Wayne's Workbench - Wagon bashing, locos, and other stuff.

Hi Wayne

An excellent respray on your 26! I'm looking forward to seeing your model of Tre Pol and Pen.... I've got a number of cornish 37s planned but am distracted with the layout and 47s at the mo ;)  As I picked them up cheap I've opted for vitrains 37s but haven't worked out a solution for getting the bogies to sit closer to the body and sorting out the underfram tanks

cheers

Will

Thanks Will!

It's getting there, the next job on 37196 will be to fit roof grilles and windscreen etcheds.

Will look forward to seeing what you do with the ViTrains example. I only stuck with Bachmann ones as I managed to pick one up at a good price a few years ago and wanted consistency in the fleet.

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901

While the paint is hardening off on the class 26, I thought I'd make more progress on 37196.

This one has been waiting to get finished for far too long as I get easily distracted by building wagons, but with a potential show coming up for my Cornish layout Trevanna Dries the shift is on as there's also a second rake of clay hoods to be done, plus possibly another 37 or maybe a 47.

I'm now in the process of fitting the etched components, already fitted is the fan grille and now I'm doing the windscreens.

It seems there's two approaches to this but on this model I'm trying the method from another article that seems easier.

One these are fitted I can finally start painting, the loco will be finished in mid 1986 condition.

More soon!

Cheers.

IMG_20190831_114022.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just a quick update before I post anymore pictures.

All main livery elements have been applied on the 26 so that's now ready for transfers. This evening saw the first paint go on 37196, I always work from light to dark so the yellow areas were done first. I'll get this one to the same stage as the 26 and then I can start putting transfers on.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 2

Hi @saxokid, thanks for the kind words.

I don't usually post mid painting photos but some people like to see the various stages. 

This afternoon saw the grey applied on 37196, as can be seen some touching up Will be needed (as with any paint project) but the next job will be the black areas and to get the nose ends painted. Once this is done it'll be level pegging with the 26 and I can transfer both at the same time, then some weathering.

Right, no more of this one until it's finished! 

IMG_20190902_151925.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
Grammar error
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, vulcan product fan said:

Hi mate great work on the 37 how easy was it to fit the etched windows have a few spare bodies and mite try it thanks Andi.

Hi Andi!

I wouldn't say it's easy but it's certainly not difficult. I'm yet to be convinced that full replacement makes a huge difference but I'm yet to do a comparison. I'm doing it so I can try and keep consistency in the fleet.

I'd definitely suggest giving it a go though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

While other projects are moving forward to completion I decided that I wanted to build a new diorama on which to photograph finished models. I also wanted it powered so I could use it for programming and also have a working signal.

The idea is a single track branch that could be anywhere, but based on a photo in South Wales. I decided that I would add a bridge so I could also try modelling an unkempt road, again an idea from South Wales.

Lots more to do, but the photo shows where I am after about an hour before work.

IMG_20191004_162958.jpg

• Like 2

A little more work on this earlier before stopping for lunch and I can finally get an idea on how this will look and so far it's sort of what I had in mind.

The area behind the 37 is only roughed in at the moment.

Still much to do but it's nice to see the front coming together, I'm pleased with how it's looking so far.

Cheers.

IMG_20191005_124559.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Like the idea of the photo plank, something I have debated myself a fair few times.  Work on the real layouts always seems to get in the way.

196 is looking very good, you have reminded me that I still haven't got round to rewheeling my respray!

4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Like the idea of the photo plank, something I have debated myself a fair few times.  Work on the real layouts always seems to get in the way.

196 is looking very good, you have reminded me that I still haven't got round to

rewheeling my respray!

I've been toying with building one for a while. It'll be handy to experiment with scenery as it's not my strong point to honest.

37196 is ready for decals now, the loco posed on the plank is 37670.

A bit more progress has seen the rear area roughed in, I've also temporarily placed the bridge and signal so I can see how things will look.

The front area to the right will be home to a skip/plant hire company so I'll need to build a workshop building at some point.

IMG_20191007_154122.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Work has stopped on the photo plank while I finished a commission job, this is also the same reason I haven't posted any updates for a bit.

Here's a picture taken earlier this evening after delivering the wagons back to the owner.

IMG_20191022_183612.jpg

He's asked me to build and paint two more, a bogie steel carrier and an EWS open wagon so this time I'll document those on here as I go.

Cheers.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Another project I've been working on is renumbering and weathering this Bachmann BR blue class 08. This one has been in a stock-box for some time so has finally seen some light.

I'm keeping the factory paint as a full repaint wouldn't make much difference after it's weathered to be honest, although some 'armchair experts' may disagree.

This one is going to become 08801 which worked in Cornwall and South Wales, so an ideal candidate for current and future layouts.

IMG_20191216_214008.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looking forward to seeing that weathered Wayne, how did you remove the number?

I usually use thinners to remove numbers but it can be harsh on the paint.

For this and a blue 37 I'm doing, I tried a method used by an American modeller I follow on YouTube.

You need a bottle of Micro Sol, some kitchen towel, a small brush and cotton buds.

Cut a piece of towel to cover the number, apply Micro Sol and leave to soak for five minutes. Then remove the towel and the numbers should scrub away with the cotton buds.

Hey presto!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Is it really February already?

Been a bit quiet but I've been trying to work through the unfinished projects do not too much to see until things are finished.

I'm slowly switching over to Sprat and Winkle couplings. I used to use Kadees but I found I didn't have a great experience with them, although I've worked with them on another layout and they worked. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I spent some time this afternoon knocking up a jig from scrap wood and some track. It has a goal post height gauge at one end and a magnet at the other.

Most wagons should be easy to fit, the only ones I'm having a slight issue with is wagons with a deep buffer beam like VBA, VDA and VGA vans for example. A little thought will be needed because I don't want to cut slots in the headstocks.

Cheers

IMG_20200219_152052.jpg

• Like 3

Use what you're comfortable with.    I'm using Kadee's as they are much easier for me to get.   Also,  I like them better for exhibitions.   I'm not fond of twisting off 20-odd wagons when the next club member wants to run on the layout.

On 19/02/2020 at 15:52, Wayne 37901 said:

Is it really February already?

Been a bit quiet but I've been trying to work through the unfinished projects do not too much to see until things are finished.

I'm slowly switching over to Sprat and Winkle couplings. I used to use Kadees but I found I didn't have a great experience with them, although I've worked with them on another layout and they worked. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I spent some time this afternoon knocking up a jig from scrap wood and some track. It has a goal post height gauge at one end and a magnet at the other.

Most wagons should be easy to fit, the only ones I'm having a slight issue with is wagons with a deep buffer beam like VBA, VDA and VGA vans for example. A little thought will be needed because I don't want to cut slots in the headstocks.

Cheers

IMG_20200219_152052.jpg

I know what you mean.... time is flying by!

Looking forward to seeing your 08... a favourite of mine. As you say when weathered the base paint doesn't matter so much. After all it's a weather beaten gronk ;)

@dj_crisp

Thanks Will. I should get on with the 08 but I'm trying to get my head round these Sprat and winkle couplings on wagons with deep headstocks. I didn't want to cut any slots in them, but it's looking like I might have to.

37196 is also finished now and just a little bit of service weathering as it seemed to be kept quite clean, then the glazing putting in. Same goes for 26034 and there's also a blue 37 using Bachmann 37284 as the basis.

I promise to post some pictures soon, I'd just rather get on with things for now.

Cheers

Wayne