Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

My internet went off on Tuesday, I looked up at the hub and through the window caught sight of a chappy up the distribution pole at the back of our garage. The 'net came and went a few times and not being able to see the chap up the pole anymore I went for a wander to see if they were at the cabinet, instead I found an Openreach van outside the garage doors and poor chap looking at a metal box a few inches tall buried in long grass. Apparently the cable that feeds that box is corroded to hell and every time he touched one pair another broke!

I gave up and went to @Taigatrommel's to help him with his layout wiring instead. Glad to say that when I got back home much later that evening the 'net was working again.

Andi

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

My internet went off on Tuesday, I looked up at the hub and through the window caught sight of a chappy up the distribution pole at the back of our garage. The 'net came and went a few times and not being able to see the chap up the pole anymore I went for a wander to see if they were at the cabinet, instead I found an Openreach van outside the garage doors and poor chap looking at a metal box a few inches tall buried in long grass. Apparently the cable that feeds that box is corroded to hell and every time he touched one pair another broke!

I gave up and went to @Taigatrommel's to help him with his layout wiring instead. Glad to say that when I got back home much later that evening the 'net was working again.

Andi

Hi

That happened to us a few years ago apparently they are told to sweep out the boxes when they are up there doing work. The copper cable becomes corroded and then breaks when they clean the box out.

Luckily I saw the engineer up the pole when ours went off and he fixed it in five minutes. It would have been days no doubt if I had to report it via my ISP.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Jazzer

I will have to look up when the Tilbury loop was electrocuted, all I know the MR coaches were withdrawn in 1961 when they were surplus to requirements. 

Hi Clive,

Just to clarify,  as far as I know ,  the whole system was supposed to have the power on from November 1961, but I’ve done some checking to confirm my memory. According to the Shed Bash UK website , Plaistow and Tilbury sheds were both finally closed on the 18th June 1962.  There were 33 locos recorded at Plaistow on 13th May 1962 . Apparently the AM2’s suffered traction motor insulation problems between November 61 and June 1962 , so putting 2and 2 together it might well have been the case that steam continued over the Tilbury loop until June 1963 because there were not enough AM 2’s to run a full service, although that is just my guess.

However once the AM2’s came on the full service they were limited to 8coaches on the Tilbury loop because of platform lengths, so we can deduce from that , that 11 and 13 coach trains you refer to wouldn’t be running through Tilbury so the 7 Coach set you are intending to build remains a fairly typical LTSR train.
I’m not quite sure how they would have finished up in Sheffield though.:)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Just now, jazzer said:

Hi Clive,

Just to clarify,  as far as I know ,  the whole system was supposed to have the power on from November 1961, but I’ve done some checking to confirm my memory. According to the Shed Bash UK website , Plaistow and Tilbury sheds were both finally closed on the 18th June 1962.  There were 33 locos recorded at Plaistow on 13th May 1962 . Apparently the AM2’s suffered traction motor insulation problems between November 61 and June 1962 , so putting 2and 2 together it might well have been the case that steam continued over the Tilbury loop until June 1963 because there were not enough AM 2’s to run a full service, although that is just my guess.

However once the AM2’s came on the full service they were limited to 8coaches on the Tilbury loop because of platform lengths, so we can deduce from that , that 11 and 13 coach trains you refer to wouldn’t be running through Tilbury so the 7 Coach set you are intending to build remains a fairly typical LTSR train.
I’m not quite sure how they would have finished up in Sheffield though.:)

Sorry I meant the sheds closed in June ‘62

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Eric

I have just taken delivery of 9 more Airfix coaches, 9 more coaches awaiting plastic surgery.  :whistle:

I've had half-a-dozen of those for years. With flush glazing and a repaint they scrub up quite well.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No work on the LTSR train but I did do the major cutting a shutting on another train. A LMS push-pull set, when I built the two BCKs the van portion came from two Brake Second Lavatory coaches, so they have become the Second. The spare compartment has replaced the loo in a third BSL to make the Driving Brake Second.

Now building these two has caused me some problems. When planning the LTSR train I worked out how many roofs and bogies I needed. Then I had the idea of making the push-pull train, forgetting I had already accounted for their bogies and roofs. This has left me 4 bogies and 2 roofs short. I have two brake tenders with LMS bogies so should be OK there as there is no need for 10 brake tenders at a passenger station. And I found some bits of cut up Airfix coach roofs from previous cut and shut jobies so hopefully OK on that front.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just for a changer from all those coaches, here is a DMU question for all you cut and shut experts:-

For good reason, I have ended up changing my WR layout location from the mainline around Maidenhead to the GW & GC around High Wycombe. As a result, i need some class 115s for the Marylebone services.

Now, due to the change I have too many 117s for my needs.

So my thought was to use the 117s as 115s, but I need to change the 3 car formations to 4 car. 

Any suggestions as to how to easily portray the TCs (ie without toilets) which look different to those with toilets?

Short term I only need two sets and might just run sets with two toileted trailers!

I do however have a number of toileted trailers that can be cut and shut.

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks

Paul 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Just for a changer from all those coaches, here is a DMU question for all you cut and shut experts:-

For good reason, I have ended up changing my WR layout location from the mainline around Maidenhead to the GW & GC around High Wycombe. As a result, i need some class 115s for the Marylebone services.

So my thought was to use the 117s as 115s, but I need to change the 3 car formations to 4 car. 

Any suggestions as to how to easily portray the TCs (ie without toilets) which look different to those with toilets?

Short term I only need two sets and might just run sets with two toileted trailers!

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks

Paul 

Will take 3 power cars and 3 trailers minimum I have made a couple of different TSs  one was a 115/127 type. Other 116. TCL is slighty different to 117/118 design.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks

Paul 

Hi Paul

I have done similar conversions for my 127 and twice for my 125. My 116 has the same as the second go of the 125.

The 127 I made the toilet compartment into a seating bay. Lima made the seating bays too long by a 1/4mm which makes the toilet too small.

100_5907a.jpg.d28933cbdfc5860cdc46e7fe7864b3a9.jpg

If you are prepared to have a smaller bay, it doesn't show too much. Model is well over 35 years old.

The first attempt of for the 125 I added an additional seating bay, rearranging the window formations. The end result meant the coach was 2mm too long, so I had to add a small amount of spare roof and plastic card to the lengthened chassis.

008a.jpg.27f5fd10a16834713f7b2d67a16f88d3.jpg

Again if you can live with an extra 2mm long coach, it doesn't look too bad.

The second go was copied from Brian Kirby. Each seating bay is cut out at the same side of the door and a 1/4mm taken from the other side. Then reassemble in the new order.

100_5833a.jpg.281cdbd4e4f35ecdb6c7996339937130.jpg

The 125 second go.

100_5831a.jpg.aaa1c50ccbaf70487093e250b016785d.jpg

The interior support need if you go down the cutting each seating bay out.

100_5895a.jpg.417a05dd160f82e48c256acb546231e5.jpg

116 TC.

This is harder to do but it does end with a coach the right length, I cannot see the missing 1/4mm from each seating bay.

I hope this helps.

Remember a 115 has an extra seating bay in each DMBS.

Who will be the first cut and shut a bachy 117?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Need to practice on some Lima first!

But all of that comes after I have built the extended layout, so a loooooong wait yet.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Who will be first? Someone with more cash than me lol

It would be like a reverse kit car build for most of us.  Instead of taking a regular family car and making it look like a Ferrari, this would be like buying a Ferrari 355 and modifying the body so it looks like a Morris Marina.

• Funny 4

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

116 TC.

This is harder to do but it does end with a coach the right length, I cannot see the missing 1/4mm from each seating bay.

I hope this helps.

Remember a 115 has an extra seating bay in each DMBS.

Thanks Clive,

I had wondered about the "cheat" of just converting the loo to a seating bay!

Your photo looks ok, so think I might do one and see how it looks in the formation.

I had forgotten about the extra seating bay in the class 115 DMBS, so I think to start with I will ignore the fact!!

Later I might have a go at your second version. Unfortunately I think your 1/4 mm of each bay is beyond my skills so, I think that is a non starter.

In my GW & GC layout I can use my new bachy 117 on the GW side. Fortunately I have managed to acquire several cut and shut ii7 DMs so i can use them on the Marylebone trains.

Best regards

Paul 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MJI said:

Will take 3 power cars and 3 trailers minimum I have made a couple of different TSs  one was a 115/127 type. Other 116. TCL is slighty different to 117/118 design.

116 trailer here

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

It would be like a reverse kit car build for most of us.  Instead of taking a regular family car and making it look like a Ferrari, this would be like buying a Ferrari 355 and modifying the body so it looks like a Morris Marina.

Hi Northmoor,

I did it to a Ducati, but then I'm crackers* !

DSCF0812.JPG.a4c028dc8f2f0346831083adb6304ef8.JPG

* As if you need telling.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Northmoor,

I did it to a Ducati, but then I'm crackers* !

DSCF0812.JPG.a4c028dc8f2f0346831083adb6304ef8.JPG

* As if you need telling.

Gibbo.

I am out of touch with such things these days but where did the frame and petrol tank come from.? From this angle it    looks like girder forks on the front Surely not but could we have a pic of them?

A very strange looking bike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I am out of touch with such things these days but where did the frame and petrol tank come from.? From this angle it    looks like girder forks on the front Surely not but could we have a pic of them?

A very strange looking bike.

Hi Jazzer,

It is a cut and shut !

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jazzer,

It is a cut and shut !

Gibbo.

I'm going to guess at:

- 916 tank

- modified Monster frame

- engine from 907 or older

- saddle from the vicar's bicycle

- front end frame from a very clever engineer indeed

I'm after a 600 Monster myself, just need to clear the Trophy out of the garage to make room.

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm going to guess at:

- 916 tank

- modified Monster frame

- engine from 907 or older

- saddle from the vicar's bicycle

- front end frame from a very clever engineer indeed

I'm after a 600 Monster myself, just need to clear the Trophy out of the garage to make room.

Hi Northmoor,

It was built form a Ducati 600ss, PM sent with photos.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Been driving trains tonight for the first time in ages, not to many operator errors.

No modelling for the past few days.

Here is the Push-Pull train I made from left over coach bodies form other projects.

001.jpg.285dbb6e1f661abece940aecef05a6be.jpg

Not too sure if the Ivatt is a motor fitted one, more and likely not to be but helps give the illusion. One of my early railway memories is traveling on a Push-Pull steam train to Northampton. Very disappointed with Northampton, it wasn't like Southampton where I had been a few weeks before........no ships.

002.jpg.e34d805c603f17f501f18f3d7e8b60ec.jpg

The Driving Trailer Second Brake. The duckets have been removed and another compartment added to a Airfix/Dapol BSL.

003.jpg.1cc42441daaf4de15f504cb94d798c69.jpg

Trailer Second, looks no different from an all Second. In real life it had the pipe work for the control gear otherwise it was an all Second. This is made from the compartment ends of two BSLs, the van bit was donated to the two BCKs I recently put together after chopping some decent coaches apart.

I think there were more DTBS coupled to Trailer Composites than a train made up of all seconds.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Very disappointed with Northampton, it wasn't like Southampton where I had been a few weeks before........no ships

Northampton does have a lighthouse though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/heritage/england/northants/article_1.shtml

https://www.nationallifttower.net/

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1