APT-E - Second Test Sample Video

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

With the gas turbine sounds that was very Thunderbirds.

I seem to have missed the bit where the prototype super train derails and is left precariously dangling over the baseboard edge with seemingly no hope of rescue...

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good, can't wait to get mine. I was a bit surprised by the lights, was it just me or were there white headlights on the tail end,as well? If you pause the video at exactly 3:36 just as the tail power car goes into the tunnel mouth they look white to me, In fact they look brighter that the headlines shown earlier as the train leaves the station for the second time.

I have to say as an April Fool's joke this has been quite elaborate.

I mean, scanning the prototype, getting Locomotion in on it, building a model, putting sound in it and then running it on a railway.

I've heard they're planning their next ruse already and even inviting us along to the scanning.

Who ever heard of someone wanting to do an APT prototype, I mean really, do they have us for complete fools.

Looking really good, can't wait to get mine. I was a bit surprised by the lights, was it just me or were there white headlights on the tail end,as well? If you pause the video at exactly 3:36 just as the tail power car goes into the tunnel mouth they look white to me, In fact they look brighter that the headlines shown earlier as the train leaves the station for the second time.

There are no lights visible on the sample.  The LEDs are on, but the GPPS lightways haven't been polished yet so no light can get through.

If you watch the departure from the station you can actually see the red LED in the MASSIVE GAP between the nose and the body.  We're fixing that too..... 

This is still an early body sample. The factory is working on a huge list of corrections now, the biggest being the fit between the shells and floors and between the body and the nose.

You can see this sample in person at York.  We shot the video on Monday and sent the sample on Tuesday.  It's currently en route via FedEx.  Hopefully there are no unforeseen delays otherwise we will have a rather empty display case.

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

There are no lights visible on the sample.  The LEDs are on, but the GPPS lightways haven't been polished yet so no light can get through.

If you watch the departure from the station you can actually see the red LED in the MASSIVE GAP between the nose and the body.  We're fixing that too..... 

This is still an early body sample. The factory is working on a huge list of corrections now, the biggest being the fit between the shells and floors and between the body and the nose.

You can see this sample in person at York.  We shot the video on Monday and sent the sample on Tuesday.  It's currently en route via FedEx.  Hopefully there are no unforeseen delays otherwise we will have a rather empty display case.

-Jason

Thanks for the reply, I'd love to see it model at York, but it's out of the country for me, I'll just have to be patient

Jason has asked for a two tone so yes there will be one. However, in true Bif style this will be no run of the mill two-tone that you quickly get bored of. Sometimes it will go hi-lo, sometimes lo-hi. In each case the hi and lo will be of variable length (within reason of course), and occasionally you might get a three tone!

The overall sound project is still in development. The video only shows the engine sounds but also on there so far are horns, tilt pump, hydro-kinetic braking pump & door slams and a multistart option.

I have also been given a recording of intercom 'chat' between the test engineers on board and although this would not have been heard outside the train I shall try and include this for its historical interest.

I'm under strict instructions from Kit not to put any flange squeal on because they virtually never squealed (I think he said the wheels steered themselves in some way).

I too am looking forward to seeing and hearing this at York. I've only heard it rattling around my layout in a Class 25 test-bed loco!

RIP Mike Walton.

Can I have his layout?

Mike is expected to make a full recovery, plus, even if he didn't, those of us who help him operate said layout have first dibs....

Cheers,

David

It looks and sounds great, I can't wait to receive my sound fitted version.  A question, and I apologise if this has already been answered elsewhere, how many decoders are used?

In this sample, there are two LokSounds as we haven't finished the inter-car wiring yet.

In the production model, the plan is for a LokSound and a LokPilot.  If they don't work well together we will have to go with two LokSounds but I'd rather not as we would actually like to make a profit on this model!

-Jason

In this sample, there are two LokSounds as we haven't finished the inter-car wiring yet.

In the production model, the plan is for a LokSound and a LokPilot.  If they don't work well together we will have to go with two LokSounds but I'd rather not as we would actually like to make a profit on this model!

-Jason

I should add there will be speakers in both ends, whatever option we go with.

-Jason

Wow what a refreshing new approach to marketing a new model........ fantastic model and that's from someone that's really not into the prototype and very unlikely to purchase one to be honest.

These guys are 'nuts' but very cleaver and very often a certain amount of madness and a touch of genius is a good formula !!!!

Like the white horse on the hillside in the video :jester:

One things for certain I will be watching out for the next project

Archived