The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Okay, 321* style logic progression time

'Keep 'em peeled' was Shaw Taylor's catchphrase on Police 5, famous police let's say Inspector Morse, he comes from Oxford so therefore its an endeavour to merge Oxford Rail/Diecast and Hornby.

(* Dusty Bin, Ted Rogers, early 1980's quiz show with totally baffling riddle questions for those not old enough to remember!!)

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

I hope that there isn't a merger between Oxford Rail and Hornby though or if there is then the Hornby prevails and just the Oxford name gets used for lower end products (e.g. Railroad etc) as I have been the owner of two Oxford Rail products, the Adams Radial was okay for the cheap price I paid for it in a clearance sale but not worth the RRP IMHO whilst the one wagon I owned for a short while was in my opinion so bad/inaccurate that I got rid of it pretty quickly and will not be darkening their door with my wallet for the foreseeable future.

I’m wondering if it is Oxford and Hornby link up. Have formalities been completed?

If Oxford has merged with or has been bought by Hornby there has to be a stock market announcement.

Edited by ndg910

It is good to see the Engine Shed returning back to "big announcements".

I do wonder what it could be.

I was intrigued by the running of a modern high speed train through tight crossovers at speed with the long carriages doing a very exaggerated 'wiggling' , can't remember if the video was on the Engine Shed or the site's general highlight offerings, but I remember thinking it weird and unlike anything kids in my era 1950s-1960s would have thought even remotely 'cool'.  Shows how out-of-touch I am.

typo edit  

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I was intrigued by the running of a modern high speed train through tight crossovers at speed with the long carriages doing a very exaggerated 'wiggling' , can't remember if the video was on the Engine Shed or the site's general highlight offerings, but I remember thinking it weird and unlike anything kids in my era 1950s-1960s would have thought even remotely 'cool'.  Shows how out-of-touch I am.

typo edit

I think it’s in response to reports of the class 800 derailing on curves , Rob. They probably posted that to allay fears . They seem to be fixing individual models where people are complaining but interestingly while they can post pictures of the train traversing curves , probably indicating they are aware of the problem, they’ve made no general acknowledgement there is a problem.

• RMweb Premium

Could the "ear to the ground" clue refer to something under the ground? Like the LT Underground or the Channel Tunnel Velaro? 

For all I'd love to see a good class 374 I think it'd be an expensive project and probably of limited appeal in this country, and of course it'd be the wrong scale for the French and Belgian markets. To be honest I'd rather see a good class 373 as I prefer the older trains but that's just me.

• RMweb Premium

I hope that there isn't a merger between Oxford Rail and Hornby though or if there is then the Hornby prevails and just the Oxford name gets used for lower end products (e.g. Railroad etc) as I have been the owner of two Oxford Rail products, the Adams Radial was okay for the cheap price I paid for it in a clearance sale but not worth the RRP IMHO whilst the one wagon I owned for a short while was in my opinion so bad/inaccurate that I got rid of it pretty quickly and will not be darkening their door with my wallet for the foreseeable future.

I think the problem with Oxford has been that there appears to be something of a disconnect between what they claimed they would provide and what they are providing. If they'd marketed themselves as a more economical alternative to full fat models then I think there would probably have been less negative comment for their products. However that's not how they're marketing themselves and so far at least their models whilst excellent in some ways have never quite seemed to cut it. The closest is probably the Mk.3 coach which is a bargain and superb for the price, but in all honesty if they tried to sell it at anything like Hornby or Bachmann prices I'd be less positive about it. There just seems to be a sense that the prevailing ethos is "that's good enough, that'll do", I do think there is a space for a lower cost tier of good models which lose some of the finery and bells and whistles though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m wondering if it is Oxford and Hornby link up. Have formalities been completed?

Neither party has (so far) suggested that such an arrangement is contemplated.

Given Hornby's well-known financial woes; if it were to happen, I'd expect it to take the form of Oxford buying up the wreckage.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I think the problem with Oxford has been that there appears to be something of a disconnect between what they claimed they would provide and what they are providing. If they'd marketed themselves as a more economical alternative to full fat models then I think there would probably have been less negative comment for their products. However that's not how they're marketing themselves and so far at least their models whilst excellent in some ways have never quite seemed to cut it. The closest is probably the Mk.3 coach which is a bargain and superb for the price, but in all honesty if they tried to sell it at anything like Hornby or Bachmann prices I'd be less positive about it. There just seems to be a sense that the prevailing ethos is "that's good enough, that'll do", I do think there is a space for a lower cost tier of good models which lose some of the finery and bells and whistles though.

The thing with Oxfordrail is that in terms of fitted details and general manufacturing quality, they are on a par with the others. They just do a lot of stupid oversights or assume certain characteristics.They seem to be missing someone capable of looking at the cads and saying "oops this and that is wrong".

In anycase a merger between Hornby and Oxford ranges will not go through the Engine Shed. That blog is to talk about developments Hornby Railways are doing so with "ear to the ground", what could it be? Someone suggested Underground. True only one RTR model exists of such a train and we could debate whether or not it will sell.

The only other ear to the ground I can think of are from cowboy movies, bring back out the Airfix cowboy train??? Personally not my cub of tea.

Could the "ear to the ground" clue refer to something under the ground? Like the LT Underground or the Channel Tunnel Velaro? 

............ or a sound chip for the point machine ??!? ( choice of hand lever sound, point rodding sound, pneumatic operation sound or electric actuator sound .... with the option of a facing point lock and/or treadle, of course )

• RMweb Premium

The thing with Oxfordrail is that in terms of fitted details and general manufacturing quality, they are on a par with the others. They just do a lot of stupid oversights or assume certain characteristics.They seem to be missing someone capable of looking at the cads and saying "oops this and that is wrong".

I think aspects of Oxford rail releases have been excellent, however they're let down by avoidable short comings. As the old saying goes, if you put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig, all the nice detailing in the world can't compensate for fundamental shape and design issues. I really think the problem lies with their approach to design. The factory is clearly capable of working to high standards of detail and finish but for some reason their design ethos seems to be that once something gets to a certain point they just sign it off as good to go at a point where their competitors would still see an awful lot of development work remaining to be done.

Oh yes I would have one of them to todays standards !

You're in luck.

Paul Isles put a photo on twitter of the Hornby team at Butterley a few months ago and you can see the front end of the the Princess Royal Class on the side of the photo.  It was also reported in either Model Rail or Railway Modeller (can't remember which) that the Hornby team had been measuring it so it's a matter of when and not if.

Edited by GWR8700

Ear...as in ear of corn.

Eyes as in spuds have eyes.

Both Agricultural crops  grown by farmers........

Farmers use tractors.

Tractor = Class 37.

Sorted.

I'll fetch me coat. :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Premium

On Facebook Hornby have set May 8th as the day for 'exciting news', perhaps it's more than just a product announcement...? And / or several additional products?

Drip feeding new announcements one by one keeps people's interest spiked, so I think one product at a time is more likely.

• Like 1

Drip feeding new announcements one by one keeps people's interest spiked, so I think one product at a time is more likely.

I have no problem with them announcing a new non-Corridor GWR coach one week, and another the week after, and a third the week after that 

Rovex (living in hope)

• Like 3