Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

One small thing I may change are the handrail knobs, the wire is commendably fine scale, but the knobs are decidedly bulbous. Trouble is they are only made in brass finish, I will check and see what the preserved one has on it,

Stephen

Edit....

Checked, they are polished steel knobs as preserved, so may leave them as is, as they are better than rival makes, and radial to the boiler. Hornby's Peckett is the only model with what must be scale sized rails and knobs, very small sized.

Edited by bertiedog

I used brass or N/S wire that was filed down to under half, whilst laid stretched in a groove in a piece of hardwood, then wrapped around the handrail, and pushed through an 18BA washer (yes, they were once made!) to act as the base, all soldered over with low melt once soldered to the boiler with high melt.

But as soon as turned knobs became available again customers wanted the turned ones. SME had made scale knobs in the 1940's but they dropped all those fine parts in the 50's, sighting cost. They returned when made by Swiss suppliers to the trade.

These days a CNC centre can turn them out easily, the kind of fiddly job they were made for.

Hand made wire knobs are better on GWR boilers where the heights vary along the run.

Stephen.

I have been giving some thought to converting to P4 my BR liveried CT when it arrives. The current thoughts involve using a London Road Models chassis kit from their own Coal Tank kit. This will give some scale coupling rods and I will be looking to use the kit chassis side frames to pack out the Bachmann chassis enabling me to keep the Bachmann motor.

If this is not possible I will build up the LRM chassis complete.

What is everyone else thinking.

David

.....The current thoughts involve using a London Road Models chassis kit from their own Coal Tank kit. This will give some scale coupling rods .......

It is my view that the LRM coupling rods are to wide (that is the height) as seen side on.

LRM's scale 2.03mm = 6", the prototype is 4" (as per measuring 1054 at Warley NEC Show, and the GA Drawing, No. C26413).

I was fortunate to acquire some spare M&L frets back about 30 years ago and more recently, etches by the late George Norton, of the required rods, but Hen's teeth come's to mind, so at least my LRM Chassis' look OK with the replacement rods.

Of course a certain law will come into play and I will find I have early LRM CT chassis kits and they have now been revised, but. 

Alan Gibson does a fret for the coupling rods - Part 4M79 - and I think I bought a set in the past, but I can't recall what the width is, or which loco I've put them on.

Edited by Penlan

Sandy,

LRM absorbed the Geo. Norton range. I think that the LNWR coupling rod etch may be available although not listed on the website. The show stand has a number of items on one of the pegboards and I think I have seen them there. An enquiry though the LRM website will confifm if I am correct.

John Redrup originally designed the LRM CT chassis in response to requsts from owners of K's and Proscale kits. It was hand drawn artwork and John possibly made the rods too deep for robustness.

Jol

Further to a query above, of mine, re. how far will a bunker of coal last....
On the LNWR Society Forum, in answer to a query re. the extra width side tanks on CT's,
Peter Spedding gave the following answer:-

Further information on the widened tanks on the coal tanks appears in Campbell Highets book 'All Steamed Up' published by Oxford Publishing Coy in 1975. Campbell Highets was the Shedmaster at Birkenhead North and in chapter 6 of the book is the following paragraph - 'Shortly after the amalgamation of 1923, two of Webb's Coal tanks made their appearance on the section. These were 7744 and 7759. The former had been scrapped when I got there (Feb 1935), but 7759 was still very much in evidence. These two engines had been fitted with side and bunker tanks several inches wider than standard, in order to carry sufficient water for the round trip of 24 miles. The original capacity of 1,150 gallons was enhanced by some 350 gallons'.

So, when the loco left Swansea Victoria, unless there was a water crane etc., en route,

8 miles distance seems to have been the limit. That doesn't seem very far?

Edited by Penlan

Something to go with the Precursor.

post-1191-0-50677600-1493571335_thumb.jpg 

post-1191-0-35007000-1493570409_thumb.jpg

This is a model of a LNWR/WCJS D10 dining saloon. Built from a Modellers World D9 kit, with a Bill Bedford narrow vestibule etch for the ends and running on Masokits sprung bogies.The carriage sides needed some lower beading removed and the ends also needed modifying a bit as there were a couple of errors. The D10's were 8' 6" wide - rather than the 9' of the D9 - which is useful as the profiled wooden roof ( with etched clerestory side overlays) is correct for the narrower body.

Nearly finished are two Brian Badger kits for a WCJS 42' arc roof brake/third and a 42' composite, plus a 50' brake/third from a set of Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides/ends.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread. It should be over here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14518-brassmasters-lnwr-precursor/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2696791

Oh, the joys of old age!

Oh! Assumed you were looking forward to a RTR Hardwicke!

EDIT: Bother - confusion: Precursor - Precedent - Problem!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Oh! Assumed you were looking forward to a RTR Hardwicke!

No way!

I've got a LRM kit for one. I'll probably do it after the Teutonic, Renown and Jubilee, but before the Coal Engine, 4' 6" Tank and Experiment.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll probably do it after the Teutonic

But for Jeannie Deans you'll be wanting the original 42' WCJS corridor stock and 47'6" diners?

There is something about a West Coast dining carriage that makes even a dyed-in-the-wool Midland enthusiast go weak at the knees.

But for Jeannie Deans you'll be wanting the original 42' WCJS corridor stock and 47'6" diners?

There is something about a West Coast dining carriage that makes even a dyed-in-the-wool Midland enthusiast go weak at the knees.

I'll be modelling 1309 Adriatic as she was the last survivor in 1907, so the D10 and the 42' coaches I have built should be a match. 

They burn well.....I set on alight haha.......  :superstition:

Larry,

you are a very naughty boy!

Larry,

you are a very naughty boy!

Yay, it's been an eventful life haha. No H&S or hard hats in those days, I took a whole door home after unscrewing it from one coach. The scrappers cut a Mansell wheel of its axle for my front garden but I declined the offer. When given the chance to pour in the petrol and a burning torch, I thought why not. The results appeared in one of Foxline's 'Camping Coaches albums.

I must say your model coach looks great.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

So......given all of the above, what's the Bachmann Coal Tank like? Sorry, just trying to get back on subject. Got an LMS and BR version on pre-order. The LNWR version looks pretty good.

I ordered mine from Rails, and have been running the loco in a bit, runs very smoothly now, in fact sort of glides along the track, quite elegant really!

It is a miniscule more noisy than the recent LMS mogul from Bachmann, but nothing too distracting.

Overall I'm really happy with the Webb tank, and the LNWR livery looks very smart. I'm also awaiting the LMS liveried version too.

I've no second thoughts about having a second, and Rails are offering free tracked Royal Mail postage too.

Cheers,

Keith

The LNWR version looks pretty good.

It is, especially with the numberplates stuck on. In all honesty, I think printing reproduces very fine lettering a little better but the glow from brass plates makes a model something rather special. Photos don’t do the plates justice. I have an LMS one on order too. No plates but I think it will still be a very attractive model.

So......given all of the above, what's the Bachmann Coal Tank like? Sorry, just trying to get back on subject. Got an LMS and BR version on pre-order. The LNWR version looks pretty good.

I apologise for introducing some model making to this thread.

Perhaps you will have found your answer somewhere in the preceding 500 or so replies, especially the reviews in posts 428 and 443.

• RMweb Gold

I don't really think it's wandered away from Coal Tanks,just that some of us like to think outside the box.Me for one who lapsed into nostalgia for their last days in South Wales.Others like to get hands on and "do some modelling" with what we all know to be a fine model