Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

The plates were made from the ones supplied in the Coopercraft 4-plank kit. I removed the existing numbers with a scalpel (using salami tactics). This left a rough surface, smoothed first with wet and dry and then covered in 2 layers of varnish to even things out before applying the numbers. The numbers are from the HMRS LSWR/SR transfer sheet (still too thick but the best I had). The result is not crisp but they look better in real life than here.

You could be right about the red roofs - I simply tend to go for "weathered grey" when in doubt  :)

PS: The solebar plate is also from the Coopercraft from the kit, but with the top sentence cut away to make it all fit - not very noticeable.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I just love the roof profile.

Thanks Ray

Me too :) That's one of the nice things about Iron Minks. I like the overhang too, it's all a bit old world. I've used the bought-in roof from MRD, as described earlier in this post

My photo was actually taken on a very hot afternoon in Venice.  The cat seemed pleased to have found the shade of the lamp-post, rather than chasing around in the heat.

Sensible cat!  Knowing those Venetian pigeons, if it did have a go at them, they would probably have ripped it to shreds!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Glaedelig Jul to you and your family Mikkel.

Most enjoyable modelling once again from you and also very informative thank you.

Grahame

Mange tak, Grahame! My new year's wish is that you will start a thread so we can see some more of your superb modelling.

(OK, I admit I have other wishes too!  :laugh: )

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

Mange tak, Grahame! My new year's wish is that you will start a thread so we can see some more of your superb modelling.

(OK, I admit I have other wishes too!  :laugh: )

Thanks Mikkel, admittedly I'm tempted to start a thread ( O Gauge early GWR naturally ! ) but I fear it may go downhill rather quickly if you know what I'm like !!!   :crazy:

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

Thank you for your good wishes, I hope you have a happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Thanks Chris, we celebrate on the 24th here, so the main event has now come and gone. A few days off ahead, ie this is where xmas really starts!

A nice selection of turn of the (20th) century wagons.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks SS, and merry christmas to you also! Yes I think I have enough wagons for the turn of the century now - must get on with other projects now! 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mostly PW work going on at Farthing at the moment. I've built these 4mm GWR point levers, originally from the Southwark Models range, now available from Roxey Mouldings. They appeared around 1900 and can be seen in some sidings, yards and sheds of the period. There were two types and the kit allows for both. I chose the simplest type.

25988293318_83487378ed_c.jpg

I chickened out on the soldering, these are small critters. Gel type superglue worked fine though.

28081969599_cf1640f8a6_c.jpg

The only issue I had was with the weights, which are built up from layers. They do need opening out, and the handles need slimming down to accept them properly.  As you can see, I struggled a bit with this - but I doubt it will be noticeable when they're all done. The gentleman here illustrates the size.  

38962805295_661234ab14_c.jpg

So all in all a nice little kit, and not too time consuming, they took an hour or so to do. With soldering and wire, a bit of further detail such as bolts can be achieved.

38962805165_d49fb2073c_c.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 14

A very useful posting Mikkel, do you happen to know whether they are available in 7 mm ?

Grahame

Please ignore the last part, I've just looked and yes they are ! :)

• RMweb Gold

"Jim ponders the fun he can have with the two neutron incapacitor ray guns sent from head office on the overnight mail....."

Rob.

post-14122-0-44362000-1516773218.jpg

• RMweb Gold

"Jim ponders the fun he can have with the two neutron incapacitor ray guns sent from head office on the overnight mail....."

Indeed. Yet another highlight in the long line of brilliant GWR inventions. Others include the Wright-Marrillier partition locking bar...

IMG_1473xbc.jpg

...the fail-safe pigeon basket...

002.jpg

...and a bunch of wagon brakes.

24637866037_03111a33d3_c.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Maybe you should build one of these now Mikkel. I have to paint it yet, and round off the handles a touch.

Also from the Southwark Bridge range. I enjoy advanced origami.

Regards,

Craig W

You've got a great finish on the coin, very realistic.

• Like 2

Hello Mikkel,

I'll hijack your thread an repost this from your blog with the picture.

To review:

With a “composite clerestory” to do as part of a circa 1907 formation, I thought I would do it in the 1903 for something different. Its not quite finished but here it is.... or it would be if I could figure out how to attach the image!

It started as a late Margate LNER clerestory composite, so the body moulding is a little crisper but with the odd buffers (replaced with my last set of Triang buffers). Lower footboards have been added and the bogies are in the process of being made into something more like Dean bogies.

Body colour is Humbrol No.10 Service Brown; drop lights and bolection mouldings are Humbrol RC403 Crimson Lake. Transfers are HMRS Pressfix, and all varnished with Humbrol Satin Varnish. Footboards are Humbrol 93 Desert Yellow. The roof is actually grey with brown on the rain strips and clerestory sides, but looks more overall grey in the picture — possibly due to the matt varnish and poor lighting.

post-28209-0-93673200-1516820134_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure I would do an entire formation, but one brown clerestory could be justified.

Dana

Edited by Dana Ashdown
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Maybe you should build one of these now Mikkel. I have to paint it yet, and round off the handles a touch.

Also from the Southwark Bridge range. I enjoy advanced origami.

Regards,

Craig W

Ah now, that's a little work of art. Very tempting, although I did plan to use the barrows on this etch  from Langley Models (of all places). Not that they can quite compete with the Southwark ones.

38981956915_3c5a61eb4c_c.jpg

While on the topic of nice little etches, I can recommend these handwheels from 51L (also available from Peters Spares - usual disclaimer). Other sizes are available, and gauge dials too.

28100850519_50581c8645_c.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mikkel,

I'll hijack your thread an repost this from your blog with the picture.

To review:

With a “composite clerestory” to do as part of a [/size]circa 1907 formation, I thought I would do it in the 1903 for something different. Its not quite finished but here it is.... or it would be if I could figure out how to attach the image![/size]

It started as a late Margate LNER clerestory composite, so the body moulding is a little crisper but with the odd buffers (replaced with my last set of Triang buffers). Lower footboards have been added and the bogies are in the process of being made into something more like Dean bogies.

Body colour is Humbrol No.10 Service Brown; drop lights and bolection mouldings are Humbrol RC403 Crimson Lake. Transfers are HMRS Pressfix, and all varnished with Humbrol Satin Varnish. Footboards are Humbrol 93 Desert Yellow. The roof is actually grey with brown on the rain strips and clerestory sides, but looks more overall grey in the picture — possibly due to the matt varnish and poor lighting.

attachicon.gifShort Clerestory, 1903 Livery.JPG

I'm not sure I would do an entire formation, but one brown clerestory could be justified.

Dana

And I thought Marsh Umber was the new black!

Very interesting to see the all brown like this Dana, it makes for a much more stylish appearance than I would have thought - but then I was probably influenced by the notion of worn-down workmen's coaches in all over brown. Thanks for sharing this, quite an eye-opener.

I was also interested to see your comment about the Margate versions of these coaches being more crisp. I didn't know that. Good to know for possible future conversions. You mention doing more work on the bogies. I believe there are replacement ones to be had on Shapeways, although I don't have personal experience with them.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2