Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

The layout is really coming on now MM, the hard standing is looking good. Nice to see the depot in position, weathering looks very good.

Good purchase, I believe 37428 carried Large Logo livery into the early 90s, 1990/1991 may be? I have thought about having that one myself.

The 37 was a bit of an impulse buy having seen at Lord and Butler shop in Cardiff. Think that this is one that they weathered. Bit out of period for my normal modelling, but I like it, so what the heck ! Will get a run out when I take Orchard Road out next (middle April).

• Like 2

I've asked mother and she says she'll give me a lift so I'll be making my way up then, better than the 19 hours quoted by google from walking! I'll be more than happy to bring A Small Yard along if you're short of layouts as well

If it's alright with you, I'll bring the 56 again for it's yearly outing! 

Hi Richard,

Starting to take shape, the shed is looking great, also the refueling area is looking the part as well :-)

I see you placed a long parcel coach in the siding for scale, this is the same coach which I have a couple of.  As we discussed, that siding will be an odds and sods area, bit of clearway, general yard maintenance area, cables drums etc, should be great.

With regard to the the power supply, if you get the one I sent you the link for, you have the connector cable which can be mounted on the layout, cut and jointed as necessary, thus leaving the power pack and lead to be able to be 'plugged in' , perhaps you could drill a hole and have it mounted near to the controller connector ? I will leave it to you to decide :-)

Speak soon,

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I've asked mother and she says she'll give me a lift so I'll be making my way up then, better than the 19 hours quoted by google from walking! I'll be more than happy to bring A Small Yard along if you're short of layouts as well

If it's alright with you, I'll bring the 56 again for it's yearly outing! 

Hi Will,

I may take you up on the offer of the layout. Just need to work out how space I've got left, but there is a good chance!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Starting to take shape, the shed is looking great, also the refueling area is looking the part as well :-)

I see you placed a long parcel coach in the siding for scale, this is the same coach which I have a couple of.  As we discussed, that siding will be an odds and sods area, bit of clearway, general yard maintenance area, cables drums etc, should be great.

With regard to the the power supply, if you get the one I sent you the link for, you have the connector cable which can be mounted on the layout, cut and jointed as necessary, thus leaving the power pack and lead to be able to be 'plugged in' , perhaps you could drill a hole and have it mounted near to the controller connector ? I will leave it to you to decide :-)

Speak soon,

Jamie

hi Jamie

I'll get the power pack this week and look at best way of connecting up. I was thinking along the same lines.

The parcel coach fits in well on that siding actually. Does give plenty of room to shunt a few odd wagons into the siding.

Made a start on another building last night. Will get finished off before posting photos.

Coming on and looking fantastic Richard.

You'll have to come round for a running session !

• RMweb Gold

Ordered the ID back scenes today. Hope that these arrive at the weekend so that they can be glued in place, which will allow me to start building up the topography along the rear. Need to get on with the bridge though this week!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Made some more progress in the last few days.

The bridge is well under way and now onto the painting stage!

Backscenes arrived and look good. Had a few problems using the Deluxe Materials View Glue and to be honest disappointed with it. Anyway, glued the backscenes in place and will see how they look tomorrow when the glue has fully dried.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing the back scenes in place, I would have thought that EvoStik would have been fine for the glue, what was the glue supplied like ?

speak soon Jamie

I used Deluxe Materials View Glue for two of the back scenes and has not come out well! Will need to be replaced as there a quite a few creases. Very disappointed. Jamie, will email photos to you as don't want to show here.

The actual printed scenes look good though and have glued the two ends successful using diluted PVA and will be using this in future.

On the positive front, have painted the bridge and placed, but not yet glued, on the layout.

A couple photos from my tablet.

post-7854-0-98281600-1426421215.jpg

post-7854-0-03694100-1426421230.jpg

• Like 16

Hi Richard. I used wallpaper paste for my back scene. When it went one it looked awful but as it dried over night all the creases pulled out and the following morning it looked great.

Happy modelling

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for comments. I've also used wall paper paste before, with decent results and also used PVA before, again with decent results. Thought that I would try the "proper" glue this time. Oh well, lesson learnt!

Also, my laptop decided to pack up! At least a friend an get fixed for me!

However, made good progress today on another building, so at least can maintain progress on the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another successful and productive day in the garage!

Glkued the bridge down and then built up the polystyrene around the bridge. This has then been given a first layer of polyfilla.

Also cut the pipe to length for the fuel tanks, of which there are 6. Glued some 40 thou plasticard to one end and aim the trim these off later today.

Photos to follow tomorrow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The tanks are underway!

Roughly positioned on the layout, but not fully decided the best orientation at the moment.

Next step will be some bases and then a pump house.

Also, a couple of photos showing the bridge and ground works. Still plenty to do on the ground works to smooth out the surface.

post-7854-0-90956900-1427044401.jpg

post-7854-0-12255400-1427044415.jpg

post-7854-0-06258300-1427044424.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

The fuel tanks I think will look great, the water pipe do just the job, and the bridge and embankment looking fantastic. Cant wait to see more progress.

Thanks Ray.

After the previous debate about the diameter of tube to use and indeed the source of said tube, I reckon that this downpipe is about correct. Anyway we wanted to have 6 tanks and given the space, anything larger wouldn't look right. I made some bases last night and once I've done a bit of detailing work on the tanks themselves, will get glued to the bases.

Next will be add some pipe work and then spraying. Not sure at the moment whether to use a pale grey (possibly a little lighter than Halfords primer) or white (again Halfords primer). All the tanks will be weathered a little anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Coming on well Richard, the Tanks do look good as does the Bridge.

Thanks Andy,

Feels like its coming together now!

Apart from the problems with the back scene, I'm quite pleased with the progress and where the layout is developing. Pretty much as my mental vision. A few more things to get done, but I'll keep those developments "under-wraps" until I've something to show!

• Like 1

Hi Richard

Due to other distractions haven't been on RMWeb much for a while so only just found this.....

Its looking really good......Most impressive.....

Have added to my follow list.....

Looking forward to following your progress...

Cheers Bill