Re-engineered Class 73

scouser

I quite like it actually! The odd thing is, is that the DMU type plough rather adds to the Boxy shape of the 73 rather than detracts from it - in the same way that it works on a 153 (both aesthetically and practicality) as well as the retention of the former headcode box window as well.

Although it'll still be / feel odd seeing the sight of a 73 in Fort Bill - and that's coming from a Southerner who's used to seeing them on the juice or starting them up on a cold day in the surroundings of Eastleigh than the beautiful highland landscapes these will be running in. I do rather rate that 'Midnight Teal' colour as well!

I like the subtle curve to the top of the yellow panel, I can't remember seeing a 73 done like that before It normally stops around the handrails.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the midnight teal. People were saying gWr green is dull, this looks even darker!

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Like that new look and the sleeper design! Now this loco has a face and doesn't look like a rolling box...

There was a video somewhere which suggests it's quite quiet too, which should be good for the sleeper (the 67 was quite audible the last time I used it).

• 3 weeks later...

Still on training runs

Last week was Mossend - Craigentinny

This week was supposed to be Craigentinny - Aberdeen

Sadly on its first southbound trip the loco was declared a failure at Perth

Next week was supposed to be Craigentinny - Inverness, then after that entry into passenger use on the Glasgow - Edinburgh until a second had completed 1000 fault free miles, but that looks doubtful now

It seems odd to reduce the drivers visibility, in effect making it the same view as from a DMU / EMU with a corridor connection

I am wondering if it forms part of the increased requirements for crash protection

I seem to recall that the cost of reglazing the panel was prohibitive and unnecessary during the rebuild. The view isn't that restricted, just losing some peripheral vision which let's face it is not the same issue for trains as it is for, say, cars.

It seems odd to reduce the drivers visibility, in effect making it the same view as from a DMU / EMU with a corridor connection

I am wondering if it forms part of the increased requirements for crash protection

I'm not sure that it reduces visibility compared to the pre-refurbished version of the 73 - surely you never could see out of the centre front window because of the headcode blind box there.

They may have had an opportunity to increase it on refurbishment by replacing the headcode blind box with plain glass, but evidently they didn't.

There's in-cab photos on this page (scroll down a bit): http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page96.htm

Doesn't look too bad to me, but I'm not a driver.

• RMweb Premium

I'd not noted the third rail show gear before - that's definitely a big change from stock. Has this been done to other 73's apart from the 73/9's?

It looks like standard retractable 73 gear. The big grey bits are the flashguards to protect the bogies. They accumulate dirt very quickly so are really only noticeable when freshly painted.

Cheers,

Mick

I seem to recall that the cost of reglazing the panel was prohibitive and unnecessary during the rebuild

Odd, as the entire structure was stripped during the rebuild

There is virtually no difference in the cost of the glass, between laminated and tempered

I would need to view the interior, but seems odd if the headcode structure has been re-inserted, but it is more likely a new electrical control unit

With respect to the drivers view, I mean compared to existing traction used

I appreciate only a rail view is required, but with the headcode structure in the way the view to the right is now restricted and would be partially useful between Helensburgh - Fort William and Perth - Inverness

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Out on a Test run from Loughborough, caught at Clay Cross North junction 73970 running as 0Z74 Doncaster - Derby.

attachicon.gifDSC_0739.jpg

This one appears to have glass and a wiper on the central cab opening. Are they different at each end or are they not all the same as each other?

ROB

Archived