Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Following my review of the all new SR Air-Smoothed Merchant Navy Class, '21C1' 'Channel Packet', stunning SR Malachite Green, here's a quick running session featuring the Merchant in action on Heavy Express Train.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling a rake of 8 Super Detail LNER Teaks with ease. 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_w2IYZZ1dA

• Like 4

I'm afraid this is a simple marketing ploy. If you look back you'll find that Hornby has done this many times in the past with specific liveries and individual identities. The reasoning is simple. "Give them everything they want, right away, and that's the end of your sales. Make 'em wait for the main attraction and there's a good chance they'll buy one of the less sought-after items first, just in case you never do the one they want, and they don't want to miss out altogether." It's cynical, I know, but that's the way marketing works. I want a BR era blue one. I could wait until it's available, or I could buy one of the forthcoming green ones and respray it, but as I want to see what it's like now, and I've waited 17 years for it, I'll have one of the early condition malachite ones now. (I do actually have a colleague who might buy it off me in due course). (CJL)

I have been waiting for 67 years for Hornby to produce an original Merchant Navy locomotive. I am pleased with 'Royal Mail' but I will buy a blue one if Hornby produce it. I was surprised that Tri-ang did not produce an 00 gauge original Merchant Navy after the success of the TT gauge 'Clan Line' but 'Winston Churchill' being lighter had a greater route availability.

I was surprised that Tri-ang did not produce an 00 gauge original Merchant Navy after the success of the TT gauge 'Clan Line' 

Possibly as Graham Farish had previously produced one in OO and it was not a huge seller. 

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

That would suggest the UK delivery is indeed on the boat. Only a solitary 35023 on the Hornby stand at Ally Pally today. A few of the Malachite ones available to buy though if that shade of green is your sort of thing...

Finally got round to taking some photo's of Royal Mail, detailing parts added (apart from the cylinder drain cocks)

attachicon.gif21c3_rhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif21c3_lh.jpg

And I couldn't resist taking a few shots with her sister Channel Packet

attachicon.gif21c1_and_21c3_fo.jpg

attachicon.gif21c1_and_21c3_lhexfan.jpg

I notice that 'SOUTHERN' and possibly '21C3' has a slight lean to it, particularly noticeable in the enlarged photos. My 21C3 (yes, I cracked and bought one!) has this as well. It's a minor thing though and barely noticeable on an otherwise splendid model.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

I notice that 'SOUTHERN' and possibly '21C3' has a slight lean to it, particularly noticeable in the enlarged photos. My 21C3 (yes, I cracked and bought one!) has this as well. It's a minor thing though and barely noticeable on an otherwise splendid model.

Glenn

I had noticed that myself, mine will shortly be gaining a new identity - 21C4 Cunard White Star. So I'm actually going to replace the entire number, not just the 4 and I may well replace the Southern too so there is a uniform colour match.

• Like 1

I had noticed that myself, mine will shortly be gaining a new identity - 21C4 Cunard White Star. So I'm actually going to replace the entire number, not just the 4 and I may well replace the Southern too so there is a uniform colour match.

I am tempted to do 21C5 Canadian Pacific and I see from a photograph that this definitely had the Gilt numerals; with a big 'C' and SOUTHERN lettering. I don't think I've seen a photo of 21C4, but would assume it had the same? The HMRS transfer sheet covers all of the permutations I think.

• RMweb Gold

I am tempted to do 21C5 Canadian Pacific and I see from a photograph that this definitely had the Gilt numerals; with a big 'C' and SOUTHERN lettering. I don't think I've seen a photo of 21C4, but would assume it had the same? The HMRS transfer sheet covers all of the permutations I think.

I've seen a photo somewhere, in one of the books I own.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has already been answered. The version of 35028 that is due and shown in the BRM Review by Mr. Muzz; is that going to be straightforward to adjust to represent 1957/8 condition (just pre the real loco's 'rebuilding/modification')? I think it will just involve the movement of the safety valves and possibly adjustment of the tender crest?

I ask as if it is going to be too difficult I shall not complete my pre order as it is not a loco I 'must have' and I am now really cutting out purchases of non essential (that sounds awful) loco's.

I may, of course, have missed the fact that the 'later' body type with SVs moved back to the firebox area, is due to be introduced as a later model?

Thank you.

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has already been answered. The version of 35028 that is due and shown in the BRM Review by Mr. Muzz; is that going to be straightforward to adjust to represent 1957/8 condition (just pre the real loco's 'rebuilding/modification')? I think it will just involve the movement of the safety valves and possibly adjustment of the tender crest?

I ask as if it is going to be too difficult I shall not complete my pre order as it is not a loco I 'must have' and I am now really cutting out purchases of non essential (that sounds awful) loco's.

I may, of course, have missed the fact that the 'later' body type with SVs moved back to the firebox area, is due to be introduced as a later model?

Thank you.

Phil 

If memory serves Clan Line is circa 1953 (with safety valves forward of the whistle)

I would suggest that if anyone is not satisfied that 'Channel Packet', 'Royal Mail' and 'Clan Line' fit in with the period that they are modelling they wait until next year.

By that time Hornby will probably announce a post war Southern, a blue British Railways and a green late crest British Railways Merchant Navy which will be less restricted in operation.

My main interest is the Swanage Railway where original Merchant Navy locomotives did not run. I simply bought 'Royal Mail' because it looked nice and would run with my pre-nationalisation wagons, my malachite green coaches and parcels wagons and possibly some LMS coaches for through running.

• RMweb Premium

Only slight problem with the late crest version is that only Clan Line carried it and that has already been used for the imminent early crest release. I would be very surprised if Hornby did the same name/number on two different models on the bounce.

Always thought choosing Clan Line for an early crest identity a bit odd myself.

Only slight problem with the late crest version is that only Clan Line carried it and that has already been used for the imminent early crest release. I would be very surprised if Hornby did the same name/number on two different models on the bounce.

From memory I think General Steam Navigation also sported the late BR crest albeit with a cut down tender.

As stated before in various threads, I'm actually getting really, REALLY,  R E H E H E A L L Y  tired of every time a new MN release is produced it seems sodding "Clan Line" is always present.

Once it a while it'd be nice to see "Clan Line" NOT be produced, and in it's place another "any" other running number <sigh> <yawn> <bored> <shoot me now>

Note/caveat: I'm looking for BR/SR so the two currently available, whilst nice enough, aren't something I'd buy.

Grabs tin hat and heads for the nearest bunker... :O

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I think Clan Line will always be a big draw for people. She seems to me to be the most high profile of the preserved MN's due to her use on the British Pullman, and that will inevitably add to her popularity as a model in any form.

• RMweb Gold

Pity they couldn't follow through with British India line, that said if the rumours are true, its owners retained its unique characteristics, but have chosen to paint it BR lined black !!!

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's Bulleid light pacifics have been produced with both locations for the safety valves, to suit eras and liveries, so there must be a chance they will do the same for the MNs.

There's opportunity to do late versions of all three series of Merchant Navy with their tenders in the cut down form... prior to rebuilding ;)

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Pity they couldn't follow through with British India line, that said if the rumours are true, its owners retained its unique characteristics, but have chosen to paint it BR lined black !!!

I think the Men in Malachite will be paying them a visit....