Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Church Lane crossing on the Great Eastern. J4265, of a Class 37, on a down express, in April, 1975, is a superb photo’ of a once classic GE train.

The couple of photo’s from the family albums are excellent. Jimg355Apr, which may be at Cambridge, from about 1948/9, with your Mum in the cab of the loco on the left, is a lovely photo’. And the following photo’ of people at a bus stop is so delightful. You are right, you just do not see people with newspapers on a model railway. I don’t know why.

The black and white photo’s from around Trent on the Midland, are a most excellent set, and true gems. JVol7311, of Fairburn 4MTT, 42184, on an up passenger train, in c1950, is a splendid three quarter portrait shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J3015 - 1M88 used to be the up Waverley (Edinburgh-St.Pancras via Waverley route) 

J3017 - interesting for the gangway shield in use, I'd have thought their use ended well before!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I’m sorry to hear about the death of a friend in Canada. Please accept my condolences.

That’s a great set of photo’s of the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway at Embsay with photos from 1972, 1975 and 1984. J4205, is a fascinating line up of locomotives, Peckett Foleshill and Sentinel Ann and Hudswell Clarke Slugh Estates, as on the 5th March, 1975.

What an excellent selection of photo’s at Hathern on the Midland north of Loughborough, in August, 1972. J3015, of Class 45, 84, on an up Sheffield to St Pancras express, is a superb photo’ of a typical early 1970’s Midland Railway express train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Good evening, David.

Having been away for ten days, I've just been catching up on the postings since 17th April.

For completeness, I can offer the following IDs to some of the images in recent batches.

J2777, posted on 18/4 (and C726 of 19/4), is 'Deltic' 9011

J5617, posted on 18/4, is 55 019

Moving on to the batches of class 20s posted on 21/4 (courtesy of RailGenArchive), the ANOs are resolved, as follows:

C5467 is 20 081 and 20 063 and the train is the 08:24 Leicester (rather than Derby) - Skegness

C5858 is 20 180 and 20 135

C6059 is 20 188 and 20 077

C6155 is 20 172 and 20 163

Unfortunately, I can't help with C5855, as the leading loco number is unreadable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 35A said:

Good evening, David.

Having been away for ten days, I've just been catching up on the postings since 17th April.

For completeness, I can offer the following IDs to some of the images in recent batches.

J2777, posted on 18/4 (and C726 of 19/4), is 'Deltic' 9011

J5617, posted on 18/4, is 55 019

Moving on to the batches of class 20s posted on 21/4 (courtesy of RailGenArchive), the ANOs are resolved, as follows:

C5467 is 20 081 and 20 063 and the train is the 08:24 Leicester (rather than Derby) - Skegness

C5858 is 20 180 and 20 135

C6059 is 20 188 and 20 077

C6155 is 20 172 and 20 163

Unfortunately, I can't help with C5855, as the leading loco number is unreadable.

Thank you very much,  I've updated the captions.

David

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

C1059 at Embsay, what was the orange object / device labelled 'Clockwork Orange' in the bottom right corner - diesel shunter? 

Thanks.

According to my notes I made at the time it was a 4 wheel self propelled trolley.  It may beBagguley/Drewry 4WDM 425483, built in 1938 which is listed as being at Embsay in the ARPS year book "Steam 74".  I don't have a copy for 1972  so that is the best I can do.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, DaveF said:

SandyClass31downfreightApr74J3646.jpg.b9cdaf67c99c2b230149e08f7ecd6e1c.jpg

Sandy Class 31 down freight Apr 74 J3646

There's one for the 'Prototype for Everything' thread! 

Presumably the BG is needed somewhere and this was the quickest way of getting it there, while handily providing part of the fitted head?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I am impressed that your parent was using colour film when you were three. I have a photo of me in the garden with my first train at the same age, plastic and on plastic track. But black and white.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am impressed that your parent was using colour film when you were three. I have a photo of me in the garden with my first train at the same age, plastic and on plastic track. But black and white.

Jonathan

As far as I can work out Dad first used colour slide film in October 1950 with railway photos at Lewes and family photos at Brighton.  I think his last black and white photos were about 1960, but he used colour most of the time from about 1953ish.

I used black and white film first with a Brownie 127 and then a Yashica 35mm camera from 1960 until June 1969 when I changed to colour slide film apart from a few times for specific reasons.

Mum did much the same as Dad with her photography.

Fortunately most of their (and my) photos are catalogued and dated. I have at least 75,000 colour slide scans of photos taken by us plus thousands of scans of black and white photos.  Then there are many thousands of digital photos as well!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s from Germany, with most  of the photos at Assmannshausen on the Rhine taken in 1990 and 1991, with one photo’ in the Harz of the Harzquerbahn near Allerbach in July, 1991. C14676, at Assmannshausen, with 140 582, on a northbound freight train, on the 2nd August, 1990, being a superb portrait shot of the locomotive, complete with open cab door. 

The photo’s of places beginning with "S" are a superb selection. That first photo’ is a lovely one, a family album shot of you at just three years of age, at Sandilands, in August, 1952. Thank you for posting the family photo’s when you do, they are always interesting to see. I too had a train like that at three, but no photo’s have survived.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I have at least 75,000 colour slide scans of photos taken by us plus thousands of scans of black and white photos.  Then there are many thousands of digital photos as well!

Blimey David..... You must be associated with the likes of the British Railway Museum, in all fairness if it wasn't for you and your parents photography we would have missed out big time.

Thank you soooooo much for sharing, very much appreciated....

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 5
  • Agree 14

10 minutes ago, jcarta said:

I have at least 75,000 colour slide scans of photos taken by us plus thousands of scans of black and white photos.  Then there are many thousands of digital photos as well!

Blimey David..... You must be associated with the likes of the British Railway Museum, in all fairness if it wasn't for you and your parents photography we would have missed out big time.

Thank you soooooo much for sharing, very much appreciated....

Totally echo this sentiment - yours is the first page I look at and to be honest, it is indispensable for folk like me who live overseas where local access to information, i.e., books, is a challenge.

Thank you Dave

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sandy being one of my trainspotting homes from my Cambridge days (and I've never moved far away ), I am surprised at that dmu at Sandy on a Norwich-Birmingham! I never knew they wnt that way. I always thought they were a 'new' service in the mid-60s.  I lived close to what is now Cambridge North (it was formerly Chesterton Junction, our most regular spotting haunt.) I remember well the excitement of what we thought were new services appearing, usually 101/104 dmus, Though there may be some relationship to former M&GN services ceasing in 1959?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A quick clarification - of the 75,000 slide scans only about 48,000 are railway, the rest are landscpaes and family - but quite a few have a bit of railway somewhere in them!

As for how there are so many, photography is my main hobby after natural history and  model making, When I used to go to Europe in the late 80s and 90s in the summer I would expect to use 50 to 60 slide films in about 4 weeks - i.e. about 1,800 - 2,100slides.  In the earlier years I took around 400 slides a year, in later years obviously a lot more.  Dad and Mum were much the same, they were both very keen photographers, at one time Dad did some professional photography, but not of railways - mainly weddings and such like.

By the way, no association with any museums or anything except for camera clubs over the years.

David

Edit.  I am sure there are many others with large collections, some appear on flickr which is well worth looking at (some of mine are there as well).

D

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

That, my friend, is devotion to The Art above and beyond. Please keep them coming. Your catalogue has been mentioned without prompting regarding prototype in many conversations I've had.

Regards

Guy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, keefer said:

There's one for the 'Prototype for Everything' thread! 

Presumably the BG is needed somewhere and this was the quickest way of getting it there, while handily providing part of the fitted head?

From observations in the area at the time, the local 'trips', which this looks like, still served the goods yards at the intermediate stations to Peterborough and often included parcels vans in the consist; they were dropped off and picked up at some of the stations, for example in the down side loading dock at Biggleswade.  Grain wagons were loaded at Sandy in particular but also at St. Neots sometimes.  I would imagine the train is fully fitted, at least the front portion including the grain wagons would be?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Sandy being one of my trainspotting homes from my Cambridge days (and I've never moved far away ), I am surprised at that dmu at Sandy on a Norwich-Birmingham! I never knew they wnt that way. I always thought they were a 'new' service in the mid-60s.  I lived close to what is now Cambridge North (it was formerly Chesterton Junction, our most regular spotting haunt.) I remember well the excitement of what we thought were new services appearing, usually 101/104 dmus, Though there may be some relationship to former M&GN services ceasing in 1959?

Saxby, just east of Melton Mowbray, Stewart, rather than Sandy. Image courtesy of Richard Fairhurst ("New Adlestrop Railway Atlas"). The junction where the M&GN headed east towards Bourne and South Lynn.

image.png.3535a05e7eb3a1d13edaf03f1f128423.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2