Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J6682 Lyghe! Excellent older spelling! I haven’t seen it spelt like that in railway terms in more than 50 years, Dave! But it did indeed at one time call itself Lyghe Halt. These days it is simply Leigh.

I was on the other side of Kent - Dartford - at the time of the Appledore pics, and know nothing about the up siding. It was about then that Tokenless Block was installed on the Ponderosa, as colleagues were wont to call it. And a couple of years later that level crossing by the signalbox was converted to AOC(L) - Automatic Open Crossing (Locally Monitored). Basically, the approaching driver should get a white light, displayed on a background of a St George’s Cross, to tell him the crossing is operating correctly, with red lights to road users. There are no barriers. If he does not get the white light he should proceed with caution ready to stop short of the crossing if traffic is visible. On the day of the official inspection, the Inspecting Officer - probably Kit Holden - asked for the white light to be disabled for an approaching train - and the driver sailed straight across as if nothing was amiss......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the line on the right in J6739 a goods loop, possibly associated with the branch down to Dungeness power station, which goes off to the left in the middle distance, where the crossover is.

Looking at the SRS website it looks like it was a siding (or two) rather than a 'loop', but that was in the 50s/60s. I feel confident that someone will have information earlier than this to confirm if there was ever a loop there first?

Like the SR photos - I'd started catching the train to school in 78 so they bring back memories - particularly of a train very like the one you show at Cuxton that came off the Maidstone West branch and to Tonbridge; the 8.20 from Paddock Wood was the last train I could catch and still be on time.

I was going to make the same point as Olddudders re Leigh. Pronounced "Lie", so I guess the older spelling gives more of a clue.

EDIT - and the unit on the Tonbridge- Reading train was slightly unusual as a lot of the units I saw were 3 car DEMU units; I don't know enough to recall whether they were the same units as used on the Tunbridge Wells West trains.

Edited by The Lurker

• RMweb Gold

Like the SR photos - I'd started catching the train to school in 78 so they bring back memories - particularly of a train very like the one you show at Cuxton that came off the Maidstone West branch and to Tonbridge; the 8.20 from Paddock Wood was the last train I could catch and still be on time.

I was going to make the same point as Olddudders re Leigh. Pronounced "Lie", so I guess the older spelling gives more of a clue.

EDIT - and the unit on the Tonbridge- Reading train was slightly unusual as a lot of the units I saw were 3 car DEMU units; I don't know enough to recall whether they were the same units as used on the Tunbridge Wells West trains.

In 78 the Tonbridge - Reading service was run with 3-R sets, a hybrid of two Hastings-gauge cars and a Restriction 4 driving trailer from an EPB set. As a result of that wider vehicle, these could not run beyond Tonbridge to Tunbridge Wells, due to gauge restrictions on that route. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southern photo’s which are so atmospheric, and full of interest. J6683, at Cuxton, with a class 416, shows how faint the internal lighting was. Certainly not as bright as on the Bachmann model. And you have a good view of the station canopy, level crossing gates and signal box at Appledore in the first photo’ - a great composition which reveals all that was good about the station back then on Boxing Day, 1979.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Lighting on model railways is one of my soap box triggers; always very much too bright and usually the wrong colour cast.  Add inappropriate lit tail lights on loco pulling trains, or pre 1980s double tail lamps on dmus, flickering, signal and loco lights that would burn out retinas at 20 miles if they were scaled up but might be useful for melting your way through snowdrifts, and people who insist on cameos involving road works, RTAs, buildings on fire and wotnot, so that they can have lots of overbright flashing lights to show how clever they are, look at my lights everybody, look, and they flash as well, aren't they bright!!!, look, look.

Great pictures David, is that a goods loop at appledore?.

You can't really tell there was any track there now

Looks more like a long siding - if you enlarge the photo, there's a horizontal white bar (buffer stop?) near the far signal

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, which are fascinating and so nostalgic. In C6740, at Hexham with a class 101 DMU, on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on the 9th March, 1985, you have a clear view of how tall the starting signal was, and then the other signal is really quite short. It shows what was needed for drivers sighting purposes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, which are fascinating and so nostalgic. In C6740, at Hexham with a class 101 DMU, on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on the 9th March, 1985, you have a clear view of how tall the starting signal was, and then the other signal is really quite short. It shows what was needed for drivers sighting purposes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Indeed, and this wasn't a particularly high speed line.

Dave, Thanks for posting the Southern photos.  The siding at Appledore once formed the headshunt for the goods yard but by the time of your photo the yard had been lifted and the siding was used by the engineers.  I do not recall any use of the siding in connection with the flask traffic from Dungeness, although it may perhaps have been used in the days when aggregate traffic was forwarded from Lydd.  The view looking north east from Cuxton is interesting as it shows both the  Up Goods Loop and Down Siding which appears to have a wagon stabled at the far end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Eastern phot's, which includes an open day at Stratford. In the first photo' at.Chappel and Wakes Colne, with class 105 DMU on a  Marks Tey to Sudbury service, in May, 1979, the DTCL, seems to have the first class yellow stripe, but no first class stickers on the windows. In C4642, at the Stratford Open Day, with a great photo' of the cab end of 313033, in July, 1979, it's a reminder that the Great Northern units are to be taken out of service soon and replaced with class 717 units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a fascinating set of photo's from Swayfield. In J3115, with class 40 number 257 on a down service in October, 1972, three discs can be seen to be open, when there should only be one above each buffer. 

In J5444, with class 31s, numbers 31404 and 31401 on a down service in September, 1976, it must be a Deltic or 47 substitution.

With warmest regards,

Rob 

Wonderful photos Dave, particularly the HST 43075 at Damdykes

Damdykes looks like a great photo location but I'm struggling to think of the exact location.  Is it on the road from Cramlington to Arcot Hall?

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Dam Dykes and Cramlington photo’s, which are most interesting. In particular, C6511, at Cramlington with track relaying taking place, on the 19th February, 1984, after a derailment. I’m just wondering exactly what the yellow machinery is on the line undergoing the relaying.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful photos Dave, particularly the HST 43075 at Damdykes

Damdykes looks like a great photo location but I'm struggling to think of the exact location.  Is it on the road from Cramlington to Arcot Hall?

Mal

It is indeed.  I usually park on the east side of the crossing on the south side of the road. 

There is no view to the south because of the "new" woodland but the field on the east of the line gives a good view in the mornings, there is a view from the road west of the crossing in the afternoon.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Dam Dykes and Cramlington photo’s, which are most interesting. In particular, C6511, at Cramlington with track relaying taking place, on the 19th February, 1984, after a derailment. I’m just wondering exactly what the yellow machinery is on the line undergoing the relaying.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I believe it is a carrying frame for craning pre-assembled track sections off the Salmon wagons in the background, but the crane is out of shot.