How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

There's been heaps of models in LNER Prewar Blue. They just almost all have the same name and number lol. There has been the special edition 4498 as well as Bittern in the Great Gathering/Goodbye sets and DOC in the GG set too.

Ah yes, of course.

I guess I was thinking of single-chimney engines in particular, and engines modelled in 1936-41 condition. As well as LNER post-war colours and numbers...  we have the wartime black N E version at least, and the current BR blue version of 60023 looks beautiful, to my eyes. As does pre-war 'Kingfisher'.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

There's been heaps of models in LNER Prewar Blue. They just almost all have the same name and number lol. There has been the special edition 4498 as well as Bittern in the Great Gathering/Goodbye sets and DOC in the GG set too.

A couple or so years ago, Hornby did 4491 Commonwealth of Australia and I think Great Snipe was out at the same time, but not sure which number Hornby used as two A4s were named "GS", but the first, 4495, was renamed after a month. I expect Hornby's version was 4462? I have 4491, but its damaged (my fault) tender body is being repaired/ painted as I write.

My early attempt at producing an apple green A4 from a BR Mallard (singling the chimney and replacing the valences) came out OKish, but will be outshone by the expected new one due with the loco pack.

I have six A4s now, including a Lilliput Mallard, but I may be tempted if another one comes my way!

Just Ordered a BR Blue 60023 from Hattons.

I had to toss up a coin between BR Blue and LNER silver and I hope there will be a few silver ones left when the wallet recovers.

Anyway, I was wondering Has anyone touched up the blue (to black) on the inside of the tender on their Golden Eagle Yet ?

Not needed a BR blue A4, bit I black ou the tender above the beading. I did it with careful masking, an humbrol satin black. Worked a treat. But mask carefully

I am currently working on a what may have been, using a name which should hae weant on an a4 but never did and also an un-used number. This being 60000 BUZZARD. And it is in br green with late crest and double blast pipe and bow ended tender, allocated to 64b. A nice what might have been.

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 1

I am currently working on a what may have been, using a name which should hae weant on an a4 but never did and also an un-used number. This being 60000 BUZZARD. And it is in br green with late crest and double blast pipe and bow ended tender, allocated to 64b. A nice what might have been.

Careful, other than BR Standards, I don't think there were any X0000 numbers. How about 60035 (OK it was an A3, but if there had been more A4s they would have had a continuious series)?

Google indicates (via RMWeb - ha ha) that 60010 might have been Buzzard in the swapping of names that occurred at the time of building.

But then again, your railway...

Edited by G-BOAF

post-28028-0-03690200-1453463953_thumb.jpg

I only have one A4. I bought it earlier this month, and it arrived with this part broken off it (I don't even know what the part is!). I can see there is a slot which one end goes in, but can't see how the other end fits in! I contacted Hornby who said there was a second slot, but I can't see it. Can anyone help!

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifA4.jpg

I only have one A4. I bought it earlier this month, and it arrived with this part broken off it (I don't even know what the part is!). I can see there is a slot which one end goes in, but can't see how the other end fits in! I contacted Hornby who said there was a second slot, but I can't see it. Can anyone help!

That's odd...same thing happened to mine.

All fixed now! It seems Hornby need to use some stronger glue, I bought a K1 last weekend, and the window glazing was loose in the box for that too! Does anyone know if the A4's are meant to be able to go round second radius curves? I have two sets, it will go round one set fine in both directions, but the first set of driving wheels comes off when it goes round the other set (but only in one direction).

Careful, other than BR Standards, I don't think there were any X0000 numbers. How about 60035 (OK it was an A3, but if there had been more A4s they would have had a continuious series)?

Google indicates (via RMWeb - ha ha) that 60010 might have been Buzzard in the swapping of names that occurred at the time of building.

But then again, your railway...

Yes i did think about using another number but being 60000, the number was never used so there can be no overlap of numbers, just something different and nobody can say its wrong (well having said that nearly everybody will say it's wrong) but i do like the name and think its a shame that the name was never used. Much better a bird name than a director or manager name (with one exception of course)60007).

The loco should make an appearance after the glasgow show.

Gary

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have sold off all my Railroad Versions and so now only have 4 Super detail but with the funds from the railroad's am looking to top up the fleet with more main range.

But a question if I may..............................

Does anyone know where I can buy the small clip (looks a bit like a staple) that holds the lubricator arm to the RHS of the body. It's for the BR blue Golden Eagle (so no valences) if that makes any difference.

Seems I can buy the lubricator arms (x5278) quite readily, but not the clip.

Thanks

Edited by The Blue Streak

• 9 months later...

3 so far, Silver Link in silver, Mallard in LNER blue, both modern loco drive and Mallard in BR green. My first engine so she stays no matter what. I'd also like Sir Nigel Gresley as she was in 1989 but the garter blue with valances missing is a bit hard to find

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it just me who is erked by the recent (certainly since 2011) issues with the cab roofs on Hornby A4s. The wartime black A4 illustrates this problem

Below - not just flash on the rain strip - but different heigh roof on either side of the strip

https://railsofsheffield.azureedge.net/product-images.axd/IMG_6406AUG16.jpg

This pictures shows the slightly 'sunken' roof inboard of the roof rain strip at the rear edge.

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R3441_1578210_Qty1_2.jpg

On garter blue and Silver A4s this is very noticable as the stright line between the body colour runs accross the sunken areas, and does not appear straight when viewed side on. So the distortions to the cab roof affect both the valanced and cut away toolings.

https://railsofsheffield.azureedge.net/product-images.axd/IMG_0687DEC15.jpg?preset=large

I'm not currently in the market for any more A4s, partly because of the fact that these errors have crept into the tooling and not been addressed. There was a Hornby rep on here, but I can't find his name. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Edited by G-BOAF

Update:

I now have four, with no real reason to run them!

1.  3-rail Hornby Dublo Silver King with bendy coal. (will only run on Dublo 3-rail track)

2.  GBL Mallard on Triang Hornby Flying Scotsman with glowing firebox chassis. (will only run without hurdling the points on Triang Super 4 track)

3.  Hornby Mallard (Railroad, DCC fitted)

4,  Hornby Gadwall (Railroad, TTS mainly used for whistling contests with DoG and Ketley Hall)

Boring, eh?