Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful news for us LNER fans about a new body for the V2. This feels like it is a brand new loco announcement rather than a new body only. Let's hope that they get the shape right.

At long last we will have a V2 to match the standards of the other LNER bigger locos whether Pacifics or B1s etc. They will sell by the barrowload. 

Well done to Bachmann for listening to the market and taking positive action!

I think the remaining new chassis- old body locos will be hard to shift for retailers.

No other news or comment from the conference such as why have so many products been delayed etc? Are the production problems over? How much of a price increase this year (although looking at Bachmann's site it looks approx. £10 per loco). Someone must have asked about the merchant navy? I believe this road show is lasting a few days is this the end of the announcements or are there likely to be more like last year when they delayed announcing the coal tank.

Cheers

Mark

At last, A nice new super detailed crane, That's a real lift for me, Thank you Bachmann....    

Hatton's have this up for £60.00 pre order, thing is will it be this price when they do come out, I have placed an order for one and will see if they stay at this price?

• RMweb Premium

I was only vaguely aware of Kader's factory reorganisation, so it's understandable that fewer new items have been announced this time whilst there's still a backlog of planned releases.

However I welcome a new J72, as this means I can retire my older version, my sole remaining example of this split-frame chassis type in my collection.

Good moves on offering a un-named large logo 47, and bonus points for choosing an example which didn't gain flush ends after accident damage - I checked images of 47436 on www.class47.co.uk

and a Desiro in SWT livery, I bet very much requested,

also reruns of steam in various guises - the O4 in LNER pre-1946 guise is a possibility for me.

Thanks for posting the new items, but i cant get excited about any of these as we wont see these for a couple of years, we are still waiting for items a announced a 2-3 years ago.

I was at the trade event last July and i was told 'this was a year of consolidation' so they could catch up on all the back log, I think this is a knee jerk reaction, because of Hornbys success in sorting there problems in China and getting items into our shops

DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH!

• RMweb Gold

Hatton's have this up for £60.00 pre order, thing is will it be this price when they do come out, I have placed an order for one and will see if they stay at this price?

They had the Hawksworth Auto-trailer provisionally listed at £42.50 and look where that's ended up. 

If the crane is going to be at all fully-detailed, I can't really see any hope of it coming in under £100, especially as there will be at least two more Chinese pay increases to factor in before it gets made. 

Even without a motor etc. it will be much more complex than most locomotives.

John

The Bachmann web site

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=339

shows a 108 DMU in all blue with DCC sound, but couldn't see this on the posted list.  That shows

Class 108 2 Car DMU in BR Blue (weathered)  32-981

Are there 2 108 models being released?

Also spotted a new decoder listed, 32-555 which is described as 8 pin 4 function, with 1 amp output.  Could be just the job for a couple of my older 8 pin diesels (and Heljan ones too!) so hope this won't be too long a'coming.

In paragraph 4 of post 98 above, you accuse Hornby of 'Scheeming' yet in the same paragraph praise Bachmann for holding back the most wanted version of the Blue Pullman to increase demand.  If that's not 'scheeming' i don't know what is ! 

Post 98 above just reads as though it's been written by Bachmann's marketing department trying to justify their existence !

So,  post 98 wasn't actually a press release from Bachmann after all? It sure sounded it to me. Actually, it sounded more like political rhetoric or spin. 

I thought the Blue Pullman that I bought, (which looks the same as the one just announced,) was the most popular livery and that that one with full yellow ends was the one that didn't sell well. I also don't remember seeing it released in grey/blue livery yet.  Did I miss something? The new release looks like the original release but with special packaging and extras thrown in for good measure. 

• RMweb Gold

Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 

Bachmann Branchline 30-425 Midland Pullman Train Pack £295 at a Liverpool store - cant be correct? For a Blue Pullman?

Bachmann have not issued a price for this train pack and Hattons have offered an estimated price which I feel is way off the mark but they do clearly state it is just an estimated price.

For the uninitiated, can someone tell me what the chronological order of processes is in the status updates? I don't think the order is correct. Does it mean the Class 90 hasn't been started yet? TIA.

Forthcoming items is not a category I have seen before in the magazines - in worst case I guess it could just be a marker - a pity as I had my eye on a Beachy Head before I expire. :O

No-one else has answered your question about chronology so to whip up some interest (or possibly apathy when you see the figures !!) My understanding is that the order is ....

Drawing Office/Design / Toolroom /  Eng prototype / Artwork / Livery Sample /  Production / Delivery ....  as a first rule of thumb I have estimated based on observation that one should allow around 2-3 months for each stage but there is a significant spread in each stage.

I have been tracking progress of those items I am interested in detail as advised by the magazines/retailers since September 2014 and for longer by announcement/order date since I first heard it was due and my estimate to date is that in the best case an item gets through the process in about 16 months - so far my worst estimate based on this is about 30 months (i.e. 2.5 years). So for example many items get through drawing office in 2-3 months - but the Webb Tank and the LMS Mogul have been there since at least Sep 2014 - i.e. 6-7 months !! I would guess speed through the early stages is to do with workload, and a mix of complexity and how much information is already held so for example ....

• Take the E4 - my notes say it was announced in May 2013 - it is now in transit - that will be around 24 months by the time I receive it
  • The class 43 were in the toolroom in Oct 2014 and are now in production they appear to be on a faster development track than the E4 - possibly because of previous class 42 experience. My guess is delivery in 3-4 months time
  • The USA Tanks were announce in Oct 2012, transferred to Bachmann in Oct 2013 and are now in the toolroom - so based on observation my best guess is delivery in 9-14 months time.

The disappointing one for me at least are the Birdcages - which now appear to have gone back into the Drawing Office having entered  the design stage in August/September 2014 (according to one magazine/update).

These estimates actually show Bachmann delays are in line with Hornby's - but their PR (on RMWeb at least) is obviously better. I  would be interested to hear other correspondents views on how they derive estimates of realistic delivery dates.

That's an impressive list, with something on there of interest to most people.

Truly a day for partying and rejoicing.

But one has to wonder if Bachmann are not biting off more than they can chew- given the amount of existing "forthcoming models" that they announced some considerable time back that still have not even an approximate ETA.

Still, it does show that Bachmann still plans to invest in this hobby and that is probably about the best indicator you can get about the sustainability of the whole thing at the moment. I just wonder whether I will live long enough to see some of their 2012/3 forthcoming releases.

• RMweb Gold

That's an impressive list, with something on there of interest to most people.

Truly a day for partying and rejoicing.

But one has to wonder if Bachmann are not biting off more than they can chew- given the amount of existing "forthcoming models" that they announced some considerable time back that still have not even an approximate ETA.

Still, it does show that Bachmann still plans to invest in this hobby and that is probably about the best indicator you can get about the sustainability of the whole thing at the moment. I just wonder whether I will live long enough to see some of their 2012/3 forthcoming releases.

I think my 'Beachy Head' may turn up in the same post as I receive Birthday congratulations from King William. :jester:

John (not yet in receipt of state pension)

Hi,

Well, one Class 450 will be pre-ordered in time, I'm not missing out on that!

One thing that not many people have picked up on is the fact that a 4 Aspect Colour Light Signal & a Banner Repeater are in the line up as part of the Scene craft range. If they make them working, great, particularly as not single British model manufacture has successfully developed a working modern Banner Repeater, however if they don't it would be a huge gap in the market that is only slightly filled!

Also in the Scenecraft range are products which have already been designed and printed by myself (well, a bit of self promotion never hurt anyone :) ), mainly the DOO Monitors and Passenger Information screens, will be interested to see how they get on!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

A Black V2 why would that sell in barrow loads?. Apple Green is the obvious livery , how many people model the war period. Handy to use as a base for a post war Black  A2/1 at best .

It shows that Bachmann made a poor short sighted decision to try and sell a new chassis on a old very poor body, they also intend doing the same on the V1/V3 which is no more than marginally better than the V2 . The only reasonable bodies in the new chassis connection idea are the J39 and the J72.

The main problem for Bachmann s that there are thousands of the V1, V2 , J39 and the J72 already . I wonder how many they will shift on the basis of  a new chassis and add to the problem their current prices as well ? . They would be better off selling the chassis alone for the J39 and J72 and a complete redesign on the V1/V3. 

For clarity I cannot comment on the LNER Black one as that is not my scene however my comment concerns the BR green one which is the major market.    

• RMweb Gold

I think my 'Beachy Head' may turn up in the same post as I receive Birthday congratulations from King William. :jester:

John (not yet in receipt of state pension)

With the current state of the manufacturers I fear that some of my pre-orders will be arriving in the reign of King George VII

Archived