The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

The Railroad TTS 37 is also sporting roof horns and refurbished nose side grills on a supposedly unrefurbished split box machine.

It's a mess.....

Ive a ton of Lima 37's, and don't do Dcc sound.

Should these end in the bargain bin, I might give chance to a fleet refurbishment program, and palm off a bunch of Lima chassis fitted with dcc sound, the bodies...err vic berry's ?

• Like 1

It is not the first time they have matched refurbished parts of locos with non refurbished parts, the railroad 31 was also a mix of impossible combinations.

I assume that they have not successfully reconciled and dated which part of what tooling corresponds to when and on what prototype. Something that is a consequence of taking over tooling made in Italy and shipped to china. You would need an expert on the class with a spatial mind to look at each tooled part to determine what it is (and even then, probably do a few shots to see what pops out).

They are not alone here, Bachmann with their very own tooling have had serious problems in using the correct tooling parts for a Hall or Modified Hall looking at the last runs of each class.

...I assume that they have not successfully reconciled and dated which part of what tooling corresponds to when and on what prototype. Something that is a consequence of taking over tooling made in Italy and shipped to china...

I may boast in depth experience of this class of problem in manufacturing. Did Lima annotate or document the tooling combinations and if so how? Are all, most or some of these docs available and comprehensible? Is it possibly all inside the heads of Antonio and Giovanni? (The tools were never intended to be used outside the Lima organisation.) Are some of the tools lost, damaged or degraded making some of the permutations now impossible? There are many possible explanations, which Hornby will probably never reveal.

[Tangent] My prize war story on this front: directed to get a final batch of spares made for a product, from a heap of tooling transferred to the UK from Belgium. Documentation in a steel cabinet that had stood underwater judging by the rust stained heaps of paper sludge inside. Tooling corroded in places, and two of the machinery crates had either fallen off a truck or been run into by one. Gave my best estimate of the time and cost to evaluate what we had for feasibility of production, which was rejected as unacceptable, asked for one of the Belgian engineering employees responsible to provide key guidance. He was 'unavailable', and apparently had been the only one who knew anything. Then in a completely unrelated happening, was sent to the new centralised logistics facility (awarded one kick in the pants for calling it a warehouse) and there discovered sufficient existing spares to service the likely demand for a decade or more, that just hadn't yet been entered on the new sparing management system - because it was low priority as an 'end of product life' line. One of the best 'get out of jail free' cards in my career. [/Tangent]

• Like 3

... Then in a completely unrelated happening, was sent to the new centralised logistics facility (awarded one kick in the pants for calling it a warehouse) and there discovered sufficient existing spares to service the likely demand for a decade or more, that just hadn't yet been entered on the new sparing management system ...

When the dynamic new Kingfisher management team took over Woolworths they were appalled by the absence of any sort of useful stock system. They put one in. Among other horrors they discovered that, at the current rate of sales, they had in stock 104 years supply of lime green zips.

Of course, the private sector is always more efficient than the public...  :)

Paul

• Like 5

I may boast in depth experience of this class of problem in manufacturing. Did Lima annotate or document the tooling combinations and if so how? Are all, most or some of these docs available and comprehensible? Is it possibly all inside the heads of Antonio and Giovanni? (The tools were never intended to be used outside the Lima organisation.) Are some of the tools lost, damaged or degraded making some of the permutations now impossible? There are many possible explanations, which Hornby will probably never reveal.

[Tangent] My prize war story on this front: directed to get a final batch of spares made for a product, from a heap of tooling transferred to the UK from Belgium. Documentation in a steel cabinet that had stood underwater judging by the rust stained heaps of paper sludge inside. Tooling corroded in places, and two of the machinery crates had either fallen off a truck or been run into by one. Gave my best estimate of the time and cost to evaluate what we had for feasibility of production, which was rejected as unacceptable, asked for one of the Belgian engineering employees responsible to provide key guidance. He was 'unavailable', and apparently had been the only one who knew anything. Then in a completely unrelated happening, was sent to the new centralised logistics facility (awarded one kick in the pants for calling it a warehouse) and there discovered sufficient existing spares to service the likely demand for a decade or more, that just hadn't yet been entered on the new sparing management system - because it was low priority as an 'end of product life' line. One of the best 'get out of jail free' cards in my career. [/Tangent]

Reminds me of when the Italians took ownership of some German cruisers at the end of World War 1. Once they had used all the German ammo up and used specially made Italian rounds, the guns never fired accurately again. Unless the item is of rustic design, it is not easy to pass highly skilled and highly made items from one manufacturer to another. Especially if the two parts need to work together (I know Airbus has how had some amusing moments between affiliates).  The Dapol tool take was easy as it kept essentially the same factory (or in the same country), but I do feel Lima was not such a great investment in the end as Bachmann quickly leaped in to fill the gap in the UK with others on the continent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

They did say that they were taking a break on June 9th to prepare for the Great Central Railway Model Exhibition, but there wasn't due to be one on the 9th, there should have been one today. So I'm assuming they just muddled up their dates and the next one will be on June 16th, from the GCR show.

• RMweb Gold

They did say that they were taking a break on June 9th to prepare for the Great Central Railway Model Exhibition, but there wasn't due to be one on the 9th, there should have been one today. So I'm assuming they just muddled up their dates and the next one will be on June 16th, from the GCR show.

They also have families and perhaps it may have escaped your attention that this is half term week.Anyway the GCR event is on my patch and I look forward to meeting the Hornby team....and others....at Quorn in a couple of weeks time.

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the UK and I did happen to know it was half term ............ but I still had to work my normal hours last week ! ( If this is unusual, I'll tell my boss.)

Yes it's a shame half term doesn't occur for workers too lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby would do a lot better in business if they got things correct and released what they advertised.

What they advertised

post-27777-0-46818300-1498245259_thumb.jpg

What they actually released.

post-27777-0-33267400-1498245326.jpg

That's 10 packs of theses I won't be buying now.

• RMweb Premium

The bottom ones are clearly the Railroad ones as they have the older style chunky tension lock coupling, while the top ones are the more detailed main range ones with the slimline tension lock couplings. Same R code?

• RMweb Premium

Same r6828, top picture from Hornby site bottom one from Hattons.

Is it not possible that Hattons have simply uploaded the wrong photograph?  They are not infallible, they are human and do make mistakes with their listings sometimes.

I can't find the reference number of the Railroad version of the HAA 3 pack, but maybe it's an old picture they have used.

Everything I can see onilne says R6828 is the new fully detailed version.

More details on the differences are in the post here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70982-Hornby-railroad-range-r6606-haa-mgr-wagons/&do=findComment&comment=1151770

Moxy

Is it not possible that Hattons have simply uploaded the wrong photograph?  They are not infallible, they are human and do make mistakes with their listings sometimes.

I can't find the reference number of the Railroad version of the HAA 3 pack, but maybe it's an old picture they have used.

Everything I can see onilne says R6828 is the new fully detailed version.

More details on the differences are in the post here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70982-Hornby-railroad-range-r6606-haa-mgr-wagons/&do=findComment&comment=1151770

Moxy

The Rails photographs agree with the Hattons. The Rails photos illustrate the labels, which describe them as with canopies. Perhaps these are packed separately in the boxes.

• RMweb Premium

The Rails photographs agree with the Hattons. The Rails photos illustrate the labels, which describe them as with canopies. Perhaps these are packed separately in the boxes.

Fair enough, I hadn't seen the Rails listing.

Has anyone asked Hornby to clarify this?  Has anyone checked with the retailers?

Could anyone who has bought R6828 comment on what is actually in the box?

The point I was trying to make is some people seem to be getting rather upset on the basis of a couple of photographs.  If Hornby are selling Railroad models at fully detailed model prices, then I 'll agree there may be grounds for complaint, but until someone confirms the contents of R6828, I am prepared to give Hornby the benefit of the doubt.

Moxy

Edit : The Railroad 3 pack version was R6606 - no longer available.