Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

That last pic is a gem!

Sorry, Keith - but you are simply going to have to buy this book. You may decide you need a very long shelf…...

Neither of the photos in Dave's links above feature, but plenty of others do!  Betty was a Class R4.

EDIT:  While I was typing, Dave was posting!  At least having the info twice is better than not having it at all!!!

post-17823-0-28878900-1425827783_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osgood

Whilst the Peckett might not appeal to anyone who's already built one, personally I think it's a good choice.

The one drawback of the Ixion Manning Wardle was the price (being a brass model) compared to the Hudswell Clarke.

The Peckett being similarly priced to the HC fills the demand for those wanting an 0-4-0 shunter similar to the Manning, but at the price of the HC.

Am I also the only one who's not fussed about the 08? (being in my thirties, I'm probably the target age group for one) and wouldn't have been remotely tempted had an 08 been announced by another supplier to rival Dapol's promises.

Will be sending an order form off tomorrow once I'm home from a weekend in Wales.

Cheers,

Andrew

An injection-moulded, painted, ready-to-run body with full rivet detail

Bah! plastic uggh! humbug.

Well what did you expect?

Still, I wish them well, we certainly need more to encourage the uptake of O gauge. Have to also commend the choice of prototype.

Am I also the only one who's not fussed about the 08?

No, not the only one. Some more imagination than yet another grotty gronk is required. Plenty of interesting industrials to choose from first. Edited by Kenton

And, I believe that the Australian Connection, is "Corby" seen here as preserved but unrestored. It is a Peckett, but not sure if it is an E class.

corby.jpg

Hi Martin, good picture there - have you got any other information on this loco and where it worked? 

No, not the only one. Some more imagination than yet another grotty gronk is required. Plenty of interesting industrials to choose from first.

I agree with that - there were some many other options available rather than another 08. 

That last pic is a gem!

Sorry, Keith - but you are simply going to have to buy this book. You may decide you need a very long shelf…...

Oh dear! Shall have a look out for that thanks. I think the cover photo is the same location as the photo in the Middleton Press book, taken from a different angle.

Keith

Edit: Book found on Amazon. Bought...!!

Edited by keefr2

I knew you would be disappointed Chaz and we were chuckling yesterday about how your favourite engine ran on the Great Western and even carried those noble words. However,  the choice of prototype is critical and an outside cylinder 0-4-0ST  seems to have been received well. There are some truly inspiring photos of the ex-Swansea Harbour Trust Pecketts trundling around the dockyards and streets of Swansea in the 1950s and early 1960s.

We will advise the running numbers that will be included on the brass fret shortly.  

We won't be doing the 08 as I'm sure it will appear from another promised place in due course.

Regards,

• Like 2

I knew you would be disappointed Chaz and we were chuckling yesterday about how your favourite engine ran on the Great Western and even carried those noble words. However,  the choice of prototype is critical and an outside cylinder 0-4-0ST  seems to have been received well. There are some truly inspiring photos of the ex-Swansea Harbour Trust Pecketts trundling around the dockyards and streets of Swansea in the 1950s and early 1960s.

We will advise the running numbers that will be included on the brass fret shortly.  

We won't be doing the 08 as I'm sure it will appear from another promised place in due course.

Regards,

Yes it's those pictures that's made me cave!! Black one for me

I'm sure I recall an article in the Railway Modeller a good few years back on building a chip shop, the inspiration being a photo of what I'm fairly sure was a Swansea 0-4-0st running on a narrow ledge past said chippy. Anyone (looking at Chris K here, since if I remember rightly he wrote the article! ) else remember it, and was it a Peckett? Would make a great diorama.

Aaaand in with the wishlisting already. Seems a little unfair when the existence of the company has been public knowledge for less than a day! Especially when it's all been done to death on the "what would you like from Ixion" thread in the 7mm section.

I know I'm biased, since this does meet my requirements rather nicely indeed, but I imagine Minerva will be running a "one engine in steam" policy as Ixion does and should they want suggestions in the future they will ask for them, but that won't be for a little while yet. While I'm sure this choice does reflect the interests of the owners one suspects that they've probably paid attention to the market research and noted that three people asking loudly and repetitively for the same engine does not necessarily make it more viable than a larger number of people going "yeah, I'd probably buy one of them", and as such have gone for a bit of a "jack of all trades". 

I'm suprised that no-one has asked if they can do it in N gauge yet though...  :P

Aaaannndd, no wish-listing on my part Brian, my comments were a convoluted expression of concern, which seems to have been missed (ie please read between the lines) :P, about the future of the hobby in terms of 7mm (RTR).

If Ixion and now Minerva have done their market research, and judging by Chris' successes to date I am sure he and his colleagues have, then those wishing to buy a kettle, of a mundane prototype, or even more exotic types, out number 'modern image' enthusiasts by a large extent. If true that could indicate that those that are following on, ie after the current 40-50 age group (roughly speaking the 'modern image' enthusiast demographic) are not all that many in number (ie those that want small diesels/diesels etc.). Most of what is wanted seems to be mundane prototype kettles - I am pleased for Ixion and Minerva having been a fan of Chris' work for many, many years - yet the market dynamics do cause some concern. Of course with advent of popularisation of Thomas The Tank Engine, the 40-50 age group could be 'custodians' of the hobby (especially the 7mm aspect) until youngsters decide (and there seems to be many who are/were interested in 'Thomas and Friends') to take up the gauntlet. I am being the eternal optimist in this view though, and I have the gut-feeling that there are not as many following on, into the hobby, especially 7mm, after the 40-50 yr olds, as we would like. Over recent years magazine editors, club committees have all expressed concern about whether or not we are attracting new recruits to the cause - of course this is not the 'duty' of the manufacturers, as they need to make profits.

As you mention though that doesnt matter to the 50-90 year olds, ie those who want to model steam era railways and that is understandable as its only a hobby and not life and death. There are issues with heritage railways and model railways at the present time, which were recently reinforced by RM et al in DVD's and editorials etc. - perhaps the zenith of model-railways, will, in the next 5-10 years, soon be over.

With experience of business, both practical and academic, I am fully aware of the state of play in terms of viable models, vs sales, vs profit vs sustainability, USP's, SCA's etc. :derisive:  

I hope that clarifies my previous comments and the points I was trying to raise :derisive:

Thanks for all of the compliments, good wishes and orders. We were well received at Kettering today and it always great to meet happy owners and potential owners. As far as Ixion is concerned, I remain a shareholder and its finance director. However, my two Australian partners are very keen to serve their home market in New South Wales and feel it is their turn to have some fun. As you will be aware, Ixion is working on a New South Wales Government Railways 32 Class 4-6-0, which should reach market later this year. Ixion will then follow up with some other Australian prototypes in H0 for the time being.

We will keep you posted on developments with the Peckett. It is being designed and built in the same factory as the Ixion models using the same motors, transmission and materials for chassis, superstructure and other parts. There will be ample space inside the superstructure for a DCC decoder and speaker and we are discussing a sound project with an acknowledged expert in the field with an excellent track record. Tool-cutting will commence next week. Obviously, we at Minerva are thinking about the next project too. Finally, never forget the sage words of Oscar Wilde who saidthat  he could resist everything except temptation.

Regards,

Chris and Chris. Or should that be Chris2?

Hi Chris, Thanks. I did wonder if the success of previous UK releases would indicate a new direction for you, glad to hear that you will still be involved with both companies - looking forward to your future releases, good luck with it all! :)

I would have thought it makes perfect sense to market directly.

This is a very small world, and Ixion (Minerva) have stamped their mark very successfully all over the market, and have established a very strong customer base and reputation. I would have thought that retailers are probably as much of a weak link to their efforts as a help, and that by taking control of the whole process, they are probably best able to maximise customer service as well as profits/low cost.

Certainly we all know where to buy the stuff from!!! I suspect they've thought it through and probably got it right......

Possibly Giles, but it depends on batch quantities and projected sales (and of course what the directors want from the company, in terms of profit etc - I seem to remember Chris mentioning that he wouldnt get rich from Ixion sales, which, I hasten to add, is in précis and not verbatim). If a company wants to sell to all, eg the GOG's 5000 plus members (not practically or likely) and those modellers of 7mm who arnt GOG members, then the company needs to appeal to the widest audience of potential customers and increase its chance of 'impulse' purchases by having 'product' in numerous model shops across the UK, ie 'duplication' of sales outlets and thus = more sales. As I mentioned previously, more margin can be maintained with a direct sales approach, however such seems to have hampered, to a certain extent, Lionheart. The other company with direct sales is of course JLTRT, yet their MO is, as far as I can tell, slightly different to Ixion/Minerva and Lionheart. 

Also with duplication sales/more outlets and larger batch runs, such benefits the punters in terms of numerous outlets and thus improves 'competition' and often pricing too....

ATVB to one and all,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Being 29 I can make a quick comment. I am predominantly diesel era, but that doesn't stop me having steam models, but they are mainly maiine locos and I enjoy the kit building side. I think the with the price of the hobby in 7mm and with more kit building/ modifying required may put people off and also with the diesel era has very little competion which doesn't help pricing etc like they do in n gauge and oo gauge, not to mention the lack of diesel prototype kits is lacking in the market with only one supplier for most of these but with a lot of the kits remaining the same for many years with no modifications or upgrades. Whilst this model isn't more me, I always commend and wish people well for producing lovely models.. You never know, a preserved railway scene with a little industrial loco may appear on a layout I will one day actually build.

Hope the venture works very well and all the best.

Regards

Edd

Edited by BR_Blue_1986
  • Like 1

I'm 35 and I model the late 50's and early 60's steam 70% diesel 30 % steam still has a romance about it I should be modelling the early 90's but I'm still drawn to a period 30 plus years earlier.

I've made up my mind and due to this loco a new project will start shortly

I'm not sure if I should be thanking the Chris's or cursing them ;-)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96889-swanse-east-dock/

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I very much like the look of this little loco but, lacking detailed knowledge of the prototype, would appreciate a little advice. 

There is a Peckett 0-4-0ST 'Pectin' at the Yeovil Railway Centre (currently undergoing overhaul, I think) which looks (at least to me) like your CAD drawings.

Is this loco an E Class? If not, can someone point out what it is and explain the differences.

Thanks

John    

Edited by Dunsignalling

John - before I put the works list away, PECTIN is a Class M5 - a smaller engine.  No 1579 built 1921, supplied to British Aluminium Fife (their No. 2 I believe).

Compared to the E's 3'7 wheels and 15 x 21 cylinders, the M5 has 2'9 wheels and 10 x 15 cylinders.

Some useful comparison photos here`:        http://www.martynban...ckett/locos.htm

Edited by Osgood

Maybe all these small O gauge engines represent what they are aimed at - a good place to start in O - small shunting layout with an interesting (not an 08) engine.

Buy a loco, build some SWB wagons, put down some Peco track and bobs your uncle.

• Like 1

I can't help but think that this sort of engine will tempt me to build a 'second' layout, very small with 'industrial' points and sharp curves, that would enable me to play with some of my enormous stock of wagons. In an ideal world, a portable piece of kit that I could take down to the living room and operate in preference to reading or watching mind-numbing ***** on TV. Whether I can get 'planning permission' for such a venture remains to be seen. I don't think it would need to take up much space, and in theory it could be quite pretty - in an urban grot sense of the word, anyway.

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 2

You would be surprised to see how many of the younger fellows are into steam rather thanmodern era diesel

You would be surprised to see how many of the younger fellows are into steam rather thanmodern era diesel

I know/I agree, it would be nice to know how many youngsters are getting into 7mm modelling - not sure if such was apparent in the recent GOG survey.

Being 29 I can make a quick comment. I am predominantly diesel era, but that doesn't stop me having steam models, but they are mainly maiine locos and I enjoy the kit building side. I think the with the price of the hobby in 7mm and with more kit building/ modifying required may put people off and also with the diesel era has very little competion which doesn't help pricing etc like they do in n gauge and oo gauge, not to mention the lack of diesel prototype kits is lacking in the market with only one supplier for most of these but with a lot of the kits remaining the same for many years with no modifications or upgrades. Whilst this model isn't more me, I always commend and wish people well for producing lovely models.. You never know, a preserved railway scene with a little industrial loco may appear on a layout I will one day actually build.

Hope the venture works very well and all the best.

Regards

Edd

I believe that we are very lucky to have the cottage industry that Jack Ray et al. helped to create, yet there is need for an overhaul of some aspects of such and the likes of Ixion, JLTRT et al are doing just that.

I'm 35 and I model the late 50's and early 60's steam 70% diesel 30 % steam still has a romance about it I should be modelling the early 90's but I'm still drawn to a period 30 plus years earlier.

I've made up my mind and due to this loco a new project will start shortly

I'm not sure if I should be thanking the Chris's or cursing them ;-)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96889-swanse-east-dock/

Its your hobby, Steve, do what you enjoy. In that past modellers of the steam era were modelling 20 years earlier (on average), yet that ratio seems to have stalled somewhat by my reckoning. To my mind the late 1960s-1970s was just an important an era as any other, perhaps more so, period of British outline railways.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Looks like the RH cylinder will meet that car soon!!! That is a brilliant photo. There is so much detail in it.

I wonder what the radius of that curve is? Do you have a minimum radius spec for your model Chris?

Paul,

We have specified 36 inch minimum radius capability. Being an 0-4-0 it traverse a tighter curve, there outside cylinders to consider. The overhang on the E Class is also substantial.

Regards,

Chris

I think the main issue with curves is likely to be buffer locking, assuming the usual 3 link couplings are used. I would suggest that anyone planning to go down to very tight radius curves would do well to do a bit of experimenting, as the ability of the engine to get around the curves is probably the least of it.