Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Really starting to look the part that stream jeff,especially with the different size bolders and stones in it.

Makes me wish i had wider baseboards in the loft to make a proper job of a fell!

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

If I don't show some step-by-step piccies then I get a few polite nudges to do so. So here's a batch of images showing what's been done so far - most of it in the last week.

It's sometimes a bit frustrating as the materials used inevitably mean it's a slow process. But what's a few days in the long-term scheme of things?

So, we start back in August 2016 with the building of a stream bed: ply frame, insulating board base and shaped plaster top:

post-13778-0-01889000-1496430500_thumb.jpg

Last week, after sitting around for 8 months, the streambed was given a couple of coats of brown acrylic. Painting the bed and banks a different colour was, quite frankly, a waste of time as the floor of the stream ended up totally covered in rock debris...

post-13778-0-21809800-1496430711_thumb.jpg

Boulder-sized rocks were cast using plaster in Woodland Scenics moulds, glued to the base of the stream and given a wash of grey paint to colour them (wash not shown!):

post-13778-0-94450000-1496430869_thumb.jpg

The stream bank was given my usual flock base-coat and the bed filled with additional sizes of "rocks" - again WS "Talus" in Fine, Medium and Large grades was used. I used my Grisedale Beck photos as a guide (see earlier post), but at this stage the stream looks like an inpenetrable Everest track. Most of the stuff in the stream bed will end up below the "water" line....

post-13778-0-37734700-1496430941_thumb.jpg

The next 2 pics show layers of very short (1-2mm) and then medium (6mm) grass being added in...

post-13778-0-18964500-1496431010_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64597400-1496431072_thumb.jpg

And the next 2 pics show some clumps of 12mm Noch beige fibres added along the bank/stream boundary to represent some kind of stream-loving reeds.

post-13778-0-68811900-1496431131_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55282400-1496431197_thumb.jpg

Still no "water" added....that's in the next post!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Right, I'll add some more, hopefully getting the next batch of pics in order!!

The first 2 pics show water layer 1 and water layer 2. I've always used WS "Realistic Water" for things like this - you may have your own preference. Pic 1 was on Weds 31st May, pic 2 about a day later, allowing around 18 hours for the "water" to clear and set (it doesn't go hard, just stays as a very firm gel):

post-13778-0-52808400-1496431804_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19064400-1496431870_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the stream bed under the centre of the viaduct was prepared with rock debris, secured with a good dose of PVA:

post-13778-0-21710300-1496431937_thumb.jpg

I've constructed a simple frame into which the stream bed/ply arrangement shown in the first pic of the previous post can slide:

post-13778-0-56183400-1496432122_thumb.jpg

This will allow the existing slopes from the Fell and the embankment area to be built, independent of the stream "box", which - for the moment can still be slid in and out...

post-13778-0-72005400-1496432060_thumb.jpg

The current state of play with a third water coating is as shown:

post-13778-0-39153100-1496432013_thumb.jpg

More pics and progress reports when something else happens!

Jeff

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Jeff.

Does the stream slope front to back like you had in KL?

Andy G

The stream bed is slightly higher below the viaduct than it is at the operating well end. So as you look at the viaduct, the "water" is flowing towards you.

Of course, the water in the stream box is actually as level as I can make it. If the stream bed in the box was at an angle the water gel would flow down the slope and accumulate at one end - or escape all over the floor!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Oh, that's a shame, as I thought you would have done it as on KL, where it sloped towards the wall, therefore opening out the vista, and offering something different to the norm.

I have to say that its stunning modelling none the less...

Andy G

Cracking work & very realistic jeff.

When you add the longer grass fibres,do you wait for the shorter stuff to dry out,then cover with pva again before adding the longer stuff?

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Cracking work & very realistic jeff.

When you add the longer grass fibres,do you wait for the shorter stuff to dry out,then cover with pva again before adding the longer stuff?

Cheers

Ben

Morning Ben.

I use PVA as my preferred adhesive for grass - top layers can be fixed in with hairspray (which I also use). Details are in some of those earlier references I posted.

I found from experience that trying to rush successive layers of static grass when using PVA was a bad idea. Adding PVA to a still wet underlayer created a right mushy mess and I found the brush covered in fibres from the previous layer! So I take my time and let each layer dry before adding the next.

Don't forget to add smaller fibre "infill". So, when a layer of 6mm had been put on top of the 2mm, there are still loads of gaps between the longer fibres. I immediately add 1-2mm and this fills the gaps nicely. 

You can add additional layers on top of each other more rapidly if you use an extra hold hairspray as the adhesive. I do this when adding in vegetation between the grass blades.

This is the way I've found works for me - all discovered by playing around. Probably the scientist in me! This time last year I'd never touched a blade of grass (static, I hasten to add!!) in my life. Honest, guv....

Jeff

Thanks for help jeff

Ive bought another applicator,although still a fairly cheap one,which i seem to be getting better results from on a test piece.

Ive read that going over it with a balloon straight after helps too.

Cheers for the advice again jeff.

Ben

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ben, another piece of advice I can offer - and it'll probably work better than a balloon - is to use the nozzle of your hoover.

I always collect the fibres that haven't stuck onto the glue, using a 6" end of stocking over the end of the hoover nozzle. I find I save at least 50% of fibres that way.

But when you've hoovered up the surplus, go over the grass with the nozzle end VERY close to the fibres. Occasionally you'll get TOO close, suck some grass up and it ALWAYS ends with a string of Anglo-Saxon words beginning with S or F (oh, stuff it, fiddlesticks.....NOT) out of my mouth!

However, the hoover will pull a lot of the fibres into a vertical/near upright position and really makes the grass look good. Once the PVA has set, they're stuck like that!

Apologies if you already do this.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Fell side of the bank and the gap between the stream box and area below the viaduct have been filled with plaster. This will be given 2-3 days to harden and then a blade will be inserted to disconnect the steam bed from the plaster. The other side of the box will then be filled in. If done carefully - and grass covers up many imperfections - the stream box will be able to slide in and out of the gap between Fell and embankment.

post-13778-0-90168100-1496505039_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04732500-1496505105_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38458300-1496505177_thumb.jpg

Here's the "water" after 3 coats - pretty well set, and almost clear.

post-13778-0-02988800-1496505239_thumb.jpg

Jeff

post-13778-0-90168100-1496505039_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04732500-1496505105_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38458300-1496505177_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02988800-1496505239_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Brian, Jason - thanks for the comments.

Although filler sets for general use in a couple of hours, with a good "dollop" on the hillside I find it's more like a couple of days before the stuff has set right way through. I've added in the plaster slope on the embankment side, and slid out the stream box. By tomorrow I'll be able to paint the plaster with my usual brown base colour, add some flock and get a short fibre grass coat on top.

Here's how it looks at the moment.

post-13778-0-42059400-1496588822_thumb.jpg

Jeff

post-13778-0-42059400-1496588822_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Derek. If I was one for those cameos that half the Forum seems to be banging-on about then I'd have a fisherman - or some swans - or..... choose your cliché. I'll have to think up something to go with the stream, but will keep it simple. A while back I was tempted to build a version of the Dent Head packhorse bridge, but given the location of my stream - coming from nowhere and going to the same place - I don't think it's relevant. It'd save you falling in though - I bet you were a naughty boy!!

I hope you're re-scheduled for the heart procedure. We need our class purveyor of pre-grouping locos in his finest fettle!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

I'd just like to register my disappointment, Jeff, that you didn't take the opportunity to use the unclad Jennifer Saunders from Noch's "Really?, Really, Really! Swingin Sixties" set, and cast her waist deep in your stream, enjoying a 1960's free love-type frolic  :O

That'd pretty much blast any swan, duck, or fish cliche out the water and assign it to history.

(And no, I'm not going to photoshop that for you.  No matter how nicely you ask!)

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Yes Scott, and we wouldn't want to be banned from the site and cast into railway limbo for having too much frolicking on my thread, would we?

It might also put paid to any future magazine article. A bit too risqué for RM and certainly MRJ (not that KL2 was ever likely to appear in there).....

Plaster has been duly painted, PVA'd and flocked. Now waiting for the glue to set before - yet again - the grass fibres can emerge.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

No cliches or cameos please Jeff; it would ruin the scene

No problems there, Jason.

I really dislike forced cameos. The scene is meant to represent the reality of the place, so nice and simple for me.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I know some of you like the progress pics, so if you are fed up with pictures of the stream bed, look away now.....!!

Plaster painted:

post-13778-0-05251900-1496676921_thumb.jpg

An hour later...

Plaster PVA'd:

post-13778-0-42722200-1496676991_thumb.jpg

Plaster flocked:

post-13778-0-76571100-1496677060_thumb.jpg

3 hours later, with the PVA set under the flock, a 1-2mm grass fibre base added (as with all previous grassing). I'll leave this for about 20 hours then add in some rougher, 4-6mm grass:

post-13778-0-22357500-1496677127_thumb.jpg

Just to see how it fits, the stream box was replaced. I'll deal with the wooden edges of the box that show between the grass - a PVA coat and some grass will hide most of the edge:

post-13778-0-04519200-1496677196_thumb.jpg

Views across the stream and along the Fell:

post-13778-0-88522800-1496677273_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-09530900-1496677330_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The gap on the left looks like it is a natural place for a footpath (and we all know that footpaths meet near water....), so you might be able to disguse one side as a path.

I have to say it stunning work, its just like the real thing....

Andy G

You know Jeff sometimes I nearly forget that you're actually building a model railway, not an epic diorama of a moor.

Keep up the great work and stop apologising for posting photo's of your stunning scenic work.

Like that last piccie, with the fellside climbing away to the left and the viaduct in the distance. Really does look the part. All we want now is typical S-C weather, dark scudding clouds, strong wind from the north and rain coming at you almost horizontally, with, perhaps, a hint of sleet in the rain. Yes typical June weather in those parts, as I remember whilst cycling, motor cycling, walking and camping in the northern Dales.

Derek

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Like that last piccie, with the fellside climbing away to the left and the viaduct in the distance. Really does look the part. All we want now is typical S-C weather, dark scudding clouds, strong wind from the north and rain coming at you almost horizontally, with, perhaps, a hint of sleet in the rain. Yes typical June weather in those parts, as I remember whilst cycling, motor cycling, walking and camping in the northern Dales.

Derek

Cue my normal requests for the lighting like we had on Lunefell 1 ;-}

Andy G