Hornby HST Executive livery possible error

Barry J

Collected my Hornby HST power car pack in Executive Livery today. First impressions were favourable, but something just didn't quite look right. Then it dawned on me... the "InterCity 125" detail on the loco side is in silver.

Now I appreciate that the memory can play tricks on one with time, but my memory makes me think this should be in white? Would be interested to know what other readers think?

Hi Barry,

I'm pretty sure they should be in white. That's the colour of the Fox Transfers version for this livery...

post-7247-0-41783300-1427404038_thumb.jpg

...and a quick google backs this up. Whether or not any were done in silver, I can't say with absolute certainty, but I don't recall ever seeing any in anything but white either and I did do some research into the livery when I resprayed mine. The InterCity Swallow versions (which just read "InterCity") were in silver. 

Cheers

Dave

As I suspected, it would appear that Hornby's recent track record of obvious livery errors has reoccurred once again. The "InterCity 125" logo on the model is definitely in silver and not the white as it clearly should be

• RMweb Gold

Barry can you post a photo :)

cos even in hornbys production shots its in white.....very peculiar.....glad i picked up a professionally repainted bodyshell for my swallow set now :)

Sigh.....even lima got that one right!!!!

Barry can you post a photo :)

cos even in hornbys production shots its in white.....very peculiar.....glad i picked up a professionally repainted bodyshell for my swallow set now :)

Sigh.....even lima got that one right!!!!

Agreed, pheaton. It looks white in the photos on Rail's website and the artwork on Hatton's site shows it in white too. Assuming it is silver on the actual models, there seems to have been a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line.

Hi,

I received mine on Wednesday, but due to a paint flaw I have sent it back....its now out of stock as they are selling like Hot Cakes!   However I have another on the way!   This livery has not been released for around 30 years, so we should be thankful that they've listened to consumers and have released it.   I lost count of how many 'product suggestions' emails I have sent them about this livery over the last 2-3 years.   So WELL DONE to Hornby for giving us what I (we) wanted.

My small concern with Hornby is not the tiny livery errors (although this is annoying), its with the QC to do with their paint jobs!   Over spray, fuzzing of paint lines, dust in the paint finish, finger marks etc all over the model. Also, what I have noticed on the HST's is inconsistent paint application on the yellow fronts/sides on the HST's....a good coverage of paint on the nose/cab area with a noticeably thinner coverage on the sides.

Some one in this thread mentioned that when it comes to 1980's liveries Hornby don't seem to try that hard.   Yeah that may be a criticism, but Hornby have an annoying habit of making small mistakes and then making not effort to hide/resolve these. The buffet roof profile on the recent Intercity Exec MK3 coaches was incorrect, they knew it was incorrect, but they still went ahead and produced it anyway!   They should have delayed it 6months until they had sourced the correct roof moulding.   

The silver lettering on the HST, whilst annoying for some is a not a deal breaker for me, but why do I feel the need to order 2-3 of each coach/loco that Hornby release, just so I can try and get one that is free from flaws?!  

Let me be clear, I am not Hornby bashing.   I think they do so much good for the Hobby and I am a massive fan of the brand.   No brand is prefect.  

Finally...I think my total spending on their products in 2014 would have paid the Gas/Electricity bills for their Margate offices for the whole year!!!!!!!  However someone needs to check their Quality control.    I now await the release of the large logo class 50's with black roof.   I am praying that these arrive in top quality finish. 

Here's a side-on shot of one I took at Bristol Temple Meads in '85. It certainly looks white to me in this shot and in every other shot I've seen of this livery on an HST power car. What is strange is that it looks white on all the photos of these models on both Kernow's and Rail's website. A photo or two from Barry and anyone else who has bought one would be good...

post-7247-0-68491000-1427466530_thumb.jpg

I dug out my earliest photo of one in the 'new' livery.

Is the writing in white? I can't really tell.

Maybe you can decide.

attachicon.gif100798 253xxx RG 27:2:85.jpg

That's the very earliest version of the livery, Jonny, with the writing in outline only, so it may be different from the solid version portrayed by Hornby.

That's the very earliest version of the livery, Jonny, with the writing in outline only, so it may be different from the solid version portrayed by Hornby.

Sorry. I have the knack of confusing the issue.

I think they are now called senior moments.

• RMweb Premium

RIP the "real" Reading station.

We've had Brutes from Bachmann. How about those ubiquitous luggage trolleys that you can see one of on platform 4A in the photo.

Oh, and I certainly don't recall seeing anything other than white letters on the HST PCs in the version of the Executive livery produced by Hornby. Silver came later.

• RMweb Premium

The Kernow images definitely seem to have White branding. Can the original poster add picture to show his silver branding? I personally don't see it. Even the 4 images on the Olivias site seem white.

http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Hornby-diesel-electrics/Hornby-class-43-high-speed-train/Hornby-r3271-class-43-hst-43021-43022-in-intercity-executive-livery/

Hi,

Just had a look at my ones I received today....the lettering is light silver.   It looks fine, but I understand it should have been white, as per the real thing.   Its a small gaff!, it doesn't detract from the lovely livery on these power cars.

Hi,

Just had a look at my ones I received today....the lettering is light silver.   It looks fine, but I understand it should have been white, as per the real thing.   Its a small gaff!, it doesn't detract from the lovely livery on these power cars.

Any chance of a closeup photo, Dave?

Cheers

Dave

I will post a pic when I have a moment, but it's definitely in silver. To confuse matters more, the image on the outer box has the logo in white!

For me personally, it's one of those issues where you look at it and think, "something doesn't look quite right". Then when you realise the issue, it's really irritating. I appreciate that from distant viewing that it isn't a huge issue... but when you line the loco up along side another model in the correct livery, it's pretty obvious.

On a model costing over £200 RRP it's just not good enough. For me, this is THE livery I have been waiting for on the Hornby HST and I'm thoroughly disappointed.

I'm on my way to Ally Pally for the show today and looking forward to asking someone on the Hornby stand WHY?

The highly detailed Virgin HST also has a glaring livery error. The red should come up to the bottom two roof grills but Hornby have painted it black instead. Strangely they got it correct on the cheap railroad version. Hornby really do need to take more care, after all these are expensive models not cheap toys!

I can also confirm, mine has silver lettering. When I first looked at the model I thought there was something a miss, but when I saw this forum I realised exactly what it was. Get it right Hornby, for £200+ you expect these things to be correct.

Can anyone help?....

Hornby seem to avoid naming their HST releases in the original Blue Yellow and later Exec liveries.   Which is a shame, as a fair few HST units were named!   In light of the recent release of Hornby R3271 in Exec Intercity livery, can anyone tell me of a website/book where I might find the history of the naming of the Class 43 HST machines?   If Hornby's latest release 43021 and 43022 were named I might like to get etched plates made up to fit to them!

Does anyone know where this information can be found?

Can anyone help?....

Hornby seem to avoid naming their HST releases in the original Blue Yellow and later Exec liveries.   Which is a shame, as a fair few HST units were named!   In light of the recent release of Hornby R3271 in Exec Intercity livery, can anyone tell me of a website/book where I might find the history of the naming of the Class 43 HST machines?   If Hornby's latest release 43021 and 43022 were named I might like to get etched plates made up to fit to them!

Does anyone know where this information can be found?

I looked for exactly the same information earlier this week.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the start of the Class 43s:

http://www.railuk.info/members/diesel/loconame_search.php?offset=600&number_in=&name_in=&order=number,%20named&dir=Next

You'll be disappointed though I'm afraid.

Archived