Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Last photo of my recent work. The bits to make the buffet.

017a.jpg.c47c3b14eb80591a6474f3359a9cc57a.jpg

I suppose anther question many might be asking "Why not use etched sides?" Well it is like this, I am a skinflint, and enjoy trying to make my own models.

Have a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhjH05NMB5Q

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Was that Tea or Coffee you made on our visitation Clive?:o:taunt:

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Don't know it was a grey-brown colour and hot, what more do you expect. :scared:

Careful, it was probably a n'orse flavoured OXO cube?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now LMS train two, less the articulated pair. 

008a.jpg.8ee14793e8c5cb2ff737d43262c1b207.jpg

The corridor side of the post war FK. This time I took the door windows from where I cut up a BSK for the period II SO.

015a.jpg.01ca22149512f6aab916619da104ebf9.jpg

The compartment side.

I chose a post war FK as the compartment sizes are the same as a CK. The pre-war FKs had more leg room and were only 5 and 1/2 compartments.

011a.jpg.974acf92cbaf0746c64855c49f0a654f.jpg

The period II SO, both sides are the same.

013a.jpg.67960816ed7999e6720e8723eb315a69.jpg

A period III SO, there were several body styles of SO, I have chosen the one that looks different to the SK. Replica did a LMS SO with 7 1/2 seating bays, another body style, and if I see one I am buying it.

014a.jpg.f7bbf56fc078d56c9bbdf9d5db3230d8.jpg

BSO, again the LMS done a few different BSO bodies, some with 5 1/2 seating bays, some with 6 like this one.

Forgot to say I had train one running earlier on, hauled by an Airfix tender drive 4F now isn't that appropriate.

Hi Clive,

I have a great load of Triang Mk1's in a similar state, I will get back on with them in the winter as it will be dark outside and with any luck they may end up painted and finished one day. The main job I have to do with them is resetting the bogie pivots which is a job that is more laborious than difficult but along with 14mm wheels improves the look of Mk1's a treat. It took me a year to sort out fifteen Freightliner flats so I won't be holding my breath with the Mk1's, and when they re done I shall have to make a start on my Mk2's.

Like you I enjoy building my own stuff, the challenge of seeing what is possible from available stock and parts is great fun.

All the best stuff is home made !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

One day you will have so much painting to do!

How many Joseph coaches do you have now?

This year is build the rolling stock, next year the layout scenery, following year might be painting. The aim is to have the layout working reliable, all the stock made and working reliable, then make it all pretty ready for when I am 70. Hopefully I am still modelling then but it is a target date to finish the layout.

As for reconstituted RTR carriages, including DMUs..........................lots. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As the thread has drifted to a conversation about motorbikes, have I told you all about my adventures with my Honda C90?

Just as long as it isn't a DCC90...……….

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As the thread has drifted to a conversation about motorbikes, have I told you all about my adventures with my Honda C90?

Hi Clive,

Have you any photographs of pretty Japanese Girls riding C90's ? I'm sure you would be interested !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Have you any photographs of pretty Japanese Girls riding C90's ? I'm sure you would be interested !

Gibbo.

Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+girl+honda+c90&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBlOC9tK_kAhVXVRUIHXHMDygQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=1280&bih=800

You're welcome ;)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

How does this happen? I have just printed off a "scale" drawing of the buffet, the one in the LMS coaches book is under 4mm. The spacing between the windows is 10mm and the windows are 16mm long. The Airfix BSK has 16mm long windows with a 10mm lump of plastic between them yet when I place the Airfix sides on the drawing the fourth window from the door is 3mm nearer the buffet counter than it should be. I am using the same ruler, glasses and eyes.

Now do I cut between each window and shorten the gap or lose 3mm in the paneling at the buffet end?

1223623026_BuffetLMS.png.1eaab68bfa753fdfc373da94a0c119c0.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

How does this happen? I have just printed off a "scale" drawing of the buffet, the one in the LMS coaches book is under 4mm. The spacing between the windows is 10mm and the windows are 16mm long. The Airfix BSK has 16mm long windows with a 10mm lump of plastic between them yet when I place the Airfix sides on the drawing the fourth window from the door is 3mm nearer the buffet counter than it should be. I am using the same ruler, glasses and eyes..........

Hi Clive.

Scanning can introduce stretch into the graphic before you even think about printing it. (and photocopying I've found is even worse)

You always have to be careful with print settings to ensure there is no marginal scaling/fitting to page involved if the image being output is anywhere near close to the size of the paper in the printer.

That is before you factor in any errors in the drawing to start with and/or originating from slight variations introduced into the original print output pre-scan.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, john new said:

Hi Clive.

Scanning can introduce stretch into the graphic before you even think about printing it. (and photocopying I've found is even worse)

You always have to be careful with print settings to ensure there is no marginal scaling/fitting to page involved if the image being output is anywhere near close to the size of the paper in the printer.

That is before you factor in any errors in the drawing to start with and/or originating from slight variations introduced into the original print output pre-scan.

Hi John

I normally do check at least 3 or 4 leading dimensions before using any drawing (apart form last night). With any drawing I should be working off the dimensions not measuring from the drawing or laying the model on the drawing. Having said what I should be doing I do find the laying on helpful when building coach sides. It helps ensure the windows are in the right place and that they line up. The top and bottom of the coach can be sorted if wonky. Once the side has been made if the windows are wonky they either remain wonky or it is a rebuild.

The number of model railway drawings that do not have leading dimensions, like buffer height, overall height, body length and wheelbase. These are the ones I use as my check measurements.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Been doing some of that modelling malarkey....again. 

The articulated pair. The roofs need trimming back a bit. Something I have noticed with the Airfix roofs they seem to hog (bow upwards) when not clipped to the glazing.......I need to work out how to prevent that from happening.

001a.jpg.fbb91ae71fff6df294f8e50e4c9948f7.jpg

The BSO from the pair

003a.jpg.890f4cd1c0b8e39c7aa756ee66896218.jpg

006a.jpg.b90d4ff4921d183b5be8e3c1b228d432.jpg

I didn't have enough window sections so I used two windows from the period II SO left over bits, with lower parts from other left over bobs. 

The SO end

004a.jpg.13a585049731d779729fc1e96222abf1.jpg

007a.jpg.ba1426e902e5507282bac222f8326d5f.jpg

The underframes on these coaches was centrally trussed, like a Mk1 so there is loads of work still to do.

The Buffet, the LMS only built 5 buffets and only 4 to this design. Later on some 12 wheeler restaurant cars were converted to buffets. 

005a.jpg.a194b6654798988b4170094bc42b44bf.jpg

The kitchen and counter side.

010a.jpg.fa41e4662b10b68847bd34362101cea4.jpg

The corridor side. Finding out what was on the underframe is going to be fun, I have only ever seen one photo of  these coaches and that is not overly clear as what gubbins was between the bogies.

These photos were taken by our intrepid photographer and some other geezer on the other side as the Blackpool special left behind a black five. The Manchester train (LMS train one) was being hauled by a Stanier Mogul. To see both trains running and knowing only two coaches are as they came out the factory is quite nice. It has taken 5 BSks and 8 Cks Airfix models to produce both these trains, and loads of enjoyment doing in so.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Hi Clive,

As you know I've done some Airfix LMS cut and shuts but only the more straightforward ones. I couldn't face all the filling and cleaning up with so many bits so I have to admire you for going that way.

More recently I've been using Comet sides on Airfix donors, cheap second hand and accurate roof profile. There's plenty of modelling to be had in making the interiors, adding details and underframes.

The Replica seven and half compartment SO appears more accurate than the Comet one on which the compartments are smaller and the doors further from the coach corners. 

You probably know already but I've got to say; many of the post war coaches had BR style window vents and the porthole CKs had a different body profile.

Jim

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jimwal said:

Hi Clive,

As you know I've done some Airfix LMS cut and shuts but only the more straightforward ones. I couldn't face all the filling and cleaning up with so many bits so I have to admire you for going that way.

More recently I've been using Comet sides on Airfix donors, cheap second hand and accurate roof profile. There's plenty of modelling to be had in making the interiors, adding details and underframes.

The Replica seven and half compartment SO appears more accurate than the Comet one on which the compartments are smaller and the doors further from the coach corners. 

You probably know already but I've got to say; many of the post war coaches had BR style window vents and the porthole CKs had a different body profile.

Jim

Hi Jim

I recall your collection of body bits  down the club, many moons ago. It is your fault for inspiring me. I have considered using etch sides but you know me, there are three ways of making a model, the right way, the wrong way and Spider's way.

Please do post some of your work on here, I am sure others will like to see how you have achieved things. For everyone else Jim is a very good modeller, especially freight stock and powerful locos to haul long freight trains.

Need to check the window vents so thanks for reminding me. I knew about the porthole CK being different that is why I done a D2117 CK to have a variation on the Airfix model.

Spider

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

I normally do check at least 3 or 4 leading dimensions before using any drawing (apart form last night). With any drawing I should be working off the dimensions not measuring from the drawing or laying the model on the drawing. Having said what I should be doing I do find the laying on helpful when building coach sides. It helps ensure the windows are in the right place and that they line up. The top and bottom of the coach can be sorted if wonky. Once the side has been made if the windows are wonky they either remain wonky or it is a rebuild.

The number of model railway drawings that do not have leading dimensions, like buffer height, overall height, body length and wheelbase. These are the ones I use as my check measurements.

As I'm sure you know, Clive, the buffer heights should always be 3' 6" (to the nearest inch).