Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

:sungum:

Good job it wasn't an 11 coach Voyager mate, haha :no: :scared: :scared:

Stop being mean to Mr Mortimore (proper form if address as I don't feel I know him well enough yet). Anyway you can't get 11 coach Voyagers, they only come as 4 or 5 coach units :P Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Premium

Is that a painted over Mercedes badge above the yellow panel on the one nearest the camera ?

Oh it does look like a leach bite mark. It is a folded down headcode disc, that looks better in the flesh than the photographic reproduction due to the flash light on the camera.

As for my comment about a leach bite mark, as a nurse I worked in plastic surgery and there were times we needed to use leaches to remove the blood from say a replanted finger in the first few days until the veins had reconnected. The surgeons using micro-surgery are able to reconnect the arteries in a finger but the veins are far to delicate. So blood can get in but not out. They leave a divot which hopefully will bleed to remove the blood with no more oxygen, and nutrients for the finger. If that doesn't work as well as expected then the night staff have to sit all night watching a leach sucking all the naff blood out. Thankfully the human body is really good at fixing itself and the veins that were cut in half by the person when they cut their finger off do reconnect themselves after about five to seven days. Back to our friend the leach, his bite mark looks like a Mercedes badge.  Circular divided into three segments.

post-16423-0-64398800-1548503519.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

29) Driver shortage

30) industrial action

31) wrong type of leaves on the line

32) wrong type of snow

33) delayed/overrunning engineering works

34) new timetable/introduction of new services

There are probably a few more needed :)

Have you seen the thread questioning is 28 functions on DCC enough? :scratchhead:

Thankfully all I ask of my trains is to go forwards and backwards, to go slower and faster and not fall off the tracks. I don't believe the last one is a DCC function as I have seen it happen on DCC layouts as well as my own. :no:

"Brummmm Brummmm Brummmm" ........."Chuffff Chuffff Chuffff" ......."Burrrr Burr", you are lucky the guard has lost his the pea in his whistle so can only wave his green flag. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

29) Driver shortage

30) industrial action

31) wrong type of leaves on the line

32) wrong type of snow

33) delayed/overrunning engineering works

34) new timetable/introduction of new services

There are probably a few more needed :)

So what is wrong with putting your hand over your mouth to make those lo-fi station announcements that no one can understand.

You forgot the change of platform announcement, "Please could all passengers queueing at platform 4 for the 11: 25 to Leeds move to platform 6 as the train will be departing from platform 6. That includes the fat bald bloke who is standing there looking lost".

• Like 1

Change of platform is a must :) causes mass panic!

Overshooting a station is also always a good one- many years ago when the 365’s were absolutely flying between Kings Cross and Cambridge I remember Royston being missed...twice.

I’m in the DC camp-thanks for the wiring tips btw. It’s almost fully wired but flu has put a stop to any progress atm

Edited by danstercivicman

• RMweb Premium

The change of platform announcement with its follow on came from a program in 70s about Waterloo station where they interviewed the ladies who did the announcements. One of them had left the mike on when she said about the bloke looking lost. She went on to say "Five minutes later he was still standing there looking lost and I wanted to open the mike up again to help him."

Looks I can't gloat anymore, the North British Type 4 2,200hp A1A-A1A Diesel Hydraulic "Warship Class" are on the high seas and heading this way.....there will be a lot of excited modellers whose lives will now be complete. I don't think there has ever been an announcement of model where from the day it was announced to delivery has taken longer than the things were in service. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

I console myself that I missed an announcement, and this is probably what has happened to the 4mm scale RTR B16. 

• Like 1

A little late but another picture of the D600 Warships, D602 Bulldog at Louville Lane, it's a Silver Fox body. When I bought it second hand It had the head code boxes and a Lima Pizza cutter wheeled chassis. I managed to source a Bachmann chassis from a rather broken bodied Class 37 and cut off the head code boxes to back date it to my 63-65 period.

post-7090-0-33198600-1548509473_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I console myself that I missed an announcement, and this is probably what has happened to the 4mm scale RTR B16. 

Ooooo !!!!!!!! A B16/2 or B16/3 would be more than welcomed on Sheffield Exchange. It is in the pipe line as something I need to build and I have a couple of solutions up my sleeve how to proceed now the DJH one is no longer in production and Mr PDK doesn't seem to pick up his phone when I call. 

• Like 1

Two (Bulldog and Cossack) were loaned to South Wales from Laira for a short while (Aug 67 to Nov 67) before they are withdrawn in the hope they would see a longer service life.....they were not as good as a Type 3 D68xx.

The one and only time I saw one was in 1967. It was the blue beast.

I was with Mum and Dad in a 4COR heading out of Victoria to West Worthing. The Warship started to run alongside us on that bit of track where the trains coming out of Waterloo join the Victoria trains just before Clapham Junction.

The sight of a loco I never ever expected to see, trundling by the side of us was marvellous!!!! I assume she was on a west of England train. What was said when see appeared at Waterloo can only be imagined!!!!

I've always had a soft spot for the poor things as well as the 6300 B-Bs and no! not at the bottom of the garden!!!

If the Kernow one runs as well as their Bullied Raworths, it will be worth waiting for!!!

Chris.

Ooooo !!!!!!!! A B16/2 or B16/3 would be more than welcomed on Sheffield Exchange. It is in the pipe line as something I need to build and I have a couple of solutions up my sleeve how to proceed now the DJH one is no longer in production and Mr PDK doesn't seem to pick up his phone when I call.

Mr Mortimore, Sir, if you’re modelling an ex GN/L&Y joint station why do you want an ex NER loco?

Puzzled of Calne

• RMweb Premium

Mr Mortimore, Sir, if you’re modelling an ex GN/L&Y joint station why do you want an ex NER loco?

Puzzled of Calne

Dear Puzzled

The said class of  locomotives, the B16/2 or B16/3 did have a tendency to wander all over the place after nationalisation. They could have been placed on the front of a semi fast train from Leeds, or York or Hull to Sheffield in lieu of the normal B1. Or even where the North Eastern Region had taken over what had been L&YR, LNWR and MR sheds in their area a replacement for the similarly powered Black Five locomotive. Plus they do look quite different, with the drive to the front axle not the middle one as with most 4-6-0s yet appear to be quite modernish looking.

I am not so keen on the B16/1 despite their ability do do the same work as their rebuilt sisters as they do look a tad antiquated compared to the refinements of Sir Nigel and Thomo geezer. 

• RMweb Premium

Having just written that waffle, a B16/2 or B16/3 is a nicety not necessity for my layout. 

If Hornby, Bachmann or Heljan don't make one next year I am never buying anymore of their models. :nono: :butcher: :ireful: :triniti:

I did ask both Ben and Mike from Revoultion when they were going to do my B16, both looked at me as if I was daft as they said "That's a steam engine". So what are they going to do a G*R 56xx in "I can hardly see it" N gauge. :swoon:

I did a bit of work in the shed today, mainly swearing at the indifferent quality of British plastic kits compared to the rather good Walthers I am more used to.  Anyway, some progress being made on assembling a station.

post-238-0-75825100-1548537915_thumb.jpg

I gave a new train a spin and was pleased to see a 4-4-0 manage my complex points with no hesitation.  I must be doing something right, even if I do only use 2 wires...

post-238-0-67854500-1548538022_thumb.jpg

The Ratio Claytons will need some work though, they're a bit arthritic at the moment.

I did some tweaks on the approach roads which eased the stock sidings somewhat - there's room for 15 Mk1s now, and significantly more of the shorter antique coaches.  I aim to get more of these, as they are rather charming, and very much in the spirit of having fun with my model trains.

post-238-0-86900500-1548538185_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-00019200-1548538257_thumb.jpg

Just the crossovers to complete, then it's off round the bend to the staging yard and continuous run.

• Like 3

I did a bit of work in the shed today, mainly swearing at the indifferent quality of British plastic kits compared to the rather good Walthers I am more used to.  Anyway, some progress being made on assembling a station.

attachicon.gif20190126_152052.jpg

I gave a new train a spin and was pleased to see a 4-4-0 manage my complex points with no hesitation.  I must be doing something right, even if I do only use 2 wires...

attachicon.gif20190126_125304.jpg

The Ratio Claytons will need some work though, they're a bit arthritic at the moment.

As far as real Claytons were concerned, an arthritic model is a pretty accurate representation. 

I must agree with you Herr Doctor, it is a shame that British plastic kits are not as good as Walther's kits. The Walther's kits fall together and are very easy to kit bash.

• RMweb Premium

:sungum:

Good job it wasn't an 11 coach Voyager mate, haha :no:  :scared:  :scared:

Now what would I be doing with one of them (what ever one of them is) ?

You two need edumacating.

Voyagers are 4 or 5 car.

Pendolinos are 9 or 11 car...........

• RMweb Premium

Here is one I built earlier. And one I may never ever finish.

attachicon.gif100_5039.JPG

See Kernow D6xx Update

Topic started in Sept 2012 to date

I have also found this earlier topic

Started in June 2010.

The locos entered traffic in January 1958, and the class was withdrawn December 1967.

I pre-ordered mine on 18/9/10.

• RMweb Premium

I pre-ordered mine on 18/9/10.

Hi John

Is yours one of the two versions that have been made :dontknow:

Hopefully Stu will give us an update where the boat is today. :good:

Edit, by the time your model has traveled from China to Kernow and then to Van Diemansland it would have done more miles than the loco it represents.