Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

Forgot. The crane has already been done by Wild Boar Models and very nice it is too. Oh and it's available now not in a couple of years time.

I saw the Wild Boar kit the other day that a friend had purchased and was disappointed by the 3D surface finish. Other wise it looked good, despite the lack of provision for EM or P4. No doubt the planned Bachmann version will kill it off, anyway.

I am also very confused. What happened to the wide selection of models that were confidently predicted on the Bachmann Speculation 2015/2016 thread. Did someone get it wrong?

Hardly any mention of the Blue Pullman pack when I thought many had thought that the moulds had had their day due to cost ????

My main buy will be two or three "31-379  2EPB 2 Car EMU No. 5771 in BR Green", what I can't understand is why the 31-379 catalogue number instead of an "A" suffix,  have they done something slightly different ?  EDIT :-  it would seem from the Bachmann site that the model is actually the "green with small yellow panel"  -  so I'll probably only get one.

I wonder if the lack of a "show stopper" is because of the extremely competitive market and that they will only announce a major item shortly before it is released ???

• RMweb Gold

I am also very confused. What happened to the wide selection of models that were confidently predicted on the Bachmann Speculation 2015/2016 thread. Did someone get it wrong?

Nearly everyone got it wrong, but isn't that half the fun?

John

Relevant products for my interest to come. The 45T crane likely to be very popular I should think, have to get on with building a model of an ex-ECJS/GN clerestory coach to go with it.

But apart from the C1 listed as 'in production' for the NRM, it looks like Heljan and Hornby have the more immediate ability to pick my pocket in 2015 and 16.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see green diesels with full yellow ends, thanks Bachmann. 

Indeed, good for the late 60s scene, but no diesel locos in all over green - I was hoping for a DC version of the EE Type 4 in green :-( 

Still, to be fair, there are a fair few all over green diesels due to appear later this year, so that'll keep me going :-)

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

94xx a nice choice, plus a couple of other new announcements. Nothing that really jumps off the page, so the Hornby MN announcement really did not have to be made so close to Bachmanns announcement as there was no limelight to steal.

• RMweb Premium

I saw the Wild Boar kit the other day that a friend had purchased and was disappointed by the 3D surface finish. Other wise it looked good, despite the lack of provision for EM or P4. No doubt the planned Bachmann version will kill it off, anyway.

Hi Jol

I think you are right about a RTR crane will do away with the kit. While I welcome the 45 ton crane, I do feel sorry for Wild Boar Fell as his kit looks fantastic. My freind has one.

• RMweb Premium

Shame there aren't any Bulleids on the list (coaches not locos!) but at today's prices, maybe it's just as well.

A U to go with the N would have been nice....... And a 4COR!

I'll probably get me a 94xx one day - not Southern of course but I like 'em - but that's about it really.

• RMweb Premium

My overall impression? What's with all the weathering... there seems to be an overdose of weathered locos and wagons this year. I wonder if some (e.g. the BR Blue 2-EPB and the Met-Cam units) are the current releases reworked to help sales.

And duplication - 32-353 BR 2-6-4-T 80135 in green as preserved been done before. Is this a mistake?

For the diesels there are now three unique livery versions limiting renumbering somewhat - 47256 in green with FYE with one cabside in a single colour plus 20141 in green with one blue engine room door to add to the already announced 25043 in green with blue grills. And will Bachmann get the other sides correct?

The Class 450 is a must for my son as he loves the livery. But I'm not sure the weathered version will sell - are they ever allowed to get that dirty? The 47/4 in Large Logo is also welcome, along with the reruns of Mk2A TSOs.

Otherwise, I suspect and am pleased that Bachmann has been more reserved this year in terms of all new models if it means they are attempting to clear the backlog. Reading the current state of progress with previously announced models, not all the delays seem to be in China but also at Barwell, where I believe the initial research and development work is done before China starts work on the CADs. Rather than what hasn't been announced, I'm more disappointed in the (very) slow progress with the Ivatt 2-6-2T chassis upgrade, the Class 158 and the Mk2f coaches in particular.

Part of me is glad that their is not a massive amount of new items, as my wallet is struggling to cope with my current pre orders as it is!!

Part of me is disappointed at some of the new items released.   The Deltic 'Pinza' in weathered finish....factory weathered finishes are generally rubbish.   I wanted the pristine one! Looks like my wait for a Deltic with white cabs in un weathered condition goes on, and on! lol

Love the look of the 47 Large Logo with no name!   At last a 47 that's un-named!

Some good new coaches too.   39-187 Full brake in Blue 'Newspapers' livery is welcome for those doing mail trains.   As is 39-175E, full Brake in blue grey without branding.  

Scene craft items....some nice new additions and platform furniture for the modern image modeller.   Glad to see 44-0034 Depot Crew room, will look good on my TMD, when I get it started lol.   Also I see we have the return of the single lane serving shed.   A popular re-release I am sure! Fuel Storage tanks, 44-016 is a nice addition to those modelling a depot.

I just wish Bachmann would get its act together with the 'new' items from 2013....ie the MK2F!   Will these EVER appear????   I didn't have any grey hair when I ordered these when they were first released.   Now I have grey and a receding hairline (possibly caused by the frustration of waiting on Bachmann to get them on the shelves!!).

And will the Class 158 re tool with sound ever arrive on a model platform near me?   Hmmm.

Overall, a conservative, but probably a more realistic selection from Bachmann.   As always I will await the release of items I have on pre order with excitement.

Check out my layout on my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/daveclass47

Strange, looking at the list, Looks like they are re releasing a lot of the there back catalog again.

I wonder if this is a way of keeping cost down?, as these models do not have to be made from scratch.

Bit disappointed  no  new SR loco's and no bulleid coaches on the list?, could really do with some new ones.

• RMweb Gold

Well well, a Desiro 450 what a nice surprise and two numbers so very happy as long as the weathering is subtle :) probably a Midland Pullman will probably batter down the resistance after I thought I'd been so good resisting and eBay prices being silly. Oh and a LNWR coal tank :)

The crane will be nice too.

A good range, but nothing as such has taken my fancy. Strangely this year I have spent more time looking at the prices!  :jester: With the soon to be released Autos at £68.95! :O  Plus any news on the NCB Yellow 04 and BR version? They are missing from the list? Though they where going to be upgraded like the Ivatt a few catalogs back? Have they been dropped? :scratchhead:

The Ivartt has been put back?, i wonder if it was to do with the fact they where going to do one of the 41290's, as i sent them an email saying that it would be wrong for this model,due to the fact all of the 41290-41298 where fitted with the taller chimneys.

They did have a mock up photo on there site showing 41290 with a short chimney. 

BR standard tank 80104 in Br late crest...

post-20657-0-77082300-1425312170_thumb.jpg

Just take my money now :D

Also, nice to see a 450 being added to the line up. See those quite regularly around here.

Going off to calm down...

Regards,
Matt

Well that certainly made things interesting. Id offer my congratulations to Bachmann on a varied and comprehensive range offered for the 2015/16 season and beyond. Its nothing short of irronic to note the howls of who bemoans the lack of choice, and forthcoming options (not to mention the absense of those decrying such talk) when situations are reversed. I was saying that region in particular is being crowded by selections and Bachmann without the Merchant Navy have avoided duplication. It still will be a curiosity to know, were they intending to release it or could it still appear next year. Note that they were apparently looking at J50 and the S15, with J72 maybe sharing the chassis and having been brought forwards or made more of the annoucement.

As I mentioned yesterday, I think Bachmann offer the broadest range across periods with the highest standard of consistency across their range too with this annoucement reinforcing their postion in areas they had expanded into. Chassis upgrades to move engines into the digtial market are welcome as this will be where the market is heading. The J39 model still looks very good, although it would be better if the chassis upgrades allowed tender connections, but this would increase costs. The Royal Scot for Midland fans is the same. The J72 is definately welcome with its new mechanism underneath. I do detect a clever use of the release to push the idea that the range is being maintained. The class 70 as a class 70/8 could have just been listed in the main range as having appeared as a re-run, but more is made of this - rightly so. Again, updates with chassis changes are made more of, but importantly the V2 getting a new tooled body also really shows that Bachmann have listened to feedback from the market and altered plans to suit. That is highly commendable of them and I look forward to the V2, as well many others.

Other things I predicted like a 156 are absent. The 158 and many other releases are still at the planning stages, which I take it is due to reorganisation mentioned with the statement. Bachmann can only resolve this as best they can, but given their history Im confident that excellent products would be brought to the market and that as such completely new tooled models are postponed to allow quicker developments to existing models to be brought to customers and maintain sales. The Desiro EMU, and class 70 show this, but they get over shaddowed by the release of the Blue Pullman.

Having said that the Blue Pullman would be expensive if it returned was always going to create a demand by delaying the product. This was for two reasons. Bachmann, very cleverly, have not released the model in its most desired form. Having done it in Grey and Blue and with full yellow ends, it has meant that those desperately wanting the model would buy a first release then still have pent up demand for the most popular form that has just been announced. The creation of a will they / wont they climate means modellers will definately buy this release, even with the price increase not to run the chance of going without. The price increase will be absorbed by the demand for getting the most popular livery to which the class is assosiated. Adding the limited edition box, and trappings further entices the offer. With Hornby going for the scheeming side to outsmart Bachmann, this has been a slow and steady case of setting up the audience by using press releases and years of planning to create the perfect climate in which to reap their rewards. Its excellent to watch and I have expected it from the start, when the first releases were announced and the popular one was not. Credit to Barwell here - absolutely first class in implimentation, planning and delivery.

Not done by answering that call, but Bachmann have gone for the newly tooled steam crane. Again, like the engineers releases for Modelzone, this is the transition period equivalent of the modern Network Rail yellow test train. Thus, expect to see everyone rush for the something different train to run past your ordinary stock. It looks enticing, will be popular and again caters for a demand that was expressed in wishlists.

Im also really impressed with the continued expansion of the buildings in scene craft. Considering this is an area Hornby were also arriving onto the scene first, Bachmann have overtaken them with the range they deliver. These buildings will be interesting to see, especially stations etc and for what time period etc. No doubt, Bachmann will have chosen well and areas not yet exploited.

While engines such as the J72 mean that theres a return to a old favourites in the Bachmann catalogue, the NER machine isnt the only one and 8680 in LNER will be a favourite by many to retire the split chassis version. Another is, 80135 a NYMR machine has already been modelled by Bachmann, but its return on the NYMR is expected this year. The re-release will be a popular engine, not just for its preserved condition but that its the only 4MT in green and you can bet some Western fans cant resist or thought there was some like that way back when and are caught out. Still, why not it looks gorgeous....

The J72 also shows a return to areas north of Doncaster and the release of the Black versions will no doubt spur those looking for the NE Region flavour on, hoping that BR standard 2MT, (which has Bachmann written all over it thanks to the Ivatt version) will subsequently follow. I do feel for others looking further north, modelling Scotland, but notice many will be very pleased with the LNWR coal tank allowing a nice small engine to appear alongside Bachmanns midland workhorses that have been announced over subsequent years.  

By announcing more than last year, Bachmann must be feeling more confident that distruption is easing and that plans are in hand to maintain their excellent reputation in the market. This release is a considered and pragmatic view taken to maintain their broad range and give releases that shore up the areas they offer products too. More completly new tooling will follow in the future Im sure, but this release does show Bachmann have acknowledges products that are wanted and delivering to consumers what they believe can be achieved efficiently without compromising the ethos and approach that have made them the market leader...

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating to see the "Desiro" announced - it being though that 4-car multiple units were too expensive, they go and do a five car one !    ( At least it means that a 4-COR isn't too unlikely. )

When did SWT add a fifth coach to the 450 sets? The 5 car units are the 444's.

Of the two main manufacturers, Bachman with its 94xx seems to be cornering the market for the smaller GWR engines (45xx, 55xx, 57xx, 87xx, 64xx and now 94xx), particularly with Hornby's offerings in this area being more than just a little long in the tooth.

and with some of the smaller suppliers picking up the remainders, at this rate Hornby is likely to be left out of the field for small GWR engines.

Archived