Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pete Waterman Collection of Gauge 1 and Larger Gauge locos to go under the hammer

Andy Y

Dreweatts & Bloomsbury have announced that some significant items from Pete waterman's collection will go to auction on 16th April. Having seen some of the items they really are rather special; the Castle would look rather splendid on a shelf in the office here but I think I'd need stronger brackets in the wall!

Click to enlarge each page of the press release.

PW1.jpg

PW2.jpg

PW3.jpg

PW4.jpg

The blurb is just a touch economical with the truth when it claims that "...never has an entire collection of this scale, quality and provenance been offered for sale....". You may remember a couple of years ago, a Swiss-based collection ("the Salem Collection") of large-scale engines, including what was thought to be the finest LMS "Duchess" ever made in 7.25-inch gauge, came up for auction. The Duchess itself went for 140 grand.

Dreweatts were the auctioneers for that collection as well - maybe they've conveniently forgotten that.

I think the prices of the 7&1/4" locos might be a touch optimistic, especially as there is no boiler history/ticket and untested in steam/running. IIRC a 7&1/4" Schools class with full boiler and service history as well as a proven track record of excellent running recently struggled to make £35K.

I'd love one of these locos but think I will stick with my Class 12 shunter.

• RMweb Premium

He was on radio 2 the other day saying that it is to finance the overhaul of some of his full sized locos. The bill for that lot he said was going to be over a million. He also said that some of his full sized ones will be up for sale too..

Andy G

Disappointed, no sign of a 1:1 scale Kylie in that lot.

Did you expect there would be one especially for you? I bet your head was spinning around in anticipation.

You should be so lucky.

Yes, you'll have to keep doing the Locomotion on your own, I'm afraid. Still, better the devil you know.

On a marginally more serious note, it was fitting that a couple of Mr Waterman's models above were built by a Mr Aitken.

• 1 month later...

He should have taken "steps" to list them on RMweb Buy and Sell it would be a "tragedy" for them never to be seen again (the models that is not Steps) he could have also saved himself a few quid on listing fees too...

• 2 weeks later...

... the Castle would look rather splendid on a shelf in the office here but I think I'd need stronger brackets in the wall!

Not to worry Andy, it comes with a floor standing pedestal.

The locomotive is being sold together with an unpolished and unglazed flooring standing cabinet. Length 305cm, Width 75cm.

Archived