Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Lovely pictures from Embsay today, David. It's always lovely to see the formative years of today's preserved railways documented. I have quite a number of the Nene Valley, the Severn Valley, the Great Central and the Midland Railway Centre, taken in the late 70s and early 80s. It's always interesting to study how the sites have evolved over the years and to see them in their primitive states.

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Yorkshire Dales Railway photo’s at Embsay. They show how the railway has developed since those early days.

What a great selection of ECML photo’s from Barkston to north of Newark. What a splendid sight the Deltic makes in J6066, at Carlton on Trent. 55006, The Fife And Forfar Yeomanry, on an up express in May, 1978. It looks very much like a Deltic plus eight formation - the last coaches are partially hidden by the warning sign.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.&S.R. photo’s, which are a great selection. That’s quite a view looking at the line ahead through the catenary in J6919, at Low Street, looking towards Tilbury, in May, 1980. Some of the rails look a bit wonky in the telephoto view - I’m quite sure they were good and straight in reality.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has to be a racehorse and D9003 MELD worked 1S17 on Saturday 22 November 1969 (from Chronicles of Napier website).

That date seems quite possible.  Dad took some photos earlier in the month before J2026 at other locations and visited one location (Cadeby, to see Teddy Boston) at the very end of the month after this photo.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from north of Newcastle. In particular J6979, at South Newsham with tracklaying work taking place, which is well caught in the photo’. It can be seen that the crossover between the up and down lines was being replaced. Hi Vis vests in use by all working on the track by that date, in June, 1980.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from north of Newcastle. In particular J6979, at South Newsham with tracklaying work taking place, which is well caught in the photo’. It can be seen that the crossover between the up and down lines was being replaced. Hi Vis vests in use by all working on the track by that date, in June, 1980.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Not quite all are wearing Hi Vis (I count at least 5) and at least 1 wearing a RED coat - a definite no-no when I started in 1973!

Great to see those old pics of South Newsham.

Apart from the main Blyth & Tyne running lines in the foreground, the whole area is now a mass of houses!

I've been looking for refererence photos of 80s rail workers for my new layout.  Your photo of tracklaying at South Newham confirms that full hi-vis suits as worn by today's rail workers were not around.

Half jacket size vests seems to have been 'in fashion' in the 80s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s that start at Keighley. A great set, and it’s great to see B1 61306, Mayflower, as well as Black Five, 44871 in the first photo’. The last two photo’s show a typical mixed DMU formation, but on enlarging them, it can be seen that the three car Metro Cammell unit has the large radiators, smaller and smoother battery boxes and straight exhaust pipe all indicative of the RollsRoyce engined class 111 sets. It, admittedly, can be difficult to differentiate them from the class 101’s from a distance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s that start at Keighley. A great set, and it’s great to see B1 61306, Mayflower, as well as Black Five, 44871 in the first photo’. The last two photo’s show a typical mixed DMU formation, but on enlarging them, it can be seen that the three car Metro Cammell unit has the large radiators, smaller and smoother battery boxes and straight exhaust pipe all indicative of the RollsRoyce engined class 111 sets. It, admittedly, can be difficult to differentiate them from the class 101’s from a distance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Once again I've amended the captions.

Will I ever get dmus right? (please don't answer - I know what the answer will be).

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo's. All full of interest and nostalgia. In J6483, with class 114 DMU on a Nottingham to Grantham service, in May 1979, it looks good crossing the viaduct. A good composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

Another set of very nice photos Dave, thanks for sharing. I'll start the ball rolling re identification of the 47s, in J4181 I think it is 1724, and recently 'out shopped' by the look of it.

Edited by iands