Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Clapham, Floriston and Wreay photo’s. They are all full of interest and nostalgia. In J6632, at Clapham viaduct, the two units are a class 101 and a class 110 on the service to Morecambe to Leeds in August, 1979. You can tell the second unit is a 110 from the four character head code box, the sloping tops to the outer windscreens, and the raised surrounds to the passenger saloon windows. Also it has RollsRoyce engines.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C5287 - wagons look like PTA tipplers. these were in semi-fixed rakes with tightlock couplers between wagons. At the end with the orange body band, these were rotary couplers so the wagons could be rotated without splitting the train.

(i.e. the fixed coupler on one wagon connected to the rotary one on the next wagon)

The wagons at each end of the rake had normal buffers and screw couplings at one end for coupling to the loco.

These were more commonly seen on iron ore flows to steelworks, I don't know if they were used for anything else?

Edited by keefer

C5287 - wagons look like PTA tipplers. these were in semi-fixed rakes with tightlock couplers between wagons. At the end with the orange body band, these were rotary couplers so the wagons could be rotated without splitting the train.

(i.e. the fixed coupler on one wagon connected to the rotary one on the next wagon)

The wagons at each end of the rake had normal buffers and screw couplings at one end for coupling to the loco.

These were more commonly seen on iron ore flows to steelworks, I don't know if they were used for anything else?

Lime from BSC's quarry at Shap to Ravenscraig steelworks; they used short rakes of 7 or 9 (I forget which) wagons. Later, there was a similar train from Ferryhill, with 'dolofines'.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Clapham, Floriston and Wreay photo’s. They are all full of interest and nostalgia. In J6632, at Clapham viaduct, the two units are a class 101 and a class 110 on the service to Morecambe to Leeds in August, 1979. You can tell the second unit is a 110 from the four character head code box, the sloping tops to the outer windscreens, and the raised surrounds to the passenger saloon windows. Also it has RollsRoyce engines.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The dmu identification curse strikes again, why didn't I notice the headcode box?

I think they may have been empties to Shap quarries from Ravenscraig.

Edit - Fat Controller got there first

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent and Bottesford photo's, which are full of interest. In J6866, with 47175 on a  Manchester to Parkeston Quay service, in April, 1980, it's interesting to see that colour light head on a semaphore post. I haven't seen too many signals so treated.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent and Bottesford photo's, which are full of interest. In J6866, with 47175 on a  Manchester to Parkeston Quay service, in April, 1980, it's interesting to see that colour light head on a semaphore post. I haven't seen too many signals so treated.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There was  a connection  to the Cotgrave branch from the east  forming a triangular junction (i.e. in front of the train).  The signal post used to have a feather above the main aspects.

The photo below shows it in October 1975.

post-5613-0-85529800-1541706080_thumb.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 105 Nottingham to Grantham Oct 75 C2518

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

There was a connection to the Cotgrave branch from the west forming a triangular junction (i.e. in front of the train). The signal post used to have a feather above the main aspects.

Radcliffe on Trent Class 105 Nottingham to Grantham Oct 75 C2518.jpg

David

David,

I think you mean from the east onto the Cotgrave branch? The western side of the triangle was at Rectory junction, the erstwhile end of Colwick yard. Radcliffe is east of the junction so the picture is looking west. That signal survived until the full resignalling of the area 5 or 6 years ago.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the eastern side of the triangle was ever used? As far as I understand it most if not all of the coal from Cotgrave went west?

Edit to clarify.

Edited by great central

• RMweb Gold

David,

I think you mean from the east onto the Cotgrave branch? The western side of the triangle was at Rectory junction, the erstwhile end of Colwick yard. Radcliffe is east of the junction so the picture is looking west. That signal survived until the full resignalling of the area 5 or 6 years ago.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the eastern side of the triangle was ever used? As far as I understand it most if not all of the coal from Cotgrave went west?

Edit to clarify.

You are right - I did mean east, I must have confused it with west facing.  I've corrected my original post.

I don't know if it was ever used, Mum and Dad moved to Radcliffe in early 1975, I don't think I ever took photos there before then and I've not found any of Dad's before then looking in that direction.

David

J6866 Manchester to Harwich; a typical cross country route.

1980 - 10 coaches, perhaps over provided, but nowadays (if there was such a service) would be most likely a 4 coach Artiva Xcountry voyager full and standing all the way. That is what, I think they would have us believe, is called progress?

47175; one of TI's pet Brush 4s. It and 47174 used to see a lot of use on Holiday Preview excursions, latterly known as 'Merrymakers'.

Edited by leopardml2341

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There was  a connection  to the Cotgrave branch from the east  forming a triangular junction (i.e. in front of the train).  The signal post used to have a feather above the main aspects.

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent Class 105 Nottingham to Grantham Oct 75 C2518.jpg

David

Further to this.  That style of post was a common pattern for signals with route indicators in ER resignalling schemes - the signal head mounted on a right angled bracket in front of the post and the junction indicator mounted on top of the post.  I don't know how many are still extant but there were loads at one time (eg in the KX, Peterborough and (former) Sheffield panel areas amongst others).  A very distinctive ER feature, another from the same era being the "scaffolding pole" style gantries.

Edited by DY444

J6866 Manchester to Harwich; a typical cross country route.

1980 - 10 coaches, perhaps over provided, but nowadays (if there was such a service) would be most likely a 4 coach Artiva Xcountry voyager full and standing all the way. That is what, I think they would have us believe, is called progress?

47175; one of TI's pet Brush 4s. It and 47174 used to see a lot of use on Holiday Preview excursions, latterly known as 'Merrymakers'.

That's a perfectly valid point regarding overcrowding on XC services, however on the other hand Harwich/Manchester then was one train per day each way (having been cut back by BR from Liverpool so that one set of stock could operate the round trip); Today the nearest comparable service would be Norwich/Liverpool, which runs hourly throughout the day.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s which are so full of stunning scenery. The last two photo’s, J3879, and J3880, at Mid Clyth and Lybster show what little remained of that line by August, 1974. An all too familiar story, sadly. Indeed, by today, I would imagine there will be little if anything left.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo’s, and in J6802, at Collingham Swinderby Lane crossing, with a class 47 on a Kings Cross to Cleethorpes train, in March, 1980, the Mk1 kitchen car looks very much like an RKB as built by Cravens, 1959 to 1961. They were the only Mk1 catering vehicles that Cravens built.

With warmest regards,

Rob.