Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

One of my earliest railway memories is as follows, pre school, Gloucester Eastgate EITHER my dad going away for a year or coming back (RAF wnet to Sharja). Maroon and Blue grey coaches, pulled by 90% sure green, 100% sure Warship.

I didn't know what a Warship was until years later. Just remembered bulbose front.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm not daft, my sister is daft, I'm an aeroplane.

Mike.

A bloke went into a pub and asked for a packet of helicopter-flavoured crisps.

"Sorry, we only have plain".

I thank you.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Have you seen what Paul 5barVT is up to?

As you were showing such interest in my sign over on my thread I thought about adding it here for general education purposes, but I see that you have beaten me to it.

Well Done!

Paul.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have just had a nice few minutes running trains.

Hi Clive,

Now I'm confused, what has running trains got to do with RMweb ?

To better fit in on RMweb shouldn't you be perhaps doing something more along these lines:

• Panicking over Covid.
  • Complaining bitterly about piffling details on the retooled Hejan 86, especially what shade of electric blue it should be.
  • Claiming victim status over something that has nothing whatsoever to do with you.
  • Ogling (apologies, appreciating) Japanese girl bands.
  • Having a sense of humour failure in a politically correct sort of way.
  • Cutting up an over supply of perfectly good Mk1 composites to make coaches that would be more useful, (borderline subject for this actually involves making a model).
  • Having a hissy fit over some sort of Trump Derangement Syndrome carry on.
  • Wondering why BoJo wants to build the "New Jerusalem", who-what-where-when-why is that all about?!?!?!
  • Opening yet another thread about what the exact shade of BR* Locomotive Green is.
  • Submitting the accounts of the swear box to the HMRC for audit.
  • Blaming the Pусские for absolutely everything including Heljan's shade of electric blue on the class 86.

*10p in the swear box avoidance tactic.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

:banghead::banghead:But AM6s were never ever electric blue, they were always corporate blue. Brian Haresnape mentioned in a 1965 edition of Modern Railways the new class of electric locos were being painted in the NEW British Rail  blue. He might have know as he worked for the BR design panel. :banghead::banghead::blackeye:

I have stopped panicking about COVID, if I catch it no matter what the outcome, even the worse possible scenario, what will be will be. My fear is having it and while symptom free passing it on to someone else. So to protect others I am protecting myself...no panic just common sense.

As for Swindon green it all depended on the wife of the geezer who mixed the paint, as recalled by David Jenkinson in Backtrack. If the night before was a bit romantic the paint ingredients were carefully measured, and if she nagged him before he left for work they were just thrown in. Hornby seemed to have been able to replicate the days when the poor fellow had to make his own sandwiches. :read:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
Forgot Band Maid
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:banghead::banghead:But AM6s were never ever electric blue, they were always corporate blue. Brian Haresnape mentioned in a 1965 edition of Modern Railways the new class of electric locos were being painted in the NEW British Rail  blue. He might have know as he worked for the BR design panel. :banghead::banghead::blackeye:

I have stopped panicking about COVID, if I catch it no matter what the outcome, even the worse possible scenario, what will be will be. My fear is having it and while symptom free passing it on to someone else. So to protect others I am protecting myself...no panic just common sense.

As for Swindon green it all depended on the wife of the geezer who mixed the paint, as recalled by David Jenkinson in Backtrack. If the night before was a bit romantic the paint ingredients were carefully measured, and if she nagged him before he left for work they were just thrown in. Hornby seemed to have been able to replicate the days when the poor fellow had to make his own sandwiches. :read:

Hi Clive,

From left to right, early electric blue, late electric blue and BR blue:

MoreBlues.jpg.5d45192323b5f66fcd5c815f7fb93bee.jpg.1fee5ba301b6570c061f2e4ef1d40ec9.jpg

AL1-5 were delivered in early electric blue with and latterly repainted into the late electric blue the AL6's were delivered in late electric blue which being close to BR blue is no doubt where all the confusion arises about BR blue.

Brian Haresnape was obviously working alonside Guy Burgess, Kim Philby and Donald Maclean at the design panel, I blame the Pусские for this it is Kremlin plot !!!!

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

Hang on a minute. Are we talking at crossed purposes!!!! Clive states AM6 and Gibbo replies AL6. Which one are we on about? 

Paul

Currently 132 feet lower than the highest part of the ECML.

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Additional information

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And what have the Russians done wrong this time?

Hi Clive, 

I doubt that even the evil genius of Putin could possibly have dreamt up such a subversive thread:

It would seam that we Exchanger's have nothing to fear regarding our sanity after all,

Gibbo.

1 minute ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Hang on a minute. Are we talking at crossed purposes!!!! Clive states AM6 and Gibbo replies AL6. Which one are we on about? 

Paul

Hi Paul,

Always read the small print:

"If you see a spelling mistake in my post PM me it is less embarrassing."

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Small print?  What @&£))(;? small print. As for paint, just because the design panel have made a choice doesn’t mean the individual painting the relevant item has a clue its changed. They’ll just carry on until they run out of stock.

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Small print?  What @&£))(;? small print. As for paint, just because the design panel have made a choice doesn’t mean the individual painting the relevant item has a clue its changed. They’ll just carry on until they run out of stock.

Paul

Hi Paul

In the early 60s ICI came up with a blue paint that didn't fade (well not as much as other blue paints).

Which company did the good Doctor work for before imposing Rail Blue on everything?

Did ICI have bucket loads of blue paint it couldn't sell?

Or was the good Doctor making sure he had a decent pension pot from divi off his shares in ICI?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

In the early 60s ICI came up with a blue paint that didn't fade (well not as much as other blue paints).

Which company did the good Doctor work for before imposing Rail Blue on everything?

Or was the good Doctor making sure he had a decent pension pot from divi off his shares in ICI?

You little conspiracy theorist you!

Mike.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, great central said:

Since this thread often seems to gravitate towards girl bands I found this on YouTube. 

Absolutely awesome cover:sungum:

One of the better covers of that track I've heard in a while (and the Bassist is certainly better looking than Ginger Baker).

Someone should tell them though that "Crossroads" is by Robert Johnson, everything else is a cover version (including Cream).

I've had this as an earworm today after hearing it on R2 yesterday:

Just occasionally in the 1980s, Europop could turn up something with really good lyrics despite being written in a second language..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

Apparently the blue paint on the old Caledonian used to fade terribly. The story got around that the drivers were responsible for the cost of painting their own engines so being canny Scots they tended to thin it down quite a lot. Can’t find where I read that. It might have been The Lighted Flame by Norman McKillop. Not dead sure if it was true though. :huh:.

The old Caledonian locos still looked great compared to the soul-leckys though. :protest:.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

One of the better covers of that track I've heard in a while (and the Bassist is certainly better looking than Ginger Baker).

Someone should tell them though that "Crossroads" is by Robert Johnson, everything else is a cover version (including Cream).

I've had this as an earworm today after hearing it on R2 yesterday:

Just occasionally in the 1980s, Europop could turn up something with really good lyrics despite being written in a second language..

Hi Northmoor,

I haven't heard that in ages, fab !

I've been applying transfers to class 25 No. 5184 to this earlier:

Gibbo.

• Like 3