The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Just a couple of questions (admittedly I haven't the time at the moment to research properly).....

Will this run as individual cars, power cars coupled, power cars and test coach only? Or does it have to be coupled as a 4+ car set?

Is there a maximum number of orders that can be placed before the April deadline, or will every order placed be honoured?

I have absolutely no use for this model, I'm building a small depot layout based in Liverpool. But seeing such an iconic piece of British engineering produced in 4mm scale, with so many working parts (the tilt system is something I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing!) and for such a great price has got me really tempted. The sound version sat idling while some slow action solenoids 'test' the tilt mechanism in the depot is just too tempting!!

Best of luck with this project, it sounds fascinating.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

APT-E - whoever would've guessed that?

:sungum:

Very interesting that alot of people seem to be thinking of a new layout to accommodate the APT-E so its good news all round for the hobby in general.

I've already started building a layout based upon the RTC, but in the present day. This is the excuse I need to backdate it........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Very pleased with the chosen prototype, I couldn't resist ordering the DCC sound version and have done so, but I am a tad disappointed to learn that the £49.99 for the separate trailer car requires payment up front. Maybe looking at closer to the deadline for ordering that one - can't wait to see a prototype model at Warley. 

Now there's just the dilemma of rebuild, reprofile and repaint my APT-P, or wait to see if Bachmann or Rapido do one in the next three or four years.......

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having read the e-mail newsletter I find it refreshing to find a manufacturer stating a clear time-scale for the model.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/aptschedule.html

Some uk models from other manufacturers seem to have been in the pipeline for years. I think Rapido (along with DJmodels and Realtrack etc) will be good for the hobby and perhaps give the status quo a bit of a boot up the rear!

Been following this with great interest over the past few months.  I've ordered one even though its out of my era by about 12 years!

Having seen the quality of previous Rapido models I'm very much looking forward to this one.  I wish Rapido every success with this new venture and hope it brings future UK models.

• Like 1

I think (and am happy to be corrected) it only ran as a 4 car set.

Mark

It also ran as a 3-car leaving TC1 in the RTC for static testing on several occasions.

Anyone do a model of Kit Spackman in 4mm?

A

It was discussed today and it's referenced in a video I should have done by the end of the week featuring Jason, Kit and the APT-E preservation group which gets into some nitty-gritty about the model along with memories and motivations.

• Like 3

I have ordered the all bells and whistles DCC sound APT-E. Thanks for offering this in the first run.

I think for the quality being proposed the price is correct .

I could not find anything on Locomotions website about pay all now and get free postage.... But hey, I,ll let Locomotion clarify that option.

I hope orders meet or exceed expectations because I bet there would be delays if they do not.

And to all those who want to wait to see one in the flesh before buying.... Be careful, remember the Bluebell C class.

If we want to gaurantee the price then we need to gaurantee the order.

Finally WHAT A GREAT INTRODUCTION TO THE UK MARKET

(don,t forget the dust behind the buffers and round axle boxes)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That'll be a world first, then.

On this APT-E yes, by Rapido, no.  They laser scanned the FPA-4 at Exporail in Montreal a couple of years ago to get the contours of the nose on it right as well.  You can read about that one here: http://www.rapidotrains.com/scan.html

-Stephen

Possibly an irony deficiency?.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear.....heart says yes but brain says no.

Brain.....Got till April next year to consider if I want/need one.

Heart.....Always wanted a model of it since seeing it ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMING a few times on the MR mainline undergoing test and once going slowly through Bedfird Midland Road station.

Oh dear what do I do?

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that it was great to get the chance to day to meet and talk with several RM WEB members today at Locomotion. The launch event went extremely well, Jason and I are tremendously encouraged by the response! We're also extremely tired....!

Thanks also to the NRM/Locomotion staff and APT-E Support Group for their efforts in making this a very successful day. 

Wait until you see the video....  :mosking:  

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 7

A good point although just to put the record completely straight I also made a specific exception for museums when it came to the matter of deposits as I consider their approach (and giving them the money) to be in a rather different category.

However having said that I do tend to agree with your point that a deposit may well put off some people although overall I bet it will still sell like those proverbial hot cakes because of the iconic nature of the prototype and the quality of the model itself.

I placed an order today, and it is Locomotion which takes the deposit and provides the receipt, not Rapido. I would think it is an essential safeguard for the museum.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

3) Waiting until the exchange rates are in your favour is very risky. These rates change due to a number of factors, any and all beyond your control and mostly not in your favour anyway :P

Which is why you talk to your bank and get various foreign exchange forward contracts, that fix the exchange rate for you.

Guest CPRAIL3000

Very nice.

Right Jason get back in that Voyager with your scanner and visit the Severn Valley Railway.  Class 50026 is running this week and once you hear and see this you will give up on those old MLW/Alcos!!

Seriously a Class 50 done correctly to Rapido Standard would be great.

• RMweb Gold

For those in doubt:

1) Rapido is a batch-manufacturer: once out of stock, it'll be a fair while :rolleyes: before a new series is commissioned...

2) If not enough orders are in, the model isn't forthcoming. Period...

3) Waiting until the exchange rates are in your favour is very risky. These rates change due to a number of factors, any and all beyond your control and mostly not in your favour anyway :P

As I don't model 00 gauge, I won't buy one. However, Rapido is to be commended for this step, a leap of faith really, into an unknown market :yes:

Slightly different in this case I think.  The model is an NRM Exclusive being produced for them by Rapido and there is no indication that production won't take place if there are insufficient orders (although possibly the fifth coach might  come into that category but the NRM have not said so - it could well become the most 'collectible' item for those so inclined).

We simply do not know the commercial arrangement between Rapido and the NRM although the NRM website says 'produced to order only' and that is a clear incentive to place an order to ensure getting one.  As far as the rest of any commercial arrangement is concerned that is down to the contracting parties and in this case of little concern to us - we have a  quoted price, a manufacturer of known provenance, and the NRM 'Exclusive' tag which has also established - in my view - its own hallmark for quality and standards through the Bachmann models sold under that heading.  But the leap of faith as you describe is perhaps not just down to Rapido but also to the NRM for the way, whatever it may be, in which they have become involved in the project so we should be hoping it goes well for both of them.

And if it does go well maybe there will be future co-operation between them under that same 'NRM Exclusive' banner - after all that was rather an iconic engine Jason and Bill were sitting under the other day.  And I'm sure the National Collection could offer some other very tempting 'targets' for further joint ventures - as long as this one goes as well as it deserves to.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it going to look out of place on my GE branch line?

Don't need one, wrong period, never ran round 'ere - BUT, it sounds like it might go round the curve into the fiddle yard...

Have to think about it, head is laughing itself silly, the heart is remembering the one time I saw it in motion - I'll think about it for a bit but......

Very nice.

Right Jason get back in that Voyager with your scanner and visit the Severn Valley Railway.  Class 50026 is running this week and once you hear and see this you will give up on those old MLW/Alcos!!

Seriously a Class 50 done correctly to Rapido Standard would be great.

But Jason is already very familiar with the class 50, per this picture of him in the cab - http://rapidotrains.com/rapidonews55.html#anchor10