Hornby HST Executive livery possible error

Barry J

Here is a photo of ex-works 253 003: http://www.andysimons.co.uk/Photos/Railways/MUs/HST&APT/253%20003.jpg .

The infill is blue.

Here is 253 002: http://www.rcts.org.uk/photographs/archive/380/CH/CH06108C.jpg .

The infill is black.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was only the first two sets which had black lettering on the power cars.

Geoff Endacott

• 1 month later...

i spotted this in the modelzone area of WHSmiths today and the picture on the box seems to show the lettering in white not silver.   not sure if they all have the same boxes or whether the box is correct and the models error remains...... 

Yeah the boxes are correct, but the model inside differs!    Hornby are always at pains to point out that the actual model and the image shown may vary and are only used for illustration purposes!   Sadly its the box that is correct and the model that's not. lol

• 2 months later...

how are they in the wrong place? It is definitely one of the current releases and not an old one that someones fitted lights to themselves?

Older power cars have lights in different positions to refurbished ones, even if the newer ones have three lights each side. 

Older power cars:

Reds in the middle: https://flic.kr/p/bsjbEg

Refurbished power cars:

Reds in the inner-most position: https://flic.kr/p/9sd5d8

Same with marker and head lights:

Older (markers inner-most): https://flic.kr/p/cwsBd5

Refurbished (markers outer-most): https://flic.kr/p/9fECbP

You need the correct Hornby light channel to get these correct.

Thank you BR(S) and GordonC - the R3138 the mremag correspondent and I have, have Hornby-fitted lighting channels which are wrong.  It is a blue-grey power car which should have tail lights in the centre position of each group of three, but it has them in the inner-most position. 

www.mremag.com/index.php/letters-page/195-hys24-7-15 (scroll down a screen or two)

It looks like the newer light channels have been used but with the old grilled front which is a separate fitting (instead of the newer light channels feeding to the new light clusters moulded onto the body).   

Anyway, I'm planning to change the light channels and add red LEDs to fix this, but just wondered if we had an oddity or it affects other R3138s?

Thank you BR(S) and GordonC - the R3138 the mremag correspondent and I have, have Hornby-fitted lighting channels which are wrong.  It is a blue-grey power car which should have tail lights in the centre position of each group of three, but it has them in the inner-most position. 

www.mremag.com/index.php/letters-page/195-hys24-7-15 (scroll down a screen or two)

It looks like the newer light channels have been used but with the old grilled front which is a separate fitting (instead of the newer light channels feeding to the new light clusters moulded onto the body).   

Anyway, I'm planning to change the light channels and add red LEDs to fix this, but just wondered if we had an oddity or it affects other R3138s?

I'd appreciate details on what you do with your lights as I have a couple of power cars that need doing.

I've looked at various things to use as a light channels but haven't found anything suitable.

Hello BR(S),

I'm planning to partially use the existing Hornby light channels but use both for the white headlights and marker lights (so I'll have to replace the red LED on the PCB with a white one) and then use Express Models lighthouse red LEDs for the taillights.  I'm away quite a bit over the next few weeks but I'll report back or set up a new topic on progress.

Having looked at the photos of Hornby's offering here, I hasten to add that I am pretty sure that BR didn't have raised moulded lines down the front corners to help their paint shops get the livery on straight.

I know that can be sanded down- but that means a re-paint...

And as for the exaggerated line between the main body and the fibreglass lower cowl. That's barely any better than their 1980's attempt.

Personally I'd suggest that these are no better than the 1980/90's Lima PCs.

(with apologies if anyone has already raised those two points)

• 1 month later...

I recently bought this liveried pack, and, having read many of the reviews of this model's features, especially the considered error of the 'white' Intercity imaging, I had a look at my purchase, checking that same imaging. Quite right, it does seem to err towards silver writing. However, looking at it from a neutral point of view, I have been left thinking that this is, perhaps, not a bad thing. That, perhaps, Hornby has deliberately done this to dumb down to what could possibly be a garish whiteness that could, possibly, unbalance at scale, the more gentler hues of the beige, grey, yellow and red inclusive within the livery. Now, this is my opinion. I am a recent traveller into this HST domain, and, at an advanced age, spending my youth in the steam era, my opinions may not run alongside the tracks of younger enthusiasts. Within nine months of enjoying this HST culture, I have acquired about 15 HST models (12 boxed and as new). It is not perfection that I look for within my collection, only the R type and year of production, being a collector rather than an operator. Perhaps we should realise that we are free to purchase what we desire, whoever manufactures the models. If a certain manufacturer's models do not reach your standards, then, you are free to look elsewhere. The easiest job lies within the critic's brief - the hardest part, is meeting up with his expectations. It is so easy for, we the public, to be judgemental on someone else's efforts, when we, ourselves cannot produce the goods. With this comment, I say a silent prayer to all those involved in trying to bring to us such wonderful creations.  

I recently bought this liveried pack, and, having read many of the reviews of this model's features, especially the considered error of the 'white' Intercity imaging, I had a look at my purchase, checking that same imaging. Quite right, it does seem to err towards silver writing. However, looking at it from a neutral point of view, I have been left thinking that this is, perhaps, not a bad thing. That, perhaps, Hornby has deliberately done this to dumb down to what could possibly be a garish whiteness that could, possibly, unbalance at scale, the more gentler hues of the beige, grey, yellow and red inclusive within the livery. Now, this is my opinion. I am a recent traveller into this HST domain, and, at an advanced age, spending my youth in the steam era, my opinions may not run alongside the tracks of younger enthusiasts. Within nine months of enjoying this HST culture, I have acquired about 15 HST models (12 boxed and as new). It is not perfection that I look for within my collection, only the R type and year of production, being a collector rather than an operator. Perhaps we should realise that we are free to purchase what we desire, whoever manufactures the models. If a certain manufacturer's models do not reach your standards, then, you are free to look elsewhere. The easiest job lies within the critic's brief - the hardest part, is meeting up with his expectations. It is so easy for, we the public, to be judgemental on someone else's efforts, when we, ourselves cannot produce the goods. With this comment, I say a silent prayer to all those involved in trying to bring to us such wonderful creations.  

So well said!

I think that's a more acceptable error because to me the slats still look right. Only problem is when I wanted to remove one of the slats to represent the oil tap the ER cars had fitted I didn't know where to put it! They seem to be in different places on different power cars too.

http://ukrailways1970tilltoday.me.uk/EastCoastHST43310in2009.jpg

It's not an oil tap, its a tap that was fitted so could you can tell when the auxiliary coolant tank was full when top the coolant up. 

Several of the early power cars not only had the inside of the Inter City 125 in black but the blue background was black, not many escaped Crewe like it.

Al Taylor

While you could be correct and I do agree that we have free choice to buy or not to buy. The problem that arises is that the Hornby HST is the only game in town for a RTR DCC model and at the current price, silly errors like this can be avoided. This said it is something I can live with and have one on my Christmas list :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I received an executive power car set today. I was aware of the faults from this page. When I opened the box I was impressed with the overall livery I forgot all about the silver lettering. When I added it to the track it was then I noticed it glinting in the light. A minor distraction and one I can live with. Very pleased with this set. Just need a swallow set.......or two !!

I still think the HST, for all its great detail, still looks like it is squashed on the nose. There is subtle curving on the real thing that doesn't seem to be portrayed on the current one.

Although it lacks detail, the old Hornby version captured those curves better, as did the Lima.

• 7 months later...

Just found this thread I've been out the game a while and can't believe finally Hornby have done my favourite livery !!! I gave up and I've missed it.

There was a few variations of the Executive livery but they never had silver letters also a note to Hornby swallow or swift livery is not executive livery.

The lower band light grey , the red stripe and the dark grey where not the same shades of paint on the two liveries officially but both ended up being mixed up from time to time even some swallow / swifts receiving the old exec grey over falcon grey.

The original executive livery was perfectly portrayed by Lima with the extended yellow ad upper top grey band over the grills. This version had hollow letters on one set but the same livery was applied to another set with solid white letters.

The more well known "revised executive livery" as portrayed here mostly had the solid letter style but also there is another issue some had the dash - between others didn't This can apply both liveries I believe. I have tones of photos somewhere.

Inter City vs Inter-City

Personally I think this was the best livery ever to grace the HST it looks mean and stylish with elegance too.

I hope I'm not too late to buy a full set of this livery I'll be gutted if I missed it after waiting all these years.

Migh sell my APT

Cheers Rob :)

Just found this thread I've been out the game a while and can't believe finally Hornby have done my favourite livery !!! I gave up and I've missed it.

There was a few variations of the Executive livery but they never had silver letters also a note to Hornby swallow or swift livery is not executive livery.

The lower band light grey , the red stripe and the dark grey where not the same shades of paint on the two liveries officially but both ended up being mixed up from time to time even some swallow / swifts receiving the old exec grey over falcon grey.

The original executive livery was perfectly portrayed by Lima with the extended yellow ad upper top grey band over the grills. This version had hollow letters on one set but the same livery was applied to another set with solid white letters.

The more well known "revised executive livery" as portrayed here mostly had the solid letter style but also there is another issue some had the dash - between others didn't This can apply both liveries I believe. I have tones of photos somewhere.

Inter City vs Inter-City

Personally I think this was the best livery ever to grace the HST it looks mean and stylish with elegance too.

I hope I'm not too late to buy a full set of this livery I'll be gutted if I missed it after waiting all these years.

Migh sell my APT

Cheers Rob :)

I like this livery too, PCs often on eBay and I just got a full set of Mk3s from bure valley models for them!

Archived