Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Well I think it's a better program than last years much hyped Silver Jubilee. The 94xx is a sensible choice, but for me the highlight will be the V2. . I think the rest of it is pretty muted, and fits with my theory that Bachmann is very much on probation with Kader.Royal Scots and J72s class 70s all variants on existing models, as is the V2 No new wagons as far as I can see. Priced out the market? Or maybe Bachmann thinks not enough profit in them . Could be a change of strategy there. Haven't looked at any prices yet, could well make my eyes water. I have seen mention of a £68 auto coach , as if £59.95 wasn't bad enough. They really are pushing the boundaries now!

Interested to see the Blue class 108. Hoping it's got the roof head code boxes.

Lots of missed opportunities on reliveries. Noticeably no 45/46s

Noticeably no new DCC sound, also they seem to have given up on special DCC only versions, which is no bad thing, having fancied a GWR Bulldog but not bought because the version I wanted was DCC only. .

Hornby did steal their thunder with MN though. Maybe Bachmann will make an announcement next December as quid pro quo!

• RMweb Premium

Got three right in my prediction (Two 70's and a 66)

(Pity I've already got two modified 70/8's and 66434 though!)

Looks like I'll not be buying too many blue boxes in 2015/2016 as the only thing I'm really after is a 158 and the production of that seems to be affected by leaves on the line as it slides away............................

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Didn't take long for someone to offload a 70 repaint..... (probably better to wait for one with the cooler box and correct cabsides.............)

• RMweb Premium

You do realise this is a Farish 108, not a Bachmann OO gauge one!!

I see the n gauge one but there is a weathered blue one in 00 too thanks. Unfortunately it's yet another one with head code panel beneath windows not roof mounted. Do Bachmann not realise that people would buy these 108s and up in Sctland we would buy them and run them as 107s as well. Yes they are different but the Model Rail Strathclyde orange 107. (Really a 108) sold out. A blue one would be equally popular , but with Head code boxes!

No LMS Crimson compound either.

oops, missed the 00 weathered 108, it's not listed in the opening posts. I too am disappointed by the lack of 45/46's, and by the one off weathered class 40 with discs. An unweathered version would have sold well,  

Well the crane is welcome news. I wonder which preserved examples will be depicted. One of these exists on the Bluebell which I model and that is a must have.

I see the weathered Blue Grey CEP has reappeared. This had been part of a previous program but dropped due to lack of demand.

The 450 had been somewhat anticipated in ModelRail last year. I don,t really do 21st century classes unless they appeared in the southeast but will imagine this will be popular.

About time too for the 94XX. And after the lack of class 40s last year which drew some flak, it is good see some extra 40s.

The lack of prices on their website will make "nice to have" buyers refrain from pre orders I feel, and almost £70 for an auto coach has raised some surprises. If the birdcages cost as much, I'll probably drop a rake from the 2 sets I was initially after.

I'm surprised there no new rolling stock planned apart from the crane. The Bulleid carriages for example are seriously old now. Ever since DJM said there no money in rolling stock I have been fearing that it be just locomotives apart form a few bits. This just makes me feel I was right to fear...

• RMweb Premium

No new coaches or wagons apart from the steam crane. As ady77014 points out. I think this is significant,, maybe they can't make money on them at the prices/margins demanded by Kader. The Autocoach now approaching £70 is an example. Haven't seen prices off Birdcages but I've seen notes they are on high side

I'm surprised there no new rolling stock planned apart from the crane. The Bulleid carriages for example are seriously old now. Ever since DJM said there no money in rolling stock I have been fearing that it be just locomotives apart form a few bits. This just makes me feel I was right to fear...

I agree with you here, and you can back this up with the fact that they haven't even released the brand new LMS Porthole coaches in BR Maroon - the livery that is perhaps most synonymous with them! They are dragging their feet over the LNER Thompsons and the birdcages too, so I do wonder whether the days of new-tooling rolling stock - 'big ticket' items aside like the steam crane, inspection saloon and autocoach - are numbered. 

Never gonna get pre-nationalisation GWR coaching stock as this rate!

CoY

• RMweb Premium

I think it maybe more to do with the fact that Kader have had a bad period with factory upheaval, labour issues and have a big backlog of releases already announced. They're also having to cope with the same price inflation that has been troubling their major competitor. I think they're treading water pretty much but if they get back on top of production I think/hope this will be a temporary slow down.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. It seems austerity is at the heart of the Bachmann announcements. Yes, there is plenty of catching-up to be done as well - thinking of the Thompson corridor carriages here, along with lots of other models. Interesting to see a new body moulding for the V2; will, hopefully, be getting one of them.

Lets hope that prices will not ascend too far!

All the best,

Market65.

PS;I wish Bachmann all the best for the future, and hope that things will work out for them.

Interesting that Bachmann describe 39-312 BR MK1 Pullman Second Parlour (SP) in BR Blue & Grey as a Second Parlor when at this stage of their life the were reclassified as First Open. When Bachmann produced 39-001Z for Modelzone this twin pack was correctly described as First Open.

Anyway a great addition, I just hope it is not numbered E353E or E354E as these were the coaches produced for Modelzone

Another couple of new DCC chassis under old bodies...but still no sign of new chassis for the Manor! Or the Mogul come to think of it. Two of my favourite locos, I wonder if they will ever do them now. Glad to see there's nothing to attract me this year though as I can focus on my (frustrating) search for items released in previous years (maroon WR mk1s, 8750 late crest DCC ready, 4575 etc)

For all those people complaining about the lack of the Mk2F coaches I have heard from a reliable source that Bachmann wish these to be considerably better than the Hornby Mk2E stock, hence the delay to get them correct. There is a also good chance that they will be more expensive, so for anyone who doesn't really mind how inaccurate their Mk2 air-con stock is then please feel free to buy the Hornby Mk2E model.

Even better, buy old Airfix/Mainline/Dapol Mk2D coaches instead.

Personally I'll be saving my pennies for the Bachmann Mk2F stock but everyone is entitled to spend their money as they wish.

absolutely flood......those wanting super dooper aircons will have waited long enough (30 plus years?) so a little longer to get them bob on wont be too much of a hardship because if the basic model is flawed, then thats it for 10 or 20 years before someone comes along to correct them or get retooled.

i expect the standard to be right up there with that of the blue pullman trailers and prototypical lighting unlike the half baked effort from Hornby just lighting up the middle of the Mk2e's.

Blue 40 159 domino headcode- is that one of the few Haymarket machines?? great news for ScR modellers but i have to say the photo on the website does it no favours. the gap under the cab floor and the top of the bogies looks terribly large.

Surprised the Class 20 hasnt been awarded a retool.  

I suspect Bachmann are holding some other goodies back for later in the year..........i doubt the banner repeater is a fully working item.  i actually wrote to Bachmann to suggest such an item but the intention was for a working version-hopefully it is as this signal is not catered for.

• RMweb Premium

I am really shocked that their is no Class 20 retool!

Surely by the next time their are any products announcements either in 2016 or 2017 these will be on the agenda and are well overdue for an upgrade! How much longer can they put it off for. The Class 20 retool should have been done in 2013 before the London Transport Museum produced 20189 and 20227 as Limited Editions.  

• RMweb Gold

I agree with you here, and you can back this up with the fact that they haven't even released the brand new LMS Porthole coaches in BR Maroon - the livery that is perhaps most synonymous with them! They are dragging their feet over the LNER Thompsons and the birdcages too, so I do wonder whether the days of new-tooling rolling stock - 'big ticket' items aside like the steam crane, inspection saloon and autocoach - are numbered. 

Never gonna get pre-nationalisation GWR coaching stock as this rate!

CoY

If Bachmann find the prices being announced for highly detailed coaches won't "stick" there are only two options.

1. Just keep on making the old stuff and hope for the best. That wouldn't bother the "coaches are just part of the scenery" brigade who only really care about the colour but wouldn't go down too well with the rest of us who want more than just something to hang on the back of our engines. 

2. Make new and revised ranges to a simpler specification in the manner of the Hornby Railroad Mk.1s that they could sell profitably at prices that wouldn't frighten buyers off.

Option one would leave the door open for Hornby (and probably Oxford Rail) to exercise option two and carve chunks out of Bachmann's market share. The latter present a particular threat to Bachmann (a model company effectively owned by the factory) because, as a model company with their own factory, they have greater control over pricing policy. It is likely that Oxford will be willing to accept narrower margins (at least for a while) in order to build market share.

Option two is not wholly satisfactory for Bachmann; their coaches might have to be priced higher than the competition in order to make enough margin to satisfy their parent company. Accurate but simplified models priced at £30 or so would satisfy many but might still be slated as "too expensive for what they are" by others.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't? 

John

Well, it all looks good for Hornby. They seem to have more of a handle on what might be termed post-Sanda Kan production. 

Then I look at a Bachmann LMS Compound or even an 04 (which doesn't seem to sell that well) and realise Bachmann are still producing excellent models. 

Got three right in my prediction (Two 70's and a 66)

(Pity I've already got two modified 70/8's and 66434 though!)

Looks like I'll not be buying too many blue boxes in 2015/2016 as the only thing I'm really after is a 158 and the production of that seems to be affected by leaves on the line as it slides away............................

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Didn't take long for someone to offload a 70 repaint..... (probably better to wait for one with the cooler box and correct cabsides.............)

Haha I thought that earlier! All the crappy repaints will be on eBay shortly no doubt. I've leant Bachmann my own model, as I didn't fancy/have time to repaint another one. Hopefully it'll come back in one piece lol 

• RMweb Gold

I am really shocked that their is no Class 20 retool!

Surely by the next time their are any products announcements either in 2016 or 2017 these will be on the agenda and are well overdue for an upgrade! How much longer can they put it off for. The Class 20 retool should have been done in 2013 before the London Transport Museum produced 20189 and 20227 as Limited Editions.  

If they leave it as long as the coaches and some of the older steam-outline locos, I suggest you resubmit your request in 10 years time :jester:

The 20 retool (and others) will no doubt come in due course. It has to be said they're doing really well in the face of ongoing issues in China. 

Quality over quantity is the plan, and I was happy to hear that confirmed.

Archived