Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Inspirational greenery and stone walling there Physics.

Cheers Larry.

If you need evidence of my insanity, the summary pics on the previous page are testimony to my "walling-mania"....

Good work on Carrog, btw.

Jeff

• Like 1

As promised, a couple of shots of the low-relief/backscene at the cutting end, for completeness:

attachicon.gifIMG_5400.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5408.JPG

Jeff

Brutal honesty, Jeff?   I don't like the grass hard up against the turnout bearers in the bottom left of that first photo...

I appreciate it's a tough place to decorate, because of the minimal depth, but I think lush green right into the perway there feels wrong.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Brutal honesty, Jeff?   I don't like the grass hard up against the turnout bearers in the bottom left of that first photo...

I appreciate it's a tough place to decorate, because of the minimal depth, but I think lush green right into the perway there feels wrong.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers

Scott

Fair comment Scott, and the solution isn't what I would have preferred. With another 2 feet to play with the bank could have swung around naturally without the need to put a low relief front piece in.

If anyone has a better solution I would like to hear it. And NO, I'm not a painter, so the photographic backscene is non-negotiable.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Fair comment Scott, and the solution isn't what I would have preferred. With another 2 feet to play with the bank could have swung around naturally without the need to put a low relief front piece in.

If anyone has a better solution I would like to hear it. And NO, I'm not a painter, so the photographic backscene is non-negotiable.

Jeff

Jeff, I would have to agree with Scott, but I don't think it's a major problem to deal with, just scalp the bank edge of your low relief section and add some ballast, or even just bare earth. I think it's just the fact that the greenery is right up to the sleeper edge which looks wrong.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I would have to agree with Scott, but I don't think it's a major problem to deal with, just scalp the bank edge of your low relief section and add some ballast, or even just bare earth. I think it's just the fact that the greenery is right up to the sleeper edge which looks wrong.

Al.

Yes Al, you and Scott are right about the bank. It's only with that photo that it's apparent that it's too close. Easy remedial action!......

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Quality work as usual Jeff. I expect all alterations are being undertaken as we speak.

This layout is so inspirational, it even gets a mention in this months BRM.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Quality work as usual Jeff. I expect all alterations are being undertaken as we speak.

This layout is so inspirational, it even gets a mention in this months BRM.

Steve.

Blimey Steve, you're a slave driver.....I'm only JUST heading out to make some alterations! :D  :D

I noticed your link to the "Duffield" layout (in the BRM magazine thread), the main feature in BRM. But I certainly didn't recall spotting mention of KL2. You'll need to tell me where!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here you are. The area between bank and track will eventually have some fine ballast on it, when the remaining track is ballasted.

post-13778-0-27514100-1498582060_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22194500-1498582119_thumb.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the proximity of the bank. It's a case of not seeing the bank for the grass....

Jeff

• Like 6

If you have any ash, that would be better in the cess between the ballast and the grass. Mine is real ash thanks to a mate, but i used Ash from Woodland Scenics at one time and it wasn't bad. I can't remember if it was possible to file it down to dust as I can with the real stuff.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Jeff

A bit more walling Jeff along the trackside with the backscene then in behind the wall.

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Steve, you're a slave driver.....I'm only JUST heading out to make some alterations! :D  :D

I noticed your link to the "Duffield" layout (in the BRM magazine thread), the main feature in BRM. But I certainly didn't recall spotting mention of KL2. You'll need to tell me where!

Jeff

Have a look on page 27. They've missed the 2 off

• RMweb Premium

Have a look on page 27. They've missed the 2 off

Cheers Steve. I DID miss seeing that comment, very pleased to know I've made an impression somewhere. Thank the guys for their comment, please!

A bit more walling Jeff along the trackside with the backscene then in behind the wall.

Scott

I like this idea, Scott. Jason suggested something similar in a PM.

Maybe a bit of walling and a lower (half the present height) low relief piece behind the wall - in front of the backscene - would look good.

Oh dear, more walling!....

Jeff

Cheers Steve. I DID miss seeing that comment, very pleased to know I've made an impression somewhere. Thank the guys for their comment, please!

I like this idea, Scott. Jason suggested something similar in a PM.

Maybe a bit of walling and a lower (half the present height) low relief piece behind the wall - in front of the backscene - would look good.

Oh dear, more walling!....

Jeff

NO GRASS (bet you never thought you'd here me say that), JUST WALLING as Scott suggest, far better, but if the backscene doesn't go down enough, then maybe an INCH of GRASS with the Wall on top, or Bushes behind or along the top of the wall.

post-9335-0-43823900-1498599901.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Since I thru the hand grenade, Jeff... in for a penny, in for a pound:

post-8688-0-68359000-1498609550_thumb.jpg

I think that a strip of either much shorter grass, or dry grass, would work well in the area I have shaded above.  That would give you a transition from perway to agriculture, and also make a landscape "layer" that probably would help create a feeling of distance.

But what you have done so far is a great improvement.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott.

Not a bad idea, I should be able to trim the bank back a little, we'll see.

I agree that, where possible, the vegetation would have been kept well in check - especially in the 1950s/60s.

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Jeff,

One thought would be a low and short retaining wall which would give you a bit of height if required, see pretty poor picture below, its not something I have photographed much so I have found out after 15mins of trawling through dozens.

post-5296-0-39532300-1498633115_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Mike, thanks for going to the trouble of hunting down that image.

I've not been able to get into the Bunker today, and maybe not tomorrow, due to other (boring) commitments, but the wall idea has gathered pace and I'll likely build something. I may build the wall on a section of ply, which can be removed if it looks crap!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

But how could a wall YOU built, look crap?

Cheers Tony.

I'm covering all eventualities - even if the wall looks ok, it might not "fit" into the area it's being placed. So rather than build it in situ, it can be built - more comfortably sat at a table - on a piece of 4mm ply base and then moved into position when ready.

The wall I'm going to build will be slightly different to the Fell walls. I'll still be using DAS bricks, but the wall will be more "regular", with mostly even courses. I say this but need to go and make the bricks - or there'll be no wall! As it's serving a barrier and "retaining" function, the brickwork will be mostly 6" by 12" or 6" by 18" blocks (a massive 2 x 4mm and 2 x 6mm to scale). I suppose I can get away without copings, but they do neaten things up.

I thought about doing the walling by simply covering a piece of wood with some Slaters stone effect plastikard (as for the platforms), but it lacks a bit of "character" and it's more fun to get down to more bricklaying!

The way things are going, with other commitments, it may be the middle of next week before the job gets done.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A reminder that Jeff will be appearing at the SFG exhibition being held in Gnosall (near Stafford) next week, ready to meet his fans and show them the DAS clay permanently ingrained under his fingernails. In addition, there will be some rather nice finescale layouts to look at whilst Jeff nips off for a poo.

post-9707-0-30621600-1498732804_thumb.jpg

We all hope to see you all there :)

• RMweb Premium

Quite appropriate really, as I'm just about to make a new batch of DAS bricks, for a bit more walling....

I don't normally give autographs, but have made the decision - after MUCH pleading from Jason - to offer them at £10 a go.

Jason's already bought half-a-dozen..... :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Quite appropriate really, as I'm just about to make a new batch of DAS bricks, for a bit more walling....

I don't normally give autographs, but have made the decision - after MUCH pleading from Jason - to offer them at £10 a go.

Jason's already bought half-a-dozen..... :jester:  :jester:

£10 for an autograph on paper, or is it on a DAS brick?

• Like 1