The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

I just went back to check and saw it reads "some other HUGE H Class related surprises left,"  was it worded like that before? I could have sworn it was "a HUGE H class related surprise left"  multiple surprises then?

hmmm the Bluebell version and maybe some birdcages released a month earlier than Bachmann at £20 less? :P

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes I was wondering if it could be a birdcage. However Bachmann have had theirs under development for sometime, so It's been out in the open. Hornby surely wouldn't be daft enough to duplicate it. I'd have a chuckle if they did and it was substantially less expensive though!

• Like 1

I just went back to check and saw it reads "some other HUGE H Class related surprises left,"  was it worded like that before? I could have sworn it was "a HUGE H class related surprise left"  multiple surprises then?

hmmm the Bluebell version and maybe some birdcages released a month earlier than Bachmann at £20 less? :P

On the bluebell is an O1 and that uses a H class boiler!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm usually a big fan of Hornby however, why are they producing a 40yr old ex airfix collett 0.4.2??? There is a splendid model recently released by Dave Jones and Hattons, which you cannot compare with the Hornby offering. You can bet your life that this model with all the hype of the 60yrs guff will probably RRP alongside DJ's loco.

The maroon on the Duchesses looks very dark, maybe, the camera of it is correct. Just a thought !

New Pecketts welcome ( still too north for me personally unless the Peckett named after pre dreadnought fire tubes also worked next to pre Dreadnoughts).

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I'm usually a big fan of Hornby however, why are they producing a 40yr old ex airfix collett 0.4.2??? There is a splendid model recently released by Dave Jones and Hattons, which you cannot compare with the Hornby offering. You can bet your life that this model with all the hype of the 60yrs guff will probably RRP alongside DJ's loco.

One for the collectors to snap up and not for the modeller who runs things. Taking up a production slot of something of a better quality is my gripe here.

One for the collectors to snap up and not for the modeller who runs things. Taking up a production slot of something of a better quality is my gripe here.

Certificate says the model represents 1450 in preservation. Are they removing the top feed for this 'new' version????

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

The maroon on the Duchesses looks very dark, maybe, the camera of it is correct. Just a thought !

New Pecketts welcome ( still too north for me personally unless the Peckett named after pre dreadnought fire tubes also worked next to pre Dreadnoughts).

What criteria are you using in your observation on the colour ? All Duchesses were withdrawn in the early 1960's when colour photography was an inaccurate medium and its revamped interpretation in digital form of equally questionable accuracy.Most members of this forum have only such imagery to rush to judgement ...hence we now have the debate over maroon.

Hornby employ a highly competent r&d team and their research is exhaustive.They do take advice from knowledgeable sources and one of the areas showing a distinct improvement is that of paint finish. I trust them to maintain that standard with this forthcoming model.The current images are in any case pre-production.

On this forum,there is AFAIK only one member whose opinion and judgement on paint finish I accept and value apart from my own visual memory of Duchesses in their heyday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby Magazine says it is gonna be £45 so that's less than half the price of the DJM model.post-7482-0-61262600-1502393214_thumb.png

I'm happy to remove this picture if it violates any rules.

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1

What criteria are you using in your observation on the colour ? All Duchesses were withdrawn in the early 1960's when colour photography was an inaccurate medium and its revamped interpretation in digital form of equally questionable accuracy.Most members of this forum have only such imagery to rush to judgement ...hence we now have the debate over maroon.

Hornby employ a highly competent r&d team and their research is exhaustive.They do take advice from knowledgeable sources and one of the areas showing a distinct improvement is that of paint finish. I trust them to maintain that standard with this forthcoming model.The current images are in any case pre-production.

On this forum,there is AFAIK only one member whose opinion and judgement on paint finish I accept and value apart from my own visual memory of Duchesses in their heyday.

The photos of the real things I have seen may have been out colour wise. Then I have previous Hornby models of the Duchess, so I am not used to seeing it this dark so it was my first surprise. I have perfect colour eyesight and can mix paint to match any other colour perfectly - so anything I,m not used to seeing as such from memory instantly stands out. Of course with the new duchess having more colour verifications than ever, I,ll humbly accept all previous photos/models as being wrong and embrace my Ivatt Stanier with glee (well done Hornby).

Even if it was slightly out, I am not cancelling my order for the long awaited Ivatt version (long waited in the sense of in 50 years of there being an RTR Duchess, we finally have the Ivatt type portrayed in RTR. Hornby have done well getting the new version to us this quickly).

• Like 1

One colour photograph can be misleading, When you've seen hundreds of the same subject a picture starts to form - and none of the photos of either LMS Lake or BR loco maroon look anything like the pictures shown,

As to Hornby's exhaustive research, they struggle with Brunswick Green although there is an example of this on almost every preserved railway in the country.

• RMweb Gold
One colour photograph can be misleading, When you've seen hundreds of the same subject a picture starts to form - and none of the photos of either LMS Lake or BR loco maroon look anything like the pictures shown,

As to Hornby's exhaustive research, they struggle with Brunswick Green although there is an example of this on almost every preserved railway in the country

And so maybe you find difficulty in accepting that their interpretation of BR green has shown a vast improvement in their most recent releases....because it most certainly has.You appear to imply that you are able to make a judgement on colour representation based solely on photographic evidence.What of your own observations of Duchesses whilst they were in service ? Any thoughts ?

I certainly would not rely on colour images taken in the late 1950's and early 1960's...given the quality of both film and camera available at that time.

As to Hornby's exhaustive research, they struggle with Brunswick Green although there is an example of this on almost every preserved railway in the country.

To my mind, the maroon looks to contain too much blue and green and not enough red pushing it towards brown. Of course cameras can and do lie likewise you can have an optical illusion as the thing is scaled down change the colour too, not to mention lighting. The model being photoes in a studio with artificial light when the real thing had natural day light.

How people interpret colours is another thing as well. Some with equal numbers of colour light receptors will have a larger palet of colours to choose from than someone else's eyes whose eye sight is slightly biased (more focused) on one colour (they are not colour blind in the simplest sense, but will be if interrogated deep enough).

The final thing is how the brain interprets it. People may have perfect 20/20 vision but be totally incapable of using a stereo type range finder for example (something I had no problem with).

Some people are very good at smelling fine fragrances with their noses because they have both a sensitive nose and a mind trained to deal with it. The same applies to sound too. The latter I am poor being partly deaf (hence my enhanced eyesight) and consequently I am less sensitive to the failings of TTS steam sound that some others hear.

As I never saw the real thing nor any real paint samples, nor even the current actual model in the flesh, I cannot comment on the accuracy of the paint on these models. Memory can be flawed as can photoes and previous models. But all photos I have seen suggested more red and less blue on the BR maroon. It is possible that photographic film was more sensitive to red than other colours in the 60s (makes holiday picks look warmer and brighter for a start) which would certainly distort our impression.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Warley 14xx is a kick at DJH/Hatton's, and one for the collectors unless something has been done about the chassis.  The model is blatantly incorrect as it has a top feed which 1450 does not have in it's current, or later BR, condition in this livery.  Interesting to note the polished ring at the rear of the smokebox, very much an imitation of the DJH/Hatton's model.  £45 is cheap and cheerful, but still a bit pricey in my view for a model which, while it looks not too bad, cannot cut the mustard performance wise in the modern market and in fact is a highly suspect runner at best.  Look out for inflated price eBay offers post Warley ('rare, collector's, limited edition' etc).  Most of the 250 will never leave the box and for the sake of overall running standards that is probably just as well!

The livery does look very nicely done, that said, and the thing may make a candidate for a kit chassis.

• RMweb Premium

For £45 I'd have one as a layout runner given that the livery will probably be well done and it'll be a nice cheap n'cheerful model. The tooling is old and basic by today's standards but it looks OK on a layout.