The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

This has to be the most boring Uk railway model ever.  I saw the real one at Shildon about this time last year, and the prototype model running on the club layout there at the same time.  It was boring then, and having seen the production model at Alley Pally yesterday nothing makes me change my mind.  Its still boring.  It looks like a long silver banana !

I'm sorry, but I think you've all been taken in by all the hype on here.

Thank you for your opinion. It is duly ignored.

• Like 1

I'm sure the Rapido team will take on board your comments and not bother in future. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is one occasion I will openly say this.

If you have nothing useful to say, then say nothing at all.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

This has to be the most boring Uk railway model ever.  I saw the real one at Shildon about this time last year, and the prototype model running on the club layout there at the same time.  It was boring then, and having seen the production model at Alley Pally yesterday nothing makes me change my mind.  Its still boring.  It looks like a long silver banana !

maybe it is just envy

i hear the ladies like long silver bananas

maybe sour grapes that you missed the boat and will not be able to impress the ladies with yours?

maybe it is just envy

i hear the ladies like long silver bananas

maybe sour grapes that you missed the boat and will not be able to impress the ladies with yours?

you would need a different sound chip for that 

Regards Arran

There is always someone on this forum who doesnt like it if people are happy on a thread and like to stir things with their negativity.

I don't care for certain locos or stock but I don't go in to those threads and criticise people for being happy with a product! I'm genuinely happy for them to have something they want. In fact I don't even read the thread if it's not something I'm interested in as there is no point!

Well there's where opinions differ, I think it's very worthwhile pointing out the ridiculousness of all the hype in this thread.  The tale of the 'kings new clothes' comes to mind.

What on earth are you talking about? Or would you rather another GWR 4-6-0?

Shane

• Like 1

Well there's where opinions differ, I think it's very worthwhile pointing out the ridiculousness of all the hype in this thread.  The tale of the 'kings new clothes' comes to mind. 

The APT fits my modeling perfectly

I model the one off, failures and never built of this world.

Some how i feel the rejected, missed opportunites and ugly ducklings deserve their time in the limelight so give me APT, give me fury, give me The Duke, W! and Great Bear. The Fowler pacific etc.

I therefore have ordered one. If you don't like it, great, less compertition for me when i bid on e bay for the ones that will never be a comercial proposition.

I wish you well in the modelling that you do like.

Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 1

I've nothing against Rapido, they're just a commercial organisation making a profit. It's all the hype that I find unnecessary. Is it really worthwhile knowing that someone's paid their deposit 6 months ago, but will sending the balance in 2 days time. Or that you've got number 36 in the order queue, or that a particular version will be arriving at the docks but another shipment will come by plane.

The Hattons/DJM King thread is going the same way, and a prototype version of that hasn't even been seen yet. Some there, have announced that they've got 6 of those on order (at somewhere near 200 quid each), do we really care. And how is that squared against all the complaints about people not being able to afford Bachmann's latest price rises.

But that's what a lot of RMweb is about. People are sharing their excitement, enthusiasm and antipicipation. You don't have to read the topic as it is clear you are not interested in the APT-E. Some may call your comments trolling as it offers nothing but leaves a bitter taste. Stick to WC cab widths if that makes you happy. You have added nothing to this topic.

Shane.

Edited by Wolf27

What on earth are you talking about? Or would you rather another GWR 4-6-0?

Shane

No I havn't got any and don't want any GWR 4-6-0s. They don't fit my modelling. The Tale of the Kings New Clothes is a Hans Christian Anderson short story (also a Danny Kaye song), that could maybe be summed up by the expression 'theres none so blind that those who cannot see'

Which means what exactly? I fail to see how your smart reference has any relevance to the APT. I think you have been fed enough now so I done with this and I politely suggest you move on.

Cheers

Shane

But that's what a lot of RMweb is about. People are sharing their excitement, enthusiasm and antipicipation. You don't have to read the topic as it is clear you are not interested in the APT-E. Some may call your comments trolling as it offers nothing but leaves a bitter taste.

Well that's where they'd be wrong. It's not trolling to say that a model's boring.

No I havn't got any and don't want any GWR 4-6-0s. They don't fit my modelling. The Tale of the Kings New Clothes is a Hans Christian Anderson short story (also a Danny Kaye song), that could maybe be summed up by the expression 'theres none so blind that those who cannot see'

Well, I'd like a Saint, please.

• Like 2

Which means what exactly? I fail to see how your smart reference has any relevance to the APT. I think you have been fed enough now so I done with this and I politely suggest you move on.

Cheers

Shane

It means that people cannot see the ridiculousness of all the hype.

Guest spet0114

Well that's where they'd be wrong. It's not trolling to say that a model's boring.

Actually, trolling is exactly what it is. You're taking a subjective opinion (that you find a particular subject boring) and attempting to provoke a discussion that inherently can never lead anywhere - it's highly unlikely that any amount of reasoned debate would change your mind on this point as your response to the APT model is an emotional one rather than a rational one.

As others have said, if you find a subject boring, simply refrain from reading or posting in the relevant threads.

FInally, your 'emperors new clothes' analogy is flawed. All that has been claimed about the APT model (level of detail, quality of running, fidelity of sound capability etc etc), has been proven or demonstrated along the way. There has been very little 'hype' as you term it.

He won't give up folks so best to ignore.

Moving on...

I've been wanting a model APT-E since I was a kid and even carved myself a crude model out of balsa and fitted a couple of coach bogies to it. It didn't tilt, it didn't have lights or make a noise, in fact it was terrible but I was only about 10 at the time so I did my best and I loved it. It didn't last long before it fell apart but 38 or so years later I'm still excited about a train I loved as a kid and I'm looking forward to mine arriving in the post in a few weeks :) I'm also pleased that there are so many like minded APT-E enthusiasts on here. I don't care what my number is, I don't care where I am in the queue but I know others like to know. I'll just be happy to finally own the train I loved as so futuristic as a kid!

• Like 3

My sentiments exactly John.

My first attempt at modelling this was in 1985 which was an absolute failure but undeterred I made another attempt in 1997 which got a bit further with a bit more success, pics are on my PoP train thread and way back in this one. Still never finished it though as the third attempt was planned in 2010 which I am still going to build, just because I can. The APT-E is an icon and deserved to be produced as a well detail, well performing and undoubtedly popular.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

Hi Coombe Martin, I understand the model may not be to your liking, but you don't tell us what model you may be interested in been produced.

For me I can see 2 current locos I want to buy...a Heljan class 16 and this APT.

For once I used my common sense and pre ordered the APT...unlike the first run of the Blue Pullman when I left it too late.

There are many models I find boring....so at shows I never look or while shopping I never buy one...its a free world.

Tell us what you would like to see produced

Hi Coombe Martin, I understand the model may not be to your liking, but you don't tell us what model you may be interested in been produced.

For me I can see 2 current locos I want to buy...a Heljan class 16 and this APT.

For once I used my common sense and pre ordered the APT...unlike the first run of the Blue Pullman when I left it too late.

There are many models I find boring....so at shows I never look or while shopping I never buy one...its a free world.

Tell us what you would like to see produced

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said it was boring, and I didn't say that this whole subject was boring, but that the model was boring, and I meant boring to look at, and I havn't ignored it I have looked at it. To me it looks like a long silver tube, and it still does. The subject thread itself has at times been quite interesting, in particular the efforts that buyers will have to go to, to be able to run it without accidents. I havn't aimed any personal insults at anyone or spread any lies about anyone, or said anything nasty about anyone, but does it really matter that someones paid their deposit, or that its coming by boat or plane.

And, as you ask, Id quite like Hornby to produce their rebuilt West Country but with the re-bodied tender. Or, for a completely new model, maybe some Bullied coaches up to current standards. Thanks for asking without insulting me.

You don't HAVE to read this thread, you could be reading about something REALLY interesting elsewhere, like whether Bachman's latest GWR 4-6-0 has the correct number of rivets in its firebox moulding.

Not that I have the faintest idea what a 'firebox' is anyway............

• Like 3

You don't HAVE to read this thread, you could be reading about something REALLY interesting elsewhere, like whether Bachman's latest GWR 4-6-0 has the correct number of rivets in its firebox moulding.

Not that I have the faintest idea what a 'firebox' is anyway............

I read this thread because I'm interested in the engineering and how the problems are solved. But I stand by what I said about it's looks. And I'm not bothered by GWR 4-6-0s.

• RMweb Gold

It is a howling shame that this thread has degenerated into the mother of a hissy fit. A lot of talented people have invested a great deal of their time effort and energy into this project,including one retired professional who was instrumental  in developing the prototype for BR in the 1970's. Introducing a sour and frankly petulant observation is akin the throwing a bucket of cold water over the many involved in two years of hard work and financial investment. Free speech and candid opinion  are naturally to be cherished but if such spills over into self indulgence causing hurt to others,then we rightly stand accused of abusing such privelege.

There are many people or things in life I find displeasing. The simple and appropriate way of dealing with such is to remain silent and walk away. No,I won't be buying the APT-E but I am looking forward to seeing it next weekend at York. Bravo to all involved with it.

• Like 3