Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

...which in turn reminds me of an entry in a loco repair book where the driver had written "Low Amps". The action taken was entered as "Amps topped up".

And one from the Oxford Signalling techs fault book very early in my career: “Radley Ground Frame o.o.o.” for which the action taken was “Guard instructed in use of Ground Frame”

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An intermittent fault in the PH Pro command station seems to be a possibility but I will see what they say.

I had a long and very useful phone conversation with Marcus this morning. He thinks that there is probably a problem in the command station so I will take up NYC David's offer to borrow his spare PH Pro box (he uses a 10 A on his system not 5 A) and see what happens.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice. And thanks for the lowdown on the signal box name plate.

Paul.

Here's the file if anyone would like a short cut.

PM, SE, PT signal box nameboards large.doc

Edit: of course, these won't look right if you haven't installed the font.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I had a long and very useful phone conversation with Marcus this morning. He thinks that there is probably a problem in the command station so I will take up NYC David's offer to borrow his spare PH Pro box (he uses a 10 A on his system not 5 A) and see what happens.

Marcus suggested disconnecting everything except the PH Pro box from the layout and seeing what happened. He also suggested resetting the command station, which I did. The result was that everything was fine for a while but then all commands to the locos would be lost, as was happening yesterday. This seems to confirm his theory that the command station is Donalded (rhyming slang) so I will change over to David's unit and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, then we will all have to scratch our heads a bit harder.

While all this was going on (or not) I needed to pass the time somehow, so I connected up the three Line Clear Release push-buttons. Using a temporary supply, pending the installation of the Line Clear switches at Paddington and Penzance, these worked fine.

post-21039-0-53240600-1542521491_thumb.jpg

I also laid another yard each of Paddington loops 8 to 13. One more yard, plus a short section of six inches or so, for each loop will see these finished as far as the Peco track is concerned. I will then wire them up to the Up bus, after which I will move the spare stock to them from Penzance and lay loops 2 to 7 there.

Another cracking match last night too, from Dublin this time.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

There's no F in Duck ?

Yours

Walt

Very true, there’s no effin’ Duck...

I’m liking those Paddington loops btw. Out of interest, how big is your railway room? Would love to have the same space for my own efforts!

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Very true, there’s no effin’ Duck...

I’m liking those Paddington loops btw. Out of interest, how big is your railway room? Would love to have the same space for my own efforts!

Phil.

Overall it's 7 m x 6 m Phil.

• RMweb Premium

One obvious thing I didn't try at the weekend was to change the command station battery, as I hadn't got a spare to hand. I bought one today and fitted it tonight, with the power off to force a reset. When I powered up the PH Box (only) with a tethered cab and tried running a loco all was well, so I got on with some more tracklaying and another odd job (see below), trying a loco every ten minutes or so for about an hour and a half. All was still fine after that, so I connected the cab bus and powered up the SB5 as well, to check the points. These were fine too (except those controlled by macros, which were lost during the reset). I ran a train round each of the main lines without difficulty, so perhaps the problem has in fact been solved.

I'll try a longer test at the weekend - in the meantime, fingers crossed.

As well as laying another six yards of track at Paddington, I fitted some temporary lever leads to the lever frame.

I had toyed with the idea of a non-prototypical pulling list, such as "From Up Branch to Up Main pull 14, 19, 20, 41, 42, 49, 50 and 51", but in the end I decided that there were too many options for this, so I followed the course suggested by the ever-persuasive Mike the Stationmaster and copied as far as was feasible the prototype lever leads, showing which other levers need to be reversed to release the lever in question.

post-21039-0-03644400-1542625351_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-25090600-1542625392_thumb.jpg

These prints, inspired by those used by Graeme in Queensland, are only temporary as I need to tweak the font and coloured infill a little but they will do for now. The lever number and description is on the top panel, while the list of levers is on the front. As you can see, the Line Clear Release push-buttons are in line with their respective levers.

I had to move the signal box nameboard of course. I"m not sure about this new position - perhaps about halfway up the panel would look better.

That's it now until the weekend as work is once again getting in the way until Friday.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I'm full of admiration for the work going on here. It's far, far more than anything I will need or could build but it brings to mind real railway work from the days when experienced railwaymen worked together to keep the trains running.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So what about us friends who are not going, eh? Pah.

Stu, sit back and enjoy (after footy practice?) and think of those poor #### getting thumped by ### ####### and poked in the vitals by bags of metre length track as well as suffering migraine due to the 'atmosphere'. The there is the joy of using the car park or enjoying the company of friendly footy fans on the local trains. Maybe watch the rugger and have a large tot of Napoleonic juice and pray for the modern day equiv of Erica.

Busty Bloodvessel.

• Like 1