Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland. In C20879, at Rock, with a class 91, heading a down express on the 13th April, 1996, you have caught a delightful three quarters portrait of the train.

The two photo’s using different shutter priorities do show two rather different views of the same train and surrounding countryside. I think yours has a brighter and more natural look to it, compared to your Dad’s setting. His is ‘darker’, although there is some cloud detail to be seen in the sky. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice comparison, and the camera never lies. I reckon you were stood on the left and had a slightly longer exposure by one or two stops?

If you were two stops apart, I reckon half way between the two would have been the best compromise in foreground versus background exposure.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Nice comparison, and the camera never lies. I reckon you were stood on the left and had a slightly longer exposure by one or two stops?

If you were two stops apart, I reckon half way between the two would have been the best compromise in foreground versus background exposure.

Looking at the photos I agree I was standing just to the left of Dad.  I think the exposure was about a stop different.

I too think that the best exposure would have been halfway between the two.

It always surprises me how the exposure can vary by moving the camera only a few degrees to one side or up/down.

David.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of the Great Central Railway. The first photo’ at Loughborough Central, with RSH, rebuilt as GCR, 39, in April, 1979, is a delightful portrait shot of the engine. I can only guess that the history of the locomotive is given on the notice that can be seen on the edge of the footplate.

The Newcastle Central photo’s are excellent, and in C11785, with class 47, 47585, on a down light engine movement, going away, on the 7th March, 1989, shows a jacket hung up in the rear cab, on the bulkhead, and, I think, your shadow too, David.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of Pegswood, on the ECML, north of Morpeth, on the 2nd June, 2004. The last one of a down Virgin Voyager, has inside frame bogies, and is only four carriages long. It fits the criteria of a class 220 rather than a 221. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of photo’s of Clifton, to the south of Penrith, on the WCML, as on the 27th July, 2004. The first photo’ of DRS engines class 37 and a class 66 down light engines, has the two popular liveries of DRS on view. The remaining photo’s show Voyagers overtaking a looped class 66 and it’s train, showing how freights are held in the loop at Clifton to allow express passenger services to have priorities. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

P.S. I’m having to be careful not to click that huge ‘back to the top’ button on the lower right of the box I’m typing in on my iPad. 

• Thanks 1

Its hard to   imagine that when built Seascale was to be a massive holiday resort to rival blackpool but did not even get off the starting blocks. location weather and a public who did not want to go there perhaps it was timely that it did not happen.  The  holidaymakers would not have apreciated a certain complex that is just up the coast that takes over the area .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Seascale on the Cumbrian Coast line from late July, 2004. In IMG_4198, looking south 27th, July, you can see someone on the tracks. I hope he/she was not trespassing and that no serious incident happened.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Seascale on the Cumbrian Coast line from late July, 2004. In IMG_4198, looking south 27th, July, you can see someone on the tracks. I hope he/she was not trespassing and that no serious incident happened.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

As far as I can see from the original scan he was crossing the track to get to the down platform - it's a long way round by the road underbridge and there aren't too many trains - but it is still not a good idea.

David

• Thanks 1

On 04/11/2021 at 15:34, DaveF said:

1434348386_wLoughboroughMidlandGarratt47989upfreightc1955JBWImageU06.jpg.ae83e9085a391ac461fede8f3cea3c8a.jpg

Loughborough Midland Garratt 47989 up freight c1955 JBWImageU06

1181991544_wLoughboroughMidlandIvatt4MT43025downpass1955JMImageA04.jpg.67ebe77b55fc5076ad836a1597c5dde9.jpg

Loughborough Midland Ivatt 4MT 43045 down pass  1955  JMImageA04

David

These two Loughborough photos are wonderful, just for the little details that they contain.

The Garret with slope sided minerals for the first few wagons. Also the Ivatt with some motley coaches that look to have been around forever.

Also, notice the main fast lines have been re-laid with flat bottom rail, but the goods lines are still bullhead. And all these people who keep moaning for Peco bullhead track, how much of the rail was being re-laid even in the 50s with flat bottomed track?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see both a brake van and a barrier wagon in the first photo.

And I assume that that road sign indicated that there was a bridge under the line rather than that the road just curved into the embankment.

And am I right in thinking that the five diesel locos are all in different liveries?

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

And I assume that that road sign indicated that there was a bridge under the line rather than that the road just curved into the embankment.

And am I right in thinking that the five diesel locos are all in different liveries?

Jonathan

The road sign is a warning that the road goes sharp left to go over the level crossing.  No bridge!

I think that 47 in photo 2 and the second 56 in the last photo may be in the same livery, but am not sure.

David

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

The train with the barrier and brake van had carried liquid ammonia from ICI on Teesside to Scottish Agricultural Industries at Leith. There was another van and barrier pairing at the other end, the reason being to avoid the guard having to walk past the tanks whilst proceeding to protect the rear of the train in the event of an incident.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, DaveF said:

711550859_UlghamLanecrossing47311upSRPSspecialJuly91J12067.jpg.6352278636111435271e0a9717dcccb6.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 47311 up SRPS special July 91 J12067

Six Bells Junction doesn’t list an SRPS railtour during July 91, but does list one for 29 June 91 from Edinburgh to York and back, to which 47063 was allocated, but asks if it ran! Your photo is probably that train because 47063 had those construction sector decals, whereas 47311 had RfD orange triangles.

Edited by brushman47544
Delete photos

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Six Bells Junction doesn’t list an SRPS railtour during July 91, but does list one for 29 June 91 from Edinburgh to York and back, to which 47063 was allocated, but asks if it ran! Your photo is probably that train because 47063 had those construction sector decals, whereas 47313 had RfD orange triangles.

Thanks very much, as it was at the very end of the month it might easily have been recorded as July not June.

It could be 47063, I think Dad sometimes got the numbers wrong.

David