of the thronging crowd that surrounded the High Level stand for most of last weekend. Taken by that prolific compiler of railway books, Mr David Dunn.

I hope Mr Gibbon doesn't mind it being posted up here as it shows the unfinished test hack. I'm told most of the supply of first run etches are virtually sold out to pre-orders.

post-508-0-16428700-1501784135.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 15

...test hack indeed...if you could hack as well as that uncle poursee I'd gladly give you my almost new Spear and Jackson 4 1/2 lb axe...

I might just be needing you to use that for me. Cameo baseboard on the horizon.

P

Porcy, it’s always rewarding when someone shows enthusiasm for what I’m doing, so I’m grateful to you for posting this. The brakegear and sandpipes are missing, and the fit of the chassis needs to be sorted, but that’s more or less the finished model.

I was particularly pleased to find that the ‘IllusoDrive system worked well on this model.

Hopefully, the website should be behaving now...

• Like 3

That looks like a Load Compact+ or a Humpshunter. (Never heard it called an IllusoDrive before.)

I like the name though...

The 'Illusodrive' business is the arrangement by which the flycrank is synchronised with the rods without - and this is the key bit - the two being connected. Does that make sense?

Adam

That looks like a Load Compact+ or a Humpshunter. (Never heard it called an IllusoDrive before.)

The front wheel crankpin sits right behind the conn rod, so the crankpin nut would have to be paper thin. On the model, the Jackshaft is gear-driven, and this drives the rear wheels; the front wheels are also driven by gears, with no crankpin, so they aren't connected to the rods at all... that's the illusion bit! 

• Like 3

Apologies,

I was dashing out for an appointment when I posted the video so didn't have time to write up a full explanation.

As others have now pointed out, the 03 chassis the drive crank is driven by an additional gear train from the gearbox. There is no physical connection between the coupling rods and the crank. They both rotate at the same speed giving the very convincing illusion that they are connected. That's why the crank is missing from the video chassis, as if it was fitted you cannot tell that they are not connected via a crank pin.

It saves the hassle of quartering the cranks. Clever engineering and Mr Gibbon should have patented the idea as I'm sure the "big boys" will pick up on the idea before long and start using it.