The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Not mine yet Ben, my dads off to shildon to pick ours up next weds, countdown has started! Cant wait to get it now as im sure many are, hope to see Kit n Sandra at York this weekend and ogle the example, dont think ull have much bother shifting yours if you decide not to keep it!

Cheers

James

I'm afraid I won't be there James.

No-one asked me to attend and I've other things on my plate now, sorry. 

I'm afraid I won't be there James.

No-one asked me to attend and I've other things on my plate now, sorry.

What a shame Kit, im sure i wont be the only one that was hoping youd be there again with some more fascinating insights and stories of the APT project.It was speaking to you last year that spurred us on to ordering one there and then at the York show, i bet we wernt the only ones who ordered at the show after talking to you either!

I'll be at the big DEMU Show at Burton-on-Trent on June 4th-5th for both days, and if you're a DEMU member I'll be giving the shorter, 1.5 hrs approx., version of my APT talk on the Saturday evening between the AGM and the dinner. 

If it's like last year I'll probably be piggy-backing on Shane's stand much of the time  :D so any and all questions will be gladly answered over those two days, assuming I know the answers of course. 

I'm also available for similar talks to any and all model railway clubs or other interested organisations. The talk comes in three lengths, short (1.5 hrs.) medium (2.5 hrs) and 'OMG, is he EVER going to stop?'  :D  Naturally in the 21st Century it's a Powerpoint presentation, so I'll need a video projector and a screen, so if anyone's interested please PM me on here. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'll be at the big DEMU Show at Burton-on-Trent on June 4th-5th for both days, and if you're a DEMU member I'll be giving the shorter, 1.5 hrs approx., version of my APT talk on the Saturday evening between the AGM and the dinner. 

Looking forward to the presentation Kit. It'll make sitting through the AGM worthwhile.... (but don't tell the DEMU committee). I'll be there again with a predominantly yellow display. Deadman's Lane complete with APT-E will be there in 2017.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone's turned up yet ?

When I asked at Ally, Sandra said in all reality dispatching won't happen in bulk until month end and there are a few available to buy.

Looking at it at ally, first impression was... Gosh... It's going to be quite long !

Edited by adb968008

yes the apt is ment to be amazing I hopefully don't have long to wait till I can find out myself

are you into your classic cars your self then Kit?

some may argue that a ford orion isn't a classic theres just not many about any more lol

cheers

Phil

yes the apt is ment to be amazing I hopefully don't have long to wait till I can find out myself

some may argue that a ford orion isn't a classic theres just not many about any more lol

cheers

Phil

There is a chap round the corner from me who drives a white Orion, still in original condition by the look of it. It has a very 80's look about it!

Cheers

Shane

You could say so Phil, I'm the founder and the President of the Droop Snoot Group, the owners club for Vauxhall HP Firenzas (only 204 built) the Sportshatch estate (only 197 of them) and the HS Chevette (400 of them). One of each in the pic below.

gXqGL0.jpg

I've got the very last HP Firenza in my garage but it's never run, has never been registered and is lacking a few vital bits, like a crankshaft, windscreen, internals to its carbs, plus it has dummy wooden dampers!  :O

Thread Drift Rules OK!  :D

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A nice diversion while we wait for the parcels to arrive . . . especially good for me because my first car was an Opel Kadett, much the same outside as the Chevette here. I remember a good driver's car, only really let down by its cross-ply tyres, which I let myself trade in too soon. What a fine start to the day.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

You could say so Phil, I'm the founder and the President of the Droop Snoot Group, the owners club for Vauxhall HP Firenzas (only 204 built) the Sportshatch estate (only 197 of them) and the HS Chevette (400 of them). One of each in the pic below.

gXqGL0.jpg

I've got the very last HP Firenza in my garage but it's never run, has never been registered and is lacking a few vital bits, like a crankshaft, windscreen, internals to its carbs, plus it has dummy wooden dampers!  :O

Thread Drift Rules OK!  :D

Are they all yours kit? They're excellent did all the HS's have the recessed lamps? I know HSRs were flush.

I used to have the chevette's main competitor a while back, the sunbeam lotus'. I have since bought slower more practical classics for Norfolk roads namely a metro turbo, maestro EFi,MGf and my everyday transport BR maestro van!

Now I remember why I did a plank about 4' long with a slight curve a couple of years ago.

APT-E_plank_1s.jpg

Right, I've read the book and Jason says "Doubtless people are going to comment on RMweb about how inconvenient it is to assemble this train" but does add "the first couple of times are very, very tricky. Once you've got the knack you can do it in seconds.".

Yes, I did find it very tricky but holding the bogie assembly with some thin-nosed pliers did help and it did require a little persuasion, only afterwards did I realise there's a couple of plastic pins on the car you're attaching which line up with a slot in the bogie assembly to help you see you're on the right track and when these are firmly engaged you know you're done. But it is tricky and in the phrase Jason often repeats in the booklets "No, really". ;)

Very impressed with appearances so far.

• Like 14

Are they all yours kit? They're excellent did all the HS's have the recessed lamps? I know HSRs were flush.
I used to have the chevette's main competitor a while back, the sunbeam lotus'. I have since bought slower more practical classics for Norfolk roads namely a metro turbo, maestro EFi,MGf and my everyday transport BR maestro van!

I wish! Only the Sportshatch, PLR985R, on the left was mine, now sadly squashed flat by a fallen tree in the early 90s.  :devil:

Late production HSs had the flush headlights fitted when Vauxhall upgraded the whole Chevette range, and as all 50 HSRs were converted from late cars they all ended up like that. It's an easy upgrade if you can get the parts though.........................if! 

I ran a Meastro EFi for 2.5 yrs for work, a cracking car, frightened XR3is all over the country.  :lol:  And I did some test work on the Meastro Turbo over in the USA as well, that really WAS a hoot, I was stopped by the cops almost every day!  :D

Now I remember why I did a plank about 4' long with a slight curve a couple of years ago.

Andy, that looks SUPERB! Very nostalgic indeed, I'm most impressed, even though I'm 110% biased. 

• Like 1

It's fine; it's just a wrinkled polythene cover.

Just to let you know that the packaging was absolutely fine inside.

Box2.jpg

And another boring photo.

APT-E_plank_2s.jpg

I couldn't find the certificate at first but it's in with the consignment note on the exterior of the box it arrives in (thanks Sandra!). I had hoped to bag #1 but the museum must have nabbed that so it's now known as #2.

Certificate_s.jpg

• Like 11

It's fine; it's just a wrinkled polythene cover.

No, it's not JUST a wrinkled polythene cover - it's a vital part of the package - you need to keep it pristine for selling!!

Edit:

I see from your later post that you've already removed the polythene cover - how will you sell it on e-Bay as 'New' now?

PS I haven't bought one, at 50 I'm slightly too young to remember it, but it does look good!

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Gold

No, it's not JUST a wrinkled polythene cover - it's a vital part of the package - you need to keep it pristine for selling!!

Yes. It's ruined now.

But I'll do you a favour and take if off your hands for twenty quid.