Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that John. I have a need for at least one of these and was hoping that either Bachmann or Hornby would deliver in the recent announcements. Sadly they didn't so I think this year I'm finally going to have to 'bite the bullet', learn to solder and build the Finecast kit!

Thanks again,

Andy.

Andy, how about an Airfix/Hornby body, with a bit of detailing, on a Comet Models chassis pack?

• Like 1

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Andy, how about an Airfix/Hornby body, with a bit of detailing, on a Comet Models chassis pack?

Hi John,

Yes, I had considered that possibility. It would save a considerable amount of time and effort. The problem is this that I'm not happy with the old Airfix/Hornby body. In contrast the even-older Wills (later South Eastern) Finecast kit features some exquisite white metal castings that can produce a model that captures the look and spirit of the large Prairies really well. It's precisely because your model of 5148 stood out as being superior to the Airfix offering that I asked about it. I imagine that it pulls rather well John given all the weight in that body?

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Yes, I had considered that possibility. It would save a considerable amount of time and effort. The problem is this that I'm not happy with the old Airfix/Hornby body. In contrast the even-older Wills (later South Eastern) Finecast kit features some exquisite white metal castings that can produce a model that captures the look and spirit of the large Prairies really well. It's precisely because your model of 5148 stood out as being superior to the Airfix offering that I asked about it. I imagine that it pulls rather well John given all the weight in that body?

Andy.

Andy, that's fair enough. No point ending up with something you're not happy with.

Yes, 5148 weighs about 360 g so pulls very well - which is why it is useful for the goods, as some of my wagons are not particularly free-running - but so does 4167, which has had weight added to bring it up to about 270 g (as well as still having the single traction tyre) to help it along.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hi John,

I'm under no illusion as to the challenge I've set myself. I've never successfully completed a loco kit in my life and my soldering "skills" are very much in their infancy. I'm thinking of starting a thread following the build when it happens. My bungling efforts should provide ample amusement for the many skilled proper model makers on RMWeb!  :laugh:

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Today's first timetable running session went exceptionally well - far better than I had expected in fact.

There were only three of us as unfortunately everyone else was at work today (shame!) so we decided to run through the sequence twice with a tea break in between.

For the first run Charles and Graham took up the throttles while I looked after both yards. We didn't worry about headcodes, tail lamps or marshalling the goods trains today - all those things can be introduced gradually as we gain more experience of the layout.

The first thing that we noticed was that the sequence sheets were quite complicated and also had quite small print. Both of these things were a consequence of using an "all purpose" sheet that was the same for everyone. At a later stage the sheets for drivers, signalmen and yardmasters will have different combinations of columns hidden so that only the information they need is visible.

We had to decide whether one driver would drive all the Down trains and the other drive all the Up trains, or whether they would just pick up the next train in the sequence once their current train had completed its journey. For the first run through Graham drove Down and Charles Up, but after tea we changed to the 'next train' method for the second run.

We came to the conclusion that the 'next train' method was better, not only because it avoided one driver doing nothing while the other drove three or four trains in the same direction but also because to be honest when there are more than two drivers the 'direction' method won't make any sense anyway.

The first run took nearly two hours and the second just over an hour. Part of this was due to growing familiarity with the layout and the sequence, but mostly it was because the drivers could be ready to drive the next train as soon as the road had been set.

Although we didn't try it, we felt that two yardmasters and one driver would also work well as with the basic initial timetable there is no real need for two trains to be moving at once.

This is partly due to the layout at the entrances to and exits from the storage loops. There is a short section of single track at each 'scenic end' throat so trains can only pass on the scenic section of the layout, after the single track has been cleared. Further, following the flipping of the loops, there is now a long (more than 4 metres) single track section that is used when a train needs to enter a set of loops from the 'wrong' direction. I was worried about this, but in fact during the session we realised that it doesn't matter as these sections don't need to be used in opposite directions. The only time that they will affect running is when trains are just circulating on the main lines, in which case there will always be a conflicting move when entering or leaving the loops. I can live with that, so the answer is 'don't worry and do nothing', which is reassuring.

The only other issue of significance was that it wasn't always easy to keep track of the sequence number of the current train. This will be addressed by having a 'next train' display visible to all, using a PowerPoint file that will advance by one screen after each train completes its run. The trigger for this will be an accessory decoder activated by a macro and whose output will be wired into a mouse. Today's experience means that I will have a go at making this work sooner rather than later now.

The fundamental question that I alluded to in an earlier post is how to identify the coaching stock sets. This is important, as some trains get remarshalled during the course of the sequence.  At the moment this only happens in the yards but eventually will happen at some stations as well. For today's session I stuck small post-it stickers on the roof of the end vehicles in each set, but obviously this isn't the long-term answer. Some options are:

- 'invisible' ink that glows under ultra violet light (although preliminary tests show that it isn't' all that invisible at all);

- putting the set number on the ends of the vehicles, rather as the Southern Region did; and

- don't bother but list every individual vehicle number in the sequence sheets.

At the moment I'm inclined towards the second option although the jury is still out.

Having said all that, how did the layout actually perform? Well, the stock behaved itself quite well, even the goods wagons (I had lubricated all their axle bearings on Friday, which definitely helped). On the layout we identified a couple of sticky point motors and one switch rail became unsoldered from its tiebar. Only one point gave us a persistent derailment problem. Examination revealed that one switch rail wasn't closing properly as the planing wasn't long enough. I will need to remove that rail, file some more metal off the back, and rebuild the point. Not a big job and one that I should be able to do with the rest of the point in situ.

In summary, then, a very successful afternoon that we all enjoyed and that left us all looking forward to the next time.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I had a look at the recalcitrant point yesterday and found that I didn't need to remove the switch rail after all. Some careful filing of the back of the blade in situ, together with some small adjustments to the position of the adjacent stock rail, seem to have fixed the problem. I have no doubt though that it will reappear as soon as anyone else comes to watch or operate the layout.

I also did a few odd jobs, such as reinstalling the Tregissey Siding buffer stop. I forgot to take a photo of this but it's not very exciting, so never mind.

Today I modified some C&L templates to reflect GWR/WR practice of having the crossing timbers perpendicular to the centreline of the vee, not the straight stock rail. I used the information in "GWR Switch and Crossing Practice" by David J Smith to guide me. Here is an A5R:

20170126001A5RtemplatewithGWR-styletimbering.jpg.88eb2ed264b7f37b54045c8b42d7b772.jpg

Although the finished result is not completely to scale, it certainly gives the right impression so I will use these and similar templates for the points on the scenic part of the layout, starting with the Porthmellyn Road Down Goods Loop entry and exit points. The entry point also needs to be curved, to match the infamous 12000 mm radius curve leaving Nancegwithey Viaduct.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Today's first timetable running session went exceptionally well - far better than I had expected in fact.

There were only three of us as unfortunately everyone else was at work today (shame!) so we decided to run through the sequence twice with a tea break in between.

For the first run Charles and Graham took up the throttles while I looked after both yards. We didn't worry about headcodes, tail lamps or marshalling the goods trains today - all those things can be introduced gradually as we gain more experience of the layout.

The first thing that we noticed was that the sequence sheets were quite complicated and also had quite small print. Both of these things were a consequence of using an "all purpose" sheet that was the same for everyone. At a later stage the sheets for drivers, signalmen and yardmasters will have different combinations of columns hidden so that only the information they need is visible.

We had to decide whether one driver would drive all the Down trains and the other drive all the Up trains, or whether they would just pick up the next train in the sequence once their current train had completed its journey. For the first run through Graham drove Down and Charles Up, but after tea we changed to the 'next train' method for the second run.

We came to the conclusion that the 'next train' method was better, not only because it avoided one driver doing nothing while the other drove three or four trains in the same direction but also because to be honest when there are more than two drivers the 'direction' method won't make any sense anyway.

The first run took nearly two hours and the second just over an hour. Part of this was due to growing familiarity with the layout and the sequence, but mostly it was because the drivers could be ready to drive the next train as soon as the road had been set.

Although we didn't try it, we felt that two yardmasters and one driver would also work well as with the basic initial timetable there is no real need for two trains to be moving at once.

This is partly due to the layout at the entrances to and exits from the storage loops. There is a short section of single track at each 'scenic end' throat so trains can only pass on the scenic section of the layout, after the single track has been cleared. Further, following the flipping of the loops, there is now a long (more than 4 metres) single track section that is used when a train needs to enter a set of loops from the 'wrong' direction. I was worried about this, but in fact during the session we realised that it doesn't matter as these sections don't need to be used in opposite directions. The only time that they will affect running is when trains are just circulating on the main lines, in which case there will always be a conflicting move when entering or leaving the loops. I can live with that, so the answer is 'don't worry and do nothing', which is reassuring.

The only other issue of significance was that it wasn't always easy to keep track of the sequence number of the current train. This will be addressed by having a 'next train' display visible to all, using a PowerPoint file that will advance by one screen after each train completes its run. The trigger for this will be an accessory decoder activated by a macro and whose output will be wired into a mouse. Today's experience means that I will have a go at making this work sooner rather than later now.

The fundamental question that I alluded to in an earlier post is how to identify the coaching stock sets. This is important, as some trains get remarshalled during the course of the sequence.  At the moment this only happens in the yards but eventually will happen at some stations as well. For today's session I stuck small post-it stickers on the roof of the end vehicles in each set, but obviously this isn't the long-term answer. Some options are:

- 'invisible' ink that glows under ultra violet light (although preliminary tests show that it isn't' all that invisible at all);

- putting the set number on the ends of the vehicles, rather as the Southern Region did; and

- don't bother but list every individual vehicle number in the sequence sheets.

At the moment I'm inclined towards the second option although the jury is still out.

Having said all that, how did the layout actually perform? Well, the stock behaved itself quite well, even the goods wagons (I had lubricated all their axle bearings on Friday, which definitely helped). On the layout we identified a couple of sticky point motors and one switch rail became unsoldered from its tiebar. Only one point gave us a persistent derailment problem. Examination revealed that one switch rail wasn't closing properly as the planing wasn't long enough. I will need to remove that rail, file some more metal off the back, and rebuild the point. Not a big job and one that I should be able to do with the rest of the point in situ.

In summary, then, a very successful afternoon that we all enjoyed and that left us all looking forward to the next time.

What no video?!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What no video?!!

Sorry Bogie, not this time. We were all so carried away actually to be playing trains that I don't think anyone took any video or photos. Next time I will make sure that Charles does. I've no idea how to embed videos on RMweb but Charles has his own YouTube channel so at the very least I will be able to add a link.

Hi John,

If you're looking to embed a YouTube video it's fairly straightforward.

When a video is opened up there is a drop down top right hand side as per my screenshot

post-20303-0-05821800-1485433450_thumb.png

Once you've clicked on the copy link icon you will have a link to said video.

When you wish to post on your ( excellent) thread go to reply with attachments and paste the saved link into your typed response.

You can then use the Preview Post radar button to see your posting / reply as per usual.

Hope that explains it.

ATB

Grahame

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

If you're looking to embed a YouTube video it's fairly straightforward.

When a video is opened up there is a drop down top right hand side as per my screenshot

attachicon.gifimage.png

Once you've clicked on the copy link icon you will have a link to said video.

When you wish to post on your ( excellent) thread go to reply with attachments and paste the saved link into your typed response.

You can then use the Preview Post radar button to see your posting / reply as per usual.

Hope that explains it.

ATB

Grahame

Thanks Grahame, we'll give that a try next time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another productive full day on the layout today - the final one before going back to work next Monday.

I had been looking, with the help of my friend Graeme in Queensland, at improving the arrangement of the "half-scissors" crossing at the Down end of Porthmellyn Road Branch platform, as the layout I had drawn up had the vees of the diamond and points too close together, with the result that derailments would be inevitable. After a couple of iterations we changed the B7 point next to the diamond for another A5. This has moved the vees far enough apart for proper checking.

Graeme very kindly drew it up in Templot for me, after which I printed it and set it out on the layout, where it fits very well.

20170127002PorthmellynRoadDownendTemplotlayout.JPG.fe2ac72c4696f6d9e0f81e01977f2d92.JPG

The third point from the left, where the tracks from the Branch and Loop towards the Down Main converge, is the new A5. The toe of this point and that of the point to the Chapel Sidings are now separated by two timbers rather than just one, which is another improvement.

All I need to do now is build it.

20170127001railbusatTregisseySidingbufferstop.JPG.24b12629efe0319813aa2ddae7b27ba6.JPG

This is the photo I didn't take yesterday, of the railbus parked up against the buffer stop on the new Tregissey Siding. As I said, it isn't very exciting.

I also had a look at the vertical alignment on Nancegwithey Viaduct, as recent running sessions had revealed a few unintended humps and dips. It turned out that one of the piers was slightly too tall, one was slightly too short, and there was a small step between the boards at either end of the viaduct and the viaduct deck itself. An hour's work with the spirit level, a saw and some Evergreen styrene strip packing has improved things considerably.

Finally today, the postman delivered these, just a week after I placed the order:

20170127003Fluxite.JPG.d002e119b4e5234caef766f9a056f011.JPG

Not bad service I think and I now have no excuse not to start building some more points.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Is the Fluxite the same as the stuff we knew and loved?

I haven't tried it yet Mike. I'll report back.

Interestingly, the tins have an expiry date on the label - 24/8/19. Based on recent discussions, I assume that will be 2119...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to work last Monday - new job, new company but the same sort of work, some of the same projects and many of the same clients. Plus ça change...

As a result, layout progress has slowed right down but last weekend I did draw up the plan of the revised Paddington point control panel. If I had left it the same length as now (610 mm) the additional tracks at the Down end would have meant either squashing them up or making the loops look rather foreshortened. Consequently, I have made the panel longer by adding an extra thickness of wood at each end of the frame, thereby extending the length by 38 mm. This will give a less cluttered look and feel to the panel.

20170204001Paddingtonpointcontrolpanelextendedframeopen.JPG.971041e1c1c0683ffa89d3ad5e8d0de5.JPG

There will still be plenty of room for the buttons at either end.

I have cut the front face to size as well, ready for marking out and drilling. Most of the buttons will fit without change but a few will need longer wires than they have at the moment.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

All the best in the New Job.

That panel really is the Dogs whatsits, CLEVER.

Thanks Andy. The panel is really quite simple, as by using DCC decoders for the points I can do all the route setting through the Mini Panel.

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes for the new job John.  It's a path I too am about to embark upon.

The railway is slowly and steadily coming to life and being able to run to something like a set timetable is a big moment.  I must admit to hardly ever having used my timetable but that also relied somewhat upon having a second operator which I have also never had on a regular basis.  As those here for the first time today would testify it's a huge layout to run single-handed - but it works.

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes for the new job John.  It's a path I too am about to embark upon.

The railway is slowly and steadily coming to life and being able to run to something like a set timetable is a big moment.  I must admit to hardly ever having used my timetable but that also relied somewhat upon having a second operator which I have also never had on a regular basis.  As those here for the first time today would testify it's a huge layout to run single-handed - but it works.

Thanks Rick. Good luck with your job search be it in rail, bus or something completely different.

Yes, it's a slow steady job moving the layout along but as I've said many times there is no rush. Once the layout is working to its full extent there will be two yardmasters, three signalmen and as many drivers as turn up. Originally that would have been a maximum of six due to the limitations of the NCE SB5 but now that I am using the PH Box the number will be limited by the size of the room not the system capacity!

• Like 1