Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 08/03/2020 at 20:54, St Enodoc said:

I managed to build three points for the future Polperran fiddle yard.

Having checked tonight, by mixing and matching the new points with the rest of the recovered fiddle yard points from the old St Enodoc (plus the trial double slip), I think that with a bit of jiggery-pokery I now have all the points I need for the whole of Polperran. That will save some time when the branch extends beyond St Enodoc and has therefore confirmed my feeling that Polperran should get built before Pentowan (so quite by chance replicating, in reverse, the building of the original Cornwall Minerals Railway route).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

As if by a miracle, I've just discovered a long-lost branch of the Chacewater to Newquay line. Between Perranporth and Goonhavern Halt. It looks like it branches off the main line at Cocks Junction. I'm told it was built especially for the massive number of pilgrims who regularly go to Perranzabuloe to pay homage to the National Saint of Cornwall. After the liberation of Cornwall from the clutches of the Dutchy. Honestly though, who knew there really is a village called Cocks?

image.png.37b1d556834f147d0d68e7f9d4c05b5f.png

Shssssh, that branch is all very hush-hush as it forms part of the secret Treamble and Penhale military complex:

The "pilgrims" are heavily-disguised SAS members on their way to and from the nearby rocket-launching site, the openings of which are concealed within Caer Dane and Caer Kief and below the almost perfectly circular hill between Perranzabuloe and Perranwell...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Ah! Penhale, the army sent our workshop there to do some soldiery type training with guns and things. It was quite an eventful two weeks, starting off with a train journey from Salisbury to Truro, change at Exeter. On the bit from Exeter we had reserved coaches. Well this Wren officer joined the train and plonked herself in our compartment, she was quite pretty from memory. These days she would be in her 60s, overweight, 6 grandchildren and with 3 divorces behind her. One cannot live on memories, no matter how pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

One cannot live on memories, no matter how pleasant.

My whole hobby is built around the recreation of pleasant memories!  :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Shssssh, that branch is all very hush-hush as it forms part of the secret Treamble and Penhale military complex:

The "pilgrims" are heavily-disguised SAS members on their way to and from the nearby rocket-launching site, the openings of which are concealed within Caer Dane and Caer Kief and below the almost perfectly circular hill between Perranzabuloe and Perranwell...

I think M'Lady met some of those SAS and SBS folk while she was in the SCS (Special Catering Service) down in HMS Hades. But that's another story, and I'm sworn to secrecy, or at least until it's declassified later this year... 

By the way, make sure nobody mentions that the "perfectly circular hill" is related to some other top-secret places in Wiltshire. Here's one we prepared earlier. The landscaping on this one has slipped a bit in recent years, fortunately the ejectable "launch lid" is just still camouflaged by grass.

image.png.17865290f20385fd1c4071c58a93f18f.png

https://www.realmofhistory.com/2019/08/26/silbury-hill-the-largest-man-made-mound-in-europe/

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

60s, overweight, 6 grandchildren and with 3 divorces

Sounds like me except that I've got 7 grandchildren and only had one divorce...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I think M'Lady met some of those SAS and SBS folk while she was in the SCS (Special Catering Service) down in HMS Hades. But that's another story, and I'm sworn to secrecy, or at least until it's declassified later this year... 

By the way, make sure nobody mentions that the "perfectly circular hill" is related to some other top-secret places in Wiltshire. Here's one we prepared earlier. The landscaping on this one has slipped a bit in recent years, fortunately the ejectable "launch lid" is just still camouflaged by grass.

image.png.17865290f20385fd1c4071c58a93f18f.png

https://www.realmofhistory.com/2019/08/26/silbury-hill-the-largest-man-made-mound-in-europe/

To cleverly bring the thread back on topic, we have those sorts of man-made hills in Cornwall, near St. Austell.

I thank you :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

To cleverly bring the thread back on topic, we have those sorts of man-made hills in Cornwall, near St. Austell.

I thank you :)

They're mostly that colour now too, not like when I were a lad...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

My mental image of Cornwall is still the picture in the Ladybird Book, the Story of Rock and Minerals.   For the same reason that I still expect Kentucky to have literally 'blue' grass.

This books have a lot to answer for...

I just googled (other search engines are available) that title and I have to say that I find the cover image somewhat peculiar. If the china-clay picture is in similar vein then I can understand your final comment!

https://www.arranalexander.co.uk/the-story-of-our-rocks--minerals-vintage-ladybird-book-nature-series-536-matte-hardback-1977-5643-p.asp#

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I just googled (other search engines are available) that title and I have to say that I find the cover image somewhat peculiar. If the china-clay picture is in similar vein then I can understand your final comment!

https://www.arranalexander.co.uk/the-story-of-our-rocks--minerals-vintage-ladybird-book-nature-series-536-matte-hardback-1977-5643-p.asp#

That looks like a scene from Star Trek or is it Kent's Caverns in Devon....both are abnormal. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Today was distinctly autumnal with a chilly breeze and drizzle so I decided to stay in and do some more on the Line Clear indicators.

I fitted the switches and lamps to the point control panels at Paddington and Penzance and to the front panel of Porthmellyn Road signal box.

Here they are in sequence.

20200314003Paddingtonlineclearindicators.JPG.78aa17e337c2d12ec77d293336d7ee99.JPG

The Paddington "To" lamps are controlled by Porthmellyn Road so don't need a switch. The Paddington "From" switch controls the Line Clear Release on lever 49 at Porthmellyn Road while the "From" lamps repeat the switch position for convenience (in effect representing the Up Home signal). The lamp colours correspond to the normal direction of running. The indicators are higher than the top of the future backscene so will still be visible (at least to those drivers of median height or greater) from all around the layout.

20200314002PorthmellynRoadlineclearindicators.JPG.74bff66c05197658b1f8cab4e45f45b1.JPG

The Porthmellyn Road "From" switches control the "To" lamps at the adjacent stations and yards. Similarly, the Line Clear Release indicators for the section signals are controlled by the "From" switches at those locations. There are no separate "To" lamps. I've installed the indicators for St Enodoc even though these won't be needed for a while yet.

20200314001Penzancelineclearindicators.JPG.280788c52d5fcc3a0217df183499bace.JPG

Penzance works in the converse way to Paddington. You can see where I drilled an extra hole for a non-existent "To" switch by mistake.

The label positions are provisional. I can change them if I need to once we've had some experience using them.

I'll start the wiring tomorrow, although I'm still doubtful as to whether I'll finish it before next Saturday's running session.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

So trains from Paddington arrive at Porthmellyn Road after travelling through Penzance, and similarly trains from Penzance travel through Paddington before arriving at Pothmellyn Road.

I understand why of course, but... it does addle the brain a bit!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2020 at 19:24, Chamby said:

So trains from Paddington arrive at Porthmellyn Road after travelling through Penzance, and similarly trains from Penzance travel through Paddington before arriving at Pothmellyn Road.

They can, Phil, because the main lines form a continuous run and hence there is a direct route between the Down end of Penzance and the Up end of Paddington - if that makes sense! Normally of course, Down trains leave Paddington and pass through Porthmellyn Road on their way to Penzance, and vice versa.

The block plan should make this clearer. Down trains run clockwise and Up trains run anti-clockwise.

20150119001blockplandraft4namessmall.jpg.0a2399e33401427215f0f3e70851498f.jpg

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Well, if they expand Xross rail a bit and make use of the old tin and copper mine tunnels, there could be an underground link between Padd & Pz.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2020 at 11:59, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah! Penhale, the army sent our workshop there to do some soldiery type training with guns and things. It was quite an eventful two weeks, starting off with a train journey from Salisbury to Truro, change at Exeter. On the bit from Exeter we had reserved coaches. Well this Wren officer joined the train and plonked herself in our compartment, she was quite pretty from memory. These days she would be in her 60s, overweight, 6 grandchildren and with 3 divorces behind her. One cannot live on memories, no matter how pleasant.

Oi, some of us would tremble at the knees at the thought of such a catch...…..:bad:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, if they expand Xross rail a bit and make use of the old tin and copper mine tunnels, there could be an underground link between Padd & Pz.

You think there isn't one already...…….?

image.png.6892effafb6969cd8b9ad5d3e0b209d5.png    image.png.4179420c036f17bdf6d558874125d890.png

A. Lien

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's all via Bristol for the next couple of weeks anyway. 

• Informative/Useful 2