Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Clive

I know that you are only intending to have scenery up to the bridges but I was wondering if you extended the fuelling point headshunt a little way beyond the far side of the bridge if you would give yourself the opportunity to put two locos between point and bridge thereby being able to reverse the order in which they leave the headshunt.

Sorry if my description is not too good but I hope you'll understand what I mean.

Hi Ray

Thanks, but for the moment I am going to leave things as there are.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I thought the mk4 had tapered ends because BR were looking at developing a tilting bogie for that body shell to create mk5 coaches for the WCML? (All long before privatisation of course!) The taper was needed to keep it within gauge profile when leaning. Mk3 coaches are virtually the same length as mk4 but without the tapering... I may be talking out my 4r5e or course and remembering something different...

Both Mk3s and Mk4s have tapered ends because the bogie centres are (more-or-less) the same as Mk1 and Mk2 to ensure that the centre throw is no greater. Other things being equal, this would result in excessive end throw on the Mk3s and Mk4s. Mk4s taper towards the top of the bodyside to stay within gauge when tilting (which of course, as you say, they don't).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Can steam locos be mentioned on this most-enjoyable and entertaining thread? 

Concerning 'front overhang', many large steam locos had their front footplate/bufferbeam narrower than the rest of the footplate; to reduce any front overhang on tighter curves.

The Thompson Pacifics had a considerable reduction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Concerning 'front overhang', many large steam locos had their front footplate/bufferbeam narrower than the rest of the footplate

The buffer beam of a Coronation pacific was almost a foot narrower than the width across the cylinders. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Not just steam locos. The front/rear overhang on a Class 37 meant that the relevant platforms at Weymouth had to be reshaped once they began working some of the Bristol trains instead of DMUs and were running round using the cross-over in the station. The indent was clearly visible until recently, probably is still visible but I've just not looked lately.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Both Mk3s and Mk4s have tapered ends because the bogie centres are (more-or-less) the same as Mk1 and Mk2 to ensure that the centre throw is no greater. Other things being equal, this would result in excessive end throw on the Mk3s and Mk4s. Mk4s taper towards the top of the bodyside to stay within gauge when tilting (which of course, as you say, they don't).

Thats interesting because the IETs have the same bogie centres as the mark 3s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

All diesel classes had a taper from the cab to the buffer beam, including the humble class 15s.

I was demonstrating how to ruin a sheet of plastic card and had a few locos on display. The late Alastair Rolfe looks at my model of 10800 Hawk and says " You used the Carter drawing for this".  "Yes" was my reply. " I thought so it doesn't have the taper on the running plate, the drawing is wrong". I think every show I was at either demoing or with a layout and Alastair was also attending he would spot what was wrong with one of my models.   I miss having a chat with him at shows.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Can steam locos be mentioned on this most-enjoyable and entertaining thread? 

Concerning 'front overhang', many large steam locos had their front footplate/bufferbeam narrower than the rest of the footplate; to reduce any front overhang on tighter curves.

The Thompson Pacifics had a considerable reduction. 

Hello Tony 

Steam locos are a feature of my layout, the 1960s in many parts of the country were a happy mix of steam and diesel ( and even electrics) , and I am sure were also part of what Cyril Freezer called the Modern Image. 

Tonight I have packed away a large number of my loco hauled coaches and their steads (including some diesels) and emptied some DMU boxes of their contents. For the new operating session I have moved the time scale to the winter of 1966-67, the last year that saw the longer distant trains operating. By this time most were DMU operated. The catering services had been withdrawn from all trains except some of the York DMUs where there was a limited buffet. A few loco hauled Doncaster trains survive to serve the commuters long the Sheffield, Rotherham and Doncaster corridor  in the mornings and evenings. For the more traditional trainspotters (those who do not record bog cart numbers) pickings are getting less varied, mainly type 2 and type 3 locos and on the steam front a few remaining class 4 tanks and tender locos, even the sight of a Black Five is rare. Parcels are still handled in large quantities so platform 8 still has a queue of road motors  waiting to unload and/or ready take their next consignment to the good people of Sheffield. The Trans-Pennine DMUs are no longer seen at Sheffield Exchange, only because the fat bald bloke forget to get it out its box. 

I have 29 different DMUs in various length trains, quite a few just two cars but a couple of eight car trains for the express workings. One express loco hauled train, two non-gangway sets and a three coach DMU replacement train make up the non DMU passenger carriages. Two parcels consists make up the NPCCS trains for this session. On hand are eleven steam locos and a dozen diesels. 

So far on today's visit a Type 1 (Class 20) has arrived with the empty stock for the Preston train. It will be some time before the passengers feel the heat as the boiler on the Type 3 (class 37) has to warm them from cold. A eight car Derby and BRCW combination has arrived from Hull on its way to Manchester. Two 2 car trains have departed to Barnsley and Doncater on local stoppers. Another two car Derby unit has arrived from Halifax and a pair of twin power car Cravens units from Manchester on a limited stop service. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Trans-Pennine DMUs are no longer seen at Sheffield Exchange, only because the fat bald bloke forget to get it out its box. 

For a moment I really thought this was some cryptic reference to Dr Richard Beeching.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mrs M has gone out this morning so I am excused stable duties. I have taken the opportunity to have a morning running session. I have run various trains and shuffled locos on and off the new improved diesel sidings. I drove a pair of eight coach DMUs out the station simultaneously, from adjacent platforms, they looked very good as they glided out the station. They are now bombing around the layout,. The natural wheel on rail sound of moving trains is fantastic, who needs DCC sound. 

As for the new improved diesel stabling point, I am waiting to the soldering iron to warm up as I need to alter how one of the isolating switches is fed. Done, but I also found that on of the joints on the switch had never been soldered......sack the inspector. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I am continuing to run various DMUs, there are a pair of Met-Cam 2 car units on a service from Wakefield  and a Met-Cam power twin paired with a hybrid  2 car  made up of a BRCW and Derby coaches coming from Huddersfield. 

While doing this session I realised how keeping to the idea of one train to a fiddle yard siding was a good plan. While I had the two 8 car trains ( the longest trains on the layout) running  I was able to place both into a siding knowing that it was long enough for them and not having to shuffle or remove a shorter train to get them to fit. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Some photos of the end of this mornings running. This supposed to be a DMU orientated session, how come there are two class 4 2-6-0s waiting signals to enter the station.  The BR standard is arriving with the ECS of the second non gangway Doncaster set for this evenings rush. The LMS one is heading a 3 coach DMU replacement, it is supposed to a six car unit for Leeds, I hope the passengers are ready for his evenings crush.  When I purchased these two I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted the Ivatt or BR one, so I came home with both.

002a.jpg.d29a728658983096ebdeadd23350eb64.jpg

004a.jpg.370552557348a32932bdbacc412c7be2.jpg

005a.jpg.617bdeedfae50afa2320ec50ef92a874.jpg

Meanwhile at the buffer stops these trains are being loaded with their passengers.

003a.jpg.25f4e85d7574160a15faa36888cb0d3e.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some photos of the end of this mornings running. This supposed to be a DMU orientated session, how come there are two class 4 2-6-0s waiting signals to enter the station.  The BR standard is arriving with the ECS of the second non gangway Doncaster set for this evenings rush. The LMS one is heading a 3 coach DMU replacement, it is supposed to a six car unit for Leeds, I hope the passengers are ready for his evenings crush.  When I purchased these two I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted the Ivatt or BR one, so I came home with both.

002a.jpg.d29a728658983096ebdeadd23350eb64.jpg

004a.jpg.370552557348a32932bdbacc412c7be2.jpg

005a.jpg.617bdeedfae50afa2320ec50ef92a874.jpg

Meanwhile at the buffer stops these trains are being loaded with their passengers.

003a.jpg.25f4e85d7574160a15faa36888cb0d3e.jpg

The goods shed looks just right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What a rubbish day today turned out to be. My poor brother, Steve, took the brunt of things. He had a telephone call early this morning saying our Uncle Charlie had died. Steve had been the contact person since Charlie started to live in a residential home. Later on he accompanied my mum at a hospital appointment, he works in the hospital hence he goes with mum. She has been told she has cancer. What was I doing, playing with toy trains. 

Hi Clive,

Sad news but I'm sure that both your Uncle and Mother wouldn't wish for you to feel bad about enjoying your own life despite their own situations being as they are.

If toy trains keeps your own spirits up then your own disposition will assist your Mother in her own situation when you are with her. Positive attitudes always help with the dealing with illness whatever the cause of the positive state of mind, guilt will only eat you up and won't do anyone any good.

Should your Mother be anything like mine then she will be pleasantly amused that you still pay toy trains at your age !

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/09/2019 at 01:43, Clive Mortimore said:

the white metal bogies are now built

I hope you didn't glue them, as you full well know, having been told by a master modeller, that it is impossible to glue any sort of metal, soldering is the only way possible!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I hope you didn't glue them, as you full well know, having been told by a master modeller, that it is impossible to glue any sort of metal, soldering is the only way possible!

Mike.

:secret: I couldn't find the socket to plug the soldering iron into. :secret:

And the arc-welder is broken.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1