Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

After a rather gruelling week your DMU pictures have really cheered me up, for which many thanks!

Further to your build of a Gresley Quad Arts, I've just seen on Ebay that some chancer is offering the Kirk kit for same for a mere £300 as a "Buy it now", just think what your completed model will be worth.

John.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Improbable pictures there Clive, with 15 DMU's and relevant engines running you wouldn't see a thing for thick blue acrid smoke!

Imagine if they all sat idling for at least 30 minutes, then all set off at once.........

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Imagine if they all sat idling for at least 30 minutes, then all set off at once.........

Good job Clive only has two departure lines then!

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

And Clive thinks that DCC is complicated................

Hi Mick

That looks like a complicated drawing of a simple rectifier. I have one on Sheffield Exchange made from the diodes out of early Hornby 47s and HSTs they were fitted for directional lighting. It is being used to convert 16V Ac to 12 V Dc for the signals which are LEDs.

I have just read the thread.......dare I say on there I spin my turntable by hand. That is why the control panel is next to the steam depot so I can reach the turntable.

Which leads nicely tonight's song, which by coincidence was also today's ear-worm 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

Clive, you're a spiffing chap that's fairly switched on when it comes to coaching stock. Been trying to look up inspection saloons, and just out of curiosity see if there could have been a br mk1 based such vehicle loitering around the GEML at any point, but seem to be drawing a blank on most info apart from 'inspection saloons exist'! Best I can work out, the mk1s were on a 57ft (bg?) chassis, looks like there's couple of different window arrangements... and that's about it.

Do you know anymore? Just debating whether it's worth trying to bashing an old triang/Hornby mk1 into something passable... or add the thought to my projects pile anyway.

On 15/09/2019 at 19:47, Enterprisingwestern said:

Improbable pictures there Clive, with 15 DMU's and relevant engines running you wouldn't see a thing for thick blue acrid smoke!

Mike.

No doubt similar to the thick blue acrid language when the Civil Engineer burns his fingers on a hot soldering iron :blink:

Edited by jazzer
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2019 at 19:26, Satan's Goldfish said:

Clive, you're a spiffing chap that's fairly switched on when it comes to coaching stock. Been trying to look up inspection saloons, and just out of curiosity see if there could have been a br mk1 based such vehicle loitering around the GEML at any point, but seem to be drawing a blank on most info apart from 'inspection saloons exist'! Best I can work out, the mk1s were on a 57ft (bg?) chassis, looks like there's couple of different window arrangements... and that's about it.

Do you know anymore? Just debating whether it's worth trying to bashing an old triang/Hornby mk1 into something passable... or add the thought to my projects pile anyway.

BR built 3 Mk1 based Inspection saloons, dia 1/552. These were WR based.

Somehow one has made it to Sheffield.

100_5684a.jpg.f5dc10d10be6af31acc443ae78d5e1fe.jpg

100_5682a.jpg.aee9bcdef0a04f48d30fd4b34d9f6f5b.jpg

Do you know something I cannot recall an inspection saloon on the GER line during the period you model, except for sighting the SR General Managers Saloon (converted from a Hastings unit buffet car) being pushed by a class 33 where the Colchester line runs along side the A12 near Marks Tey, they were both in Notwork Southeast livery, early 90s. The ER did have them and most were converted pre-group coaches that disappeared around 1970ish. Did they inherit some LMS or BR built LMS design inspection saloons?

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been running trains, most of the other night's DMUs have now departed, and the trainspotters have been treated to some loco hauled action with the arrival of a parcels train from York and an express from Manchester. One of my Bachy Sulzer type 2s has developed a whirring sound, must investigate.

While I have been running trains I have started to mark out the body sides for a rebuilt LNER Tourist Stock Buffet Car. It is going to be scratchbuilt, I might even have a go at the bogies.

The rest of my time in the toy room was getting this little beastie working after 20 odd years of not moving. It now moves very nicely but still sticks a bit when starting.

100_5867a.jpg.73cbb40756a8a3e7764d8ab49b957257.jpg

Why work on it some might be asking? Well I got it out to photograph it for Wright Writes thread and the devil took hold and I had to have it running.

The song for tonight is

a missing t
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

While I have been running trains I have started to mark out the body sides for a rebuilt LNER Tourist Stock Buffet Car. It is going to be scratchbuilt, I might even have a go at the bogies.

Hi Clive

making bogies isn't so difficult as long as you keep things nice and square.  Not so different from coach sides or locomotives or whatever.  It's the wee details that take the time, and you can add as much, or little, of them as you want.  The card bogies for my 303s run nice and true,  My criteria for detailing them is you can't see it when the coach is stood two feet away, or moving slowly then I don't add it.   Same for all the under-gubbins on stock.  I have the greatest respect for those that add every rod and bits to an underframe, but I can't see the point if you can only see it when the model is upside down.  It's just a personal thing.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

the SR General Managers Saloon (converted from a Hastings unit buffet car)

This was used to convey the Prince and Princess of Wales from Waterloo to Romsey at the start of their honeymoon in 1981.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

BR built 3 Mk1 based Inspection saloons, dia 1/552. These were WR based.

Somehow one has made it to Sheffield.

100_5684a.jpg.f5dc10d10be6af31acc443ae78d5e1fe.jpg

100_5682a.jpg.aee9bcdef0a04f48d30fd4b34d9f6f5b.jpg

Do you know something I cannot recall an inspection saloon on the GER line during the period you model, except for sighting the SR General Managers Saloon (converted from a Hastings unit buffet car) being pushed by a class 33 where the Colchester line runs along side the A12 near Marks Tey, they were both in Notwork Southeast livery, early 90s. The ER did have them and most were converted pre-group coaches that disappeared around 1970ish. Did they inherit some LMS or BR built LMS design inspection saloons?

Hi Clive,

It looks like a Cravens that has been chasing parked cars !

For reference this is what a Craven looks like after chasing a parked house:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/topic/accidents/details/royton-1961

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Huddersfield and Wakefield local services had to be stopped......there was an emergency......." Quick, come and get rid of this huge spider". 

Strange old world innit?, wouldn't go near a horse, don't trust the damn things, whereas spiders, well, bring 'em on!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Strange old world innit?, wouldn't go near a horse, don't trust the damn things, whereas spiders, well, bring 'em on!

Mike.

Hi Mike

2 years ago I felt the same with 'orses, now I just get on with doing what I am told to do. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Huddersfield and Wakefield local services had to be stopped......there was an emergency......." Quick, come and get rid of this huge spider". 

And for Mr P it did happen despite the lack of photos.....there may be members of this forum that suffer from arachnophobia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1