NEW Realtrack DMU

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium

I do not understand the need for all this being kept top secret, it is not as though Realtrack will announce a class 142 or class 156, then Hornby will announce a new class 142 or class 156, it would make no commercial sense to duplicate something that has been announced.

What like Hornby did when DJM announced they were doing the class 71?

Or the Q6, or the Adams Radial duplicated with Oxford.....?

Realtrack will have their DMU when it is good and ready.

Cheers,

Mick

I must be in a minority, as I prefere to know what's comming in advance, so I know if I want one and can save up the pennies for it. In today's limited run models, if you don't get them first time there is no guarantee that it will be reissued later. Having said that, I am still waiting for a early version of the 144 Charlie.

I must be in a minority, as I prefere to know what's comming in advance, so I know if I want one and can save up the pennies for it. In today's limited run models, if you don't get them first time there is no guarantee that it will be reissued later. Having said that, I am still waiting for a early version of the 144 Charlie.

Why don't you just save up the money anyway? That way, if it isn't what you want, then you've got something in the bank so to speak, for when something does come along that you do want...............

Realtrack have already said that if whatever the model is going to be, has an EP sample ready for Warley, then that's where we'll all get to see it first. So get your fingers crossed that Warley will see the announcement and not before!

cheers

Andy

I do not understand the need for all this being kept top secret, it is not as though Realtrack will announce a class 142 or class 156, then Hornby will announce a new class 142 or class 156, it would make no commercial sense to duplicate something that has been announced.

For example I have heard from many reliable sources that Bachmann have been working on a modern  generation emu for quite a few years now in oo gauge, that has not been announced yet, and it is not a mk3 based emu.

Certain people get told thing's, that are being worked on behind the scenes from other manufacturer's.

Certain people knew Bachmann had been working on a mk3 based emu for a number of years, then it gets announced the class 319 in n gauge.

QUESTION!   If you had laid out £140,000 would you 'Take that chance' ??????????????

DJ Models & Hornby did and :  2 X Class 71's, 2 X Q6, 2 x Adams Radials.

Sadly you are not making a convincing business case for us to tell all!   Arran & Charlie   

post-3411-0-77524300-1469987207.jpg

• Like 1

QUESTION!   If you had laid out £140,000 would you 'Take that chance' ??????????????

DJ Models & Hornby did and :  2 X Class 71's, 2 X Q6, 2 x Adams Radials.

Sadly you are not making a convincing business case for us to tell all!   Arran & Charlie   

Just to point out... DJM only announced a Q6, he's cancelled his OO gauge one and we don't know when the N gauge one will appear.

DJM hasn't announced or shown any interest in the Adams Radial, Oxford Rail have done one though.

Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

Charlie,

I think the duplication problem often arises precisely because people keep things under wraps for too long.

That said, given the great job you did with the 143, I think that many people would buy from you in preference to Hornby in case of a duplicate.

Charlie,

I think the duplication problem often arises precisely because people keep things under wraps for too long.

That said, given the great job you did with the 143, I think that many people would buy from you in preference to Hornby in case of a duplicate.

IF you know this industry then that in not quite correct, Bachmann announced at the same time as Hornby announced there B1, a Re-Tooled B1, they rushed it through to beat Hornby which they did!  Thus causing Hornby sales issues, most of which slowly build up to a crisis!!!!!!!!  (Hornby Today)

We cannot take the risk that everyone out there is 'Nice'   As I know business is not quite like that.  Honestly we need to up our profile without giving away secrets.

I makes sense for the smaller guys to work together,  Which we are.    Charlie

S

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

IF you know this industry then that in not quite correct, Bachmann announced at the same time as Hornby announced there B1, a Re-Tooled B1, they rushed it through to beat Hornby which they did!  Thus causing Hornby sales issues, most of which slowly build up to a crisis!!!!!!!!  (Hornby Today)

We cannot take the risk that everyone out there is 'Nice'   As I know business is not quite like that.  Honestly we need to up our profile without giving away secrets.

I makes sense for the smaller guys to work together,  Which we are.    Charlie

S

Back at the time of the B1, Hornby were using the same factories in China as Bachmann. Not a recipe for secrecy.

I think you are right that the two big players would not necessarily miss an opportunity to put a smaller firm in difficulties by issuing a duplicate. The key for you is to get enough of a lead to be sure of being first to market.

The case that seems most interesting is the 71. That does seem to have been a genuine accident of duplication but perhaps DJM should have guessed that Hornby would go there. Their Margate roots mean that there has always been a bit of a South Eastern bias there.

At the end of the day business is business. It's eat or be eaten! We all know that Charlie will produce something worth the wait so let's just be happy knowing that another fine model will be on the shelves in the near future. If you're worried about not having enough money to buy it, once it has been released, then just save up a few pounds a week and put that aside. If you like the model then you'll have the money ready and if you don't then you've got some spare cash to have a play around with. It's a win win situation. Keep up the great work Charlie.

Tom

Back at the time of the B1, Hornby were using the same factories in China as Bachmann. Not a recipe for secrecy.

I think you are right that the two big players would not necessarily miss an opportunity to put a smaller firm in difficulties by issuing a duplicate. The key for you is to get enough of a lead to be sure of being first to market.

The case that seems most interesting is the 71. That does seem to have been a genuine accident of duplication but perhaps DJM should have guessed that Hornby would go there. Their Margate roots mean that there has always been a bit of a South Eastern bias there.

Response from Bachmann Europe Plc

I would like to put the record straight on some of the  points raised above.

Bachmann had a B1 in their OO Scale range from 1994. This model had been conceived as part of the Mainline Railways range but was not released by them and the tooling was completed for Replica Railways by Kader who released examples between 1987 and 1993. It then became part of the Bachmann Branchline range with an improved chassis and was in the process of being reworked with a new chassis to DCC compatibility when Hornby announced their model in 2011. The DCC compliant model with a new chassis was released in 2011.

Likewise the BR Standard 4MT (75xxx) 4-6-0 has a similar history. It was one of the three original Mainline Railways locomotives announced in 1976 and released that year. After the demise of Mainline the model was released by Replica Railways in 1990. After the end of the Replica Railways / Kader contract this model too passed to Bachmann who produced a new chassis. This model became DCC compliant with a new chassis in 2008 and is in the current range. Hornby introduced their model of the 4MT in 2011.

Bachmann have in recent years avoided duplication where possible, although once the cutting of metal begins it is unavoidable. I would remind readers that Bachmann have worked on a number of projects including the Grange, J15 and J50 and chose not to continue with these when they were announced by others. A considerable amount of work had been done on the J15 with the full cooperation of the locomotive owners and operators who were not aware of any interest from any other manufacturer!

Bachmann has been undertaking a programme of upgrading from split chassis models to new chassis with full DCC compatibility. With over 80% of the OO range now DCC compliant work continues on bringing the other models into line. Currently the J72, J39 and Parallel boiler Royal Scot are going through this process, the V1/V3 2-6-2T and the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T have just completed this upgrade.

So to avoid any further duplication, I will reiterate that Bachmann are in the process of making all models DCC compliant and the programme of upgrading previous releases continues alongside new releases.

Hornby models were made in Sanda Kan which was purchased by Kader when it was in severe financial difficulty. In order to maintain confidentiality, Bachmann Europe were not party to any of the work being carried out at Sanda Kan for Hornby or anyone else.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Likewise the BR Standard 4MT (75xxx) 4-6-0 has a similar history. It was one of the three original Mainline Railways locomotives announced in 1976 and released that year. After the demise of Mainline the model was released by Replica Railways in 1990. After the end of the Replica Railways / Kader contract this model too passed to Bachmann who produced a new chassis. This model became DCC compliant with a new chassis in 2008 and is in the current range. Hornby introduced their model of the 4MT in 2011.

I thought that the Bachmann 4MT had a new body tooled up as well so that it wasn't just a chassis upgrade?

Edited by Ian J.

All I can hear is " BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH .......BLAH "

FFS, does it really matter when anything arrives? Just be glad that someone out there is willing to shell out the notes so that a new model will be with us! Hot air and froth get us nowhere.

Getting annoyed

Andy

• RMweb Premium

All I can hear is " BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH .......BLAH "

FFS, does it really matter when anything arrives? Just be glad that someone out there is willing to shell out the notes so that a new model will be with us! Hot air and froth get us nowhere.

Getting annoyed

Andy

Why the thread then? Personally I just get irritated by protracted threads like this with no substance whatsoever.

Of course manufacturers are entitled to work on something in secret, or not unveil forthcoming models until they're ready, but why post on a forum? I find it very similar to school children saying "I know something you don't know". Indeed there have been several posts say exactly that!

For me threads like this are counterproductive, I find the apparent baiting frustrating.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

HI All

Its not really the manufacturer that keeps these threads alive now is it.

Regards Arran

Oh I don't know, posts #109, 116 and particularly 125 seem to have done a good job.

You could say, well don't bother following the thread, however I do monitor it for the day, per the heading, the "new Reatrack DMU" is actually correct.

Edited by Legend

Oh I don't know, posts #109, 116 and particularly 125 seem to have done a good job.

You could say, well don't bother following the thread, however I do monitor it for the day, per the heading, the "new Reatrack DMU" is actually correct.

I'm with Arran!

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations, how long have you been going out together..................

Does Christine know?

If you are unsure - I can ask her at the weekend!

Which is a blatant plug for....

The St Andrews Model Railway Exhibition 2016

6th and 7th August 2016

St Andrews Town Hall

Queens Gardens

St Andrews

KY16 9TA

See more details here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/event/1604-st-andrews-model-railway-exhibition/

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 1

Why would they be holding their 2017 show in August 2016?

I know magazines are released a month early (I have never understood that either) but to hold a model railway show so early is beyond me!  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a suggestion - why not just lock the thread until theres something to announce ??

It is getting very tiresome and repetitive .......

Charlie and the Team will update us when there is something to update us on.

Edited by cambo74

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would be very interested in a Class 180 or a Class 185 because as far as I am aware. No one else has covered those model trains up to yet and it would add something different to the market.

In terms of the liveries, the Class 185 has only even worn three versions of the FTPE livery. But for the Class 180. There is a growing number to make that high speed DMU more viable and I will post the summary below.

The Class 180 Adelante

First Great Western (2000-2008)

Grand Central Railway (2009-present)

First Hull Trains (2008-present)

First Great Western Dynamic Lines (2008-present)

Northern Rail (2008-present)

GWR? (Not sure if this livery is real or not as I have only seen one in Train Simulator, so it might not exist in reality - I don't know)

Class 185

First "Barbie" Livery (2006 short-lived)

First Dynamic Lines (2006-present)

Trans-Pennine 2016 Livery

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/26142317756

So that should help if Charlie/RealTrack Models are looking to make a new DMU/Railcar for the OO gauge market. Also perhaps an N gauge model could be viable if there was enough demand.

• Like 1

The new Realtrack DMU is NOT a Class 142.

This following quote is from Class 142 upscaled to OO Gauge on the Dapol section of RMweb:

"Class 142!!  We are not announcing one (REALTRACK) but our 144 Chassis is designed with tooling inserts to do the 142 in both versions with different seats. We did this originally to save the cost of doing another chassis, so in the scheme of things we only have a bodyshell to do!  We thought that sensible.    Charlie"

Samuel.

Edited by sc2016