I admit my first bike was a bit more basic, 

though I did later on, in my teens, have a couple of decent racing bikes (time trialing).
And for a few months a Dot Scramble motor bike,
then I went all Austin 7's, which I still have.

Sandy on Bike.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At least yours didn't sneak into the house! 

IMG_20201129_215214.jpg.37a35c41b980f6de4ba1a3e988019724.jpg

Nope it's used in mud n'muck which is what mine's designed for....

the last page will reveal all, well not all obviously its a family show after all ! 

G

Edited by bgman

23 minutes ago, Penlan said:

I admit my first bike was a bit more basic, 

though I did later on, in my teens, have a couple of decent racing bikes (time trialing).
And for a few months a Dot Scramble motor bike,
then I went all Austin 7's, which I still have.

Sandy on Bike.jpg

That sounds like a life well spent! 

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That sounds like a life well spent! 

Yes, cheap and cheerful...:jester:

Or to stay within the topic

Sheep and cheerful.....

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

......  Austin 7, ........, a "steam era" everyday motor,......

When I was the International Registrar back in the Noughties (what a horrible word) for the A7CA, there were around 9 - 10,000 still out there around the World. I think we have about a 75 in Cornwall.
Thus when I see A7's in model form, I often have to grit my teeth, but say nothing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Back when I was at school I used to go to the Austin Seven Club rallies at Woollaton hall Nottingham. We used to take the back seat out of the one of the '29 tourers and fill it up with stuff bought off the autojumble. I still prefer an autojumble to eBay to be honest! 

Not sure how many in our county, but there were at least three in my neighbour's shed, three more in my mum's cousin's shed, a Ruby that was a fifty year old oily rag daily driver and a shiny box saloon that was out every weekend and that was just two small villages. Like a lot of things though, by the time I was old enough, they had become unaffordable.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

My first car was an 18th birthday present. A Morris 8.

I thought I'd boast by going one better.

My father resisted buying a car until he was 24, also a Morris Eight, a Series E from 1946.

morris.jpg.0e6cdde176cf47bfda7b904c81bfc87c.jpg

I believe Oxford do both the 4 door saloon and 2 door convertible in 4mm and 7mm scales.

If you're handy at scratch building / kit alterations, take a 4 door saloon, 

modify the grille and bonnet and you have a Wolseley 8.

Wolseley_8_(1947)_-_15934698336.jpg.3d9bd759bf82f15c8ab5431206298a68.jpg

A different front end again and a little streamlining of the boot produces an MG YA / YB. All of these cars used the same body tub.

mg-y-saloon-black-03-6e99cd32.jpg.1d923c95a58e295eab79a1aa321ba2bd.jpg

Someone will now show me out of the box versions of these cars, beautifully weathered and sitting on their layout no doubt!

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

It was the 'discovery' of Hornbys J15 that originally started the ball rolling east........

It is a charming little engine. One of Hornby's best for sure.

I bought one when they first came in LNER livery and it was one of the sweetest runners I ever had, enjoy Rob.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, totally agree. Twin flywheels and all. 

Its lovely. I noticed someone on ebay is flogging one assembled from an etched brass kit, poorly finished and asking £249+

One arrived today at Chateau Sheep, not the example pictured, purchased brand new for the princely sum of sub-£67.

Even direct from Hornby, a BR late crest example is a smidge under £78, post free

What is not to like.....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3

Can't really complain about such a thing given the asking price. I have to say that I prefer the early pattern "Unicycling Lion" to the later "Ferret and Dartboard" logo.

The former image is more striking, it may be something to do with an occasional arty farty "less is more" puritanical attitude, or just because it's Wednesday...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I know I'm a heretic, but, honestly, both those little 0-6-0s really appeal not least because they are a bright and shiny black, and the red rods are a delight! Does no-one else appreciate that fact - or is weathering the Emperor's new suit of clothes, so you need to be there or be square?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It's all down to personal choice, Ian, isn't it?

I certainly like things when they're straight out of the box , all clean and shiny and new. Indeed, I have a display case that contains quite a few. If something is going to run on a layout and represent a working example then it won't be left clean at all. Even one that is being looked after and not long out of the workshop will have accumulated some dirt and grime.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/21347-peckett-w4-no-883-introduction/

Weathering is my new suit of clothes, but I haven't thrown away the old suit.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Link added.
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, bgman said:

I bought one when they first came in LNER livery and it was one of the sweetest runners I ever had, enjoy Rob

I saw a pair of 'em running on a friend's layout a couple of years ago and I very, very nearly started the process of considering a purchase for the Vale of Radnor Light Railway.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The J15s are lovely runners out the box but both will have a period of running in. 

On the subject of weathering, I see 469, red coupling rods, as having a cared for appearance but retaining a slight air of grubyness about it. In the condition modelled by Hornby it should also have a GER stovepipe chimney, but I am loathe to try and replace it........

464 , late crest  will be more distressed.  

Rob

Just checked Yeadons. 464 is recorded as receiving its late crest in 1957 following overhaul. It might therefore be left unmolested and we overlook the fact that it was a Stratford loco from 1942 until withdrawn 20 years later......

Edited by NHY 581
Added bumf
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I know I'm a heretic, but, honestly, both those little 0-6-0s really appeal not least because they are a bright and shiny black, and the red rods are a delight! Does no-one else appreciate that fact - or is weathering the Emperor's new suit of clothes, so you need to be there or be square?

Ah, red coupling rods! Like red stockings for a loco... :o

20210217_163753_copy_1600x849.jpg.b7df40bcfdbe790d408cb29b67edb783.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2