Is it worth my while going to the SVR on Monday 12th May?

JeffP

Wife has to be in Brum for a meeting, we get to go Sunday and stay over.

I REALLY wanted to see and photograph the Warship, but, of course, it's on loan to the WSR.

Will there be anything worth looking at on the Monday, or would I be better re-tracing my boyhood routes around Brum from 1971?

Or is there a nice place to spend a few hours spotting? Preferably NOT New Street.............

• RMweb Premium

If you look at the SVR website under meet the locomotives  http://www.svr.co.uk/MeetTheLocos.aspx after Thursday this week it will tell you what is in use next week and on which trains, with Peppa Pig this weekend all locos will need to be available.

the pig is on washout this week, however it should be back for the weekend.

Kind regards

Duncan

Well......I went.

Would I bother again? No.

Because once you've seen it, then it's a bit, so what?

You can't get near the engine sheds, so no close ups, locos stop past the end of platforms, so no close ups, and the Engine House is like the NRM.......sterile.

For me, preserved railways are good for those mildly interested. Not for me, sadly.

But what's to see? I'm not a GWR fan.........

Why not ?   :O​ 

Well......I went.

Would I bother again? No.

Because once you've seen it, then it's a bit, so what?

You can't get near the engine sheds, so no close ups, locos stop past the end of platforms, so no close ups, and the Engine House is like the NRM.......sterile.

For me, preserved railways are good for those mildly interested. Not for me, sadly.

Shame you were dissapointed, many places the sheds are off bounds, H&S I guess, but they do have the museum where you can get up close 

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your day out.

The shed at Bridgnorth has been closed to visitors apart from special days (Galas, 4150 peep behind the sceens and a weekend in April) due to health and saftey regulations since about the early 1990's

What is it you would have liked to see in the engine house which would have made it less sterile?

In terms of getting close ups of the engines in the only places locos stop on the platforms are at Bewdley and Hampton Loade going towards Bridgnorth and at Arley and Kidderminster in the Kidderminster direction, which is dictated by the lenght of trains and platforms which are not ideal for those wanting to get up close to the engines on the line.

• RMweb Gold

We went over the bank holiday weekend.

Still one of my favourite lines but it was dissappointing that the locos stop beyond the platform at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster on busy days as the train is that long. Its better than standing on a shorter train with fewer seats. We did get off at Bewdley for a few beers and to take some photos of the trains coming into the station.

It was superb weather aswell which added to the days enjoyment. Was great to see Sir Keith Parks running even if its not its old territory.

We will be back next year.

Ian

Poor weather didn't help me.....I got quite wet.

In the engine house it was more like a museum, clean etc, I wanted the shed atmosphere. Nothing wrong with it, just didn't suit me.

I DID have a nice day despite the weather, but it wasn't what I wanted, which was close ups/detail shots of the locos, especially the western and the warship, (which was on loan anyway....my bad luck).

Sorry if my post implied the Railway isn't up to scratch: far from it, in fact, it's well-run, the staff are excellent and I'm sure that the vast majority of your customers will return.

Jeff

I know what you mean, I have in laws in Kent. Quite often I drop in at the KESR as I could do with some photos of the SECR P. Never running when I am there.

I enjoyed the Engine House, its the best way of preserving locos that need working on. Much better than leaving them outside. The Watercress line I believe have access to the shed now as it was part of the deal when getting funding. Last time I was in the area they had a gala day so kept well clear. I think that Peak rail have a similar thing in one of their sheds. But the days of roaming about where engines are being worked on/prepared or just waiting for their turn are well over. Pity but quite understandable

It is a question that is often asked "Can we go round the shed?" 

You have to remember it is a working environment with welding/ riveting and other machinery work going on. Also there are three rather large open holes. And more important is the security aspect to consider. 

If you would like photos of the 52s and the 42. I can quite happily be used as a "go for" and get any photos you would like.

I know what your saying jeffp,I was really looking forward to my first trip to the nrm,years ago,it was the most disappointing railway thing ive ever done,I think H&s have ruined most things today in the world i live in,Hate to imagine the steam railways like the svr would be like in the future,Bridgenorth has got some atmosphere now,But they are talking about changing all that ,Think we need a time machine.

These big preserved lines are victims of their own success. The more people that visit the longer the trains get (real world parallels) leading to the locomotives being off the end of the platform. The result many enthusiasts and children don't get as close to the engines as they would like. The answer seems to be lengthening the platforms but that then runs the potential risk of destroying the 'preserved' nature of the line blurring the line between commercial venture and preserving something for future generations to enjoy as it was.

Archived